Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 12: Seeds

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 12: Seeds

Last week?s much-hyped episode could charitably be called a letdown, so the logical follow-up is that this week's episode is probably one of the best thus far.

Read Full Article

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Grenge Di Origin said:
Can anyone tell me if the rest of the series is worth watching, without spoiling?
I haven't caught the most recent two episodes, but to this point I've found that despite my best attempts to like it, I just really feel like it hasn't gone anywhere yet. Admittedly, I don't do a lot of TV watching in the first place, but I haven't found myself caring too much about any of the characters and there does seem to be anything to recommend it if you don't just want to see everything Marvel.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
The Runaways? That's a stretch, even by adaptation standards. They can re-write anything they want, but being teenagers with trust issues is so ingrained in the premise that an optimistic 20 something would seem very out of place.

I mean, I get we're still reeling from "john" Blake, but god forbid she be an original character.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Grenge Di Origin said:
Has the show not done anything interesting? Has it introduced any heroes or plot points that look to be crucial in the main Marvel movies? Content is reputation, not the name, a fact that I fear the show has completely misunderstood. Are my fears founded?
Honestly you're probably better off just watching an episode or two (You can do so for free over on ABC's website) and judging for yourself. Personally I wasn't terribly impressed, and would not recommend the show as it stands, but your opinion may differ.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Okay, huge speculation here, but... It's been a running gag that Skye would always suggest that, when they found something unknown and super-powers related, she should suggest that it is telekinesis, and when shot down by Fitz/Simmons she would always argue that since it's just never been recorded, it could still be an undiscovered possibility.

She's been fighting for it pretty hard, yeah?
Wouldn't it be funny if THAT turned out to be her super power?

Just my guess.

Lithmus

Dec 13, 2011
Falterfire that was the case for ABC through the first half of the series, now they have changed their online policy now instead requiring you to provide a cable provider's proof of ownership. What a real chaff, I enjoyed what was there before, but luckily I've been catching them over at my parent's house as they actually come out. It is inconvenient but works out.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
One more guess for Skye: Jessica Drew, Spider-Woman. She has one of the most absurdly convoluted, over-retconned backstories in all of Marvel (at one point, she believed that she was actually a common spider evolved-up into a humanoid-looking form by The High Evolutionary) but it usually involves receiving powers at a young age somewhere remote. She's been both a S.H.I.E.L.D and HYDRA agent, and also has connections to The Skrulls ("Chitauri" in the movieverse.)
Wait, can Marvel Studios do Spider-Woman? I kinda figured that, with her namesake, it would tie into the Spider-Man franchise bundle now being held by Sony (for now). Or is she one of those characters, like Namor, is in a gray area on who owns the rights? Either way, good theory.

And now I'm curious to see you cover Spider-Woman in a future Big Picture episode. If only to see you try to make sense of a character with an origin way more confusing that Supergirl's.

Halbert

Jul 13, 2008
I really enjoyed this episode, although I'm nervous about Skye being the superhero on the team. Also a little disappointed that they went with the "lightning bolt causes superpowers" trope, but I've accepted worse.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Grenge Di Origin said:
So I watched the first episode and thought it was kind of self-assured, looking more pretentious than potential.

Can anyone tell me if the rest of the series is worth watching, without spoiling?
As somebody who loves most of the Marvel movies (of the interconnected Marvel cinematic universe), I don't recommend AoS to people. I haven't seen or read anything that is likely to be a huge part of upcoming movies and nothing else justifies tuning in every week to watch it.

I started following it to keep up on all the happenings in the MCU, but was quickly dissatisfied with it after 3 episodes. I like to pop in here and read Bob's summary and speculation of each episode. This way I stay current on events and don't have to sit through or support the show.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
Actually Spider-Woman has very little to do with Spider-Man, aside from similar names and costumes. She's been much more closely associated with the Avengers, SHIELD and SWORD in the comics.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Grenge Di Origin said:
Falterfire said:
Grenge Di Origin said:
I haven't caught the most recent two episodes, but to this point I've found that despite my best attempts to like it, I just really feel like it hasn't gone anywhere yet. Admittedly, I don't do a lot of TV watching in the first place, but I haven't found myself caring too much about any of the characters and there does seem to be anything to recommend it if you don't just want to see everything Marvel.
The phrase "just want to see everything Marvel" alarms me. People shouldn't want to watch this show just because it's Marvel, they want to watch the show because it'd be something to be worth watching.

Has the show not done anything interesting? Has it introduced any heroes or plot points that look to be crucial in the main Marvel movies? Content is reputation, not the name, a fact that I fear the show has completely misunderstood. Are my fears founded?
To be fair, I believe they have introduced and expanded on a lot of elements that could tie in with the movies. Being light on the spoilers:
- Coulson is alive
- There are people with superpowers and advanced technology in the world (and the population keeps increasing)
- There is a secret organization that took over the turf of HYDRA and AIM (or maybe its one of those with a new name) and is growing to be a pretty formidable foe.

Any of these things could be interesting threads on their own, but given the smaller size and ambition of the series when compared with the movies, I don't know if we will ever see any of them being retroactively feed into the Marvel Cinema Universe.

vid87

May 17, 2010
For some reason, I'm not wild about the idea of Skye being Spider-Woman - not sure why, just don't like it. The Runaways, on the other hand, I believe is being greenlit as it's own movie. That to me would be a tricky franchise that would benefit from an inter-universe tie-in, and if Scarlett Witch's retconned origins and a possible Dr. Strange appearance means the introduction to full-on magic, I think Nico might be possible. My other thought that I'm not fond of but might be plausible is that she's just plain Asgardian. If one has already been living on Earth for centuries, who's to say another one hadn't come by?

I will say that I'm a little skeevy about Skye taking this so well, going so far as to pretty much make the full switch to SHIELD's side because "she was loved all along." I'm sorry, that's just too corny. Then again, Coulson going about a mission normally the split second after he found out two of his agents were having sex with each other tells me everyone in this universe is really hard to surprise in general.

Off that, I'm not familiar with Blizzard so it was a nice surprise and I'm kind've excited to think Centipede is building a roster of villains to hopefully unleash in the season finale.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Spider Woman would only be a great character reveal if she ended up having the same pheromone powers as in the comics. If only to see her order the Hulk to make her a sammich. Hulk like spider lady.

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
This show is dump. More dump than a cow dump.

I watched the first episode, with its big wow and was excited at the start. By the end I was like, 'hmmmm!, really?' I watched eps two, three and four, then stopped. It became torturous.

There's a few problems with it. The first of which is that this is a ABC show. In a world where all of the best tv is made for cable etc, doing this show with ABC was the worst move, ensuring that they can do a lot less with it, playing it safe. Don't be at all surprised that this is exactly why Marvel, rushed over to Netflix to strike up a deal, to make something a bit more adult via their Marvel Knights shows. This was rushed this through production and you can almost see the speed lines.

Secondly, having Josh Whedon do the honours was also a bad. He is the kiss of death to any show. Don't get me wrong, he's not without talent and is a nerd darling and all, but I don't think he's got a patch on Vince Gilligan. The only way Whedon can improve is to get away from doing anything nerd related. Go and see Netflix and do something totally new, Whedon. Who knows, you might get to a third season.

Last of all, I feel that Marvel are trying too hard to use this AoS series, as a kind of glue to link up their hero movies, which already sell enough on their own. Were it allowed to be its own thing, it would thrive more and not have to be so fan pandering.

Good luck to those that love to watch this mess, anyway.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
So the answer to Coulson's mysterious resurrection is... he got resurrected? That's it? How underwhelming.
And no I don't think there's any reason for it other than "audiences like the guy".

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
So the answer to Coulson's mysterious resurrection is... he got resurrected? That's it? How underwhelming.
And no I don't think there's any reason for it other than "audiences like the guy".
Yeah, it's actually a lot more complicated than that.

I still like the show, honestly. It doesn't take itself too seriously and it actually has gotten pretty dark, which is interesting. Still watching and still enjoying!