Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 13: T.R.A.C.K.S.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
To determine what Skye actually is, we need to first determine what she can't be.

A mutant.
Mutants are owned by 20th Century Fox, and I don't think they will allow Marvel to run that part of the business too.
Since we haven't seen or heard mention of mutants I think they are still off-limits for Marvel.

An Alien.
She had a physical when she came on board. You'd think they would notice. Unless she is the type of alien that is COMPLETELY identical to humans.
Or is Simmons is also part of the "protect Skye" movement, which would be idiotic.

Anything related to Spider-man.
Because you know, Sony owns that.

So, with mutant and alien out, what are we left with?
Time traveller? Something similar to X-23, but without the mutant connection? Genetic experiment?

No idea, to be honest.
The most interesting idea would be the X-23 treatment. A female clone of a powerful hero or villain.
Taskmaster seems to not be a stretch, she seems to pick up skills and abilities quickly.
Taskmaster is also one of the more notable and interesting Avengers enemy, and with a next few movies in the works, it seems to not be a bad idea to name-drop him, before Fox snaps him up.

But then again.

What we should remind ourselves of is that this show is also used to promote the other Marvel franchises.
So we could look into tying her into the existing movies and reveals.
Namely those at the end of The Avengers, or possibly Thor 2.
Thor 2 would mean something to do with The Collector or others like him.
Carina Walters seems to be a logical choice.

Or maybe something connected to Rocket Raccoon or Vin Diesel firewood or one of those other characters in that other thing.

With The Avengers we can go for something completely different.
Skye is the female "companion" of the major villain who showed his face there.
Probably on the run and in hiding on Earth. Erased her own mind probably to not give herself away.
She is also one of the major themes of the show, and we should remember the line that was said about her:
"Wherever she goes death follows."
She is Lady Death. Companion of Thanos.
He would also need a reason to go to earth. Besides the artefacts, that are in Thor's hands, who is also a protector of Earth.
Also, he smiled when they said "To challenge them is to court death", something that people who are familiar with Thanos know he does. They even have a "child" together, known as Rot.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
JenSeven said:
So, with mutant and alien out, what are we left with?
Time traveller? Something similar to X-23, but without the mutant connection? Genetic experiment?
Possibilities for Skye;

Kree - A more human like Alien. would tie into Guardians of the Galaxy. But doesn't really leave a lot to work with. Especially since Fox has the Skrulls as part of the FF license. (also rule out Skrull)

Inhuman - Humans genetically engineered by the Kree. Now that could be fun.

Spider Woman - Genetically engineered by Hydra. Ties to SHIELD. Could be fun.

Scorpion II - Camilla Black, Genetically Engineered daughter of AIM Scientist Supreme and dweeb who later became MODOK. SHIELD operative. Sub D-Lister so readily available.

Mantis - The early pre cosmic version of Mantis. Half Vietnamese orphan girl with confusing cosmic destiny. Ties to Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Silver Surfer.

secret Alien Love Child of Bruce Banner or the Hulk? - Sadly these exist. Both in male and female flavors.

Something totally horrible involving time travel? (pick any number of tiresome boring and contrived time lost refugees from some alternate future populating the Marvel books.)

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
the scheduling sucks, but i still enjoy the show.

one thing though, was i high and only imagined the Stan Lee cameo? because nobody mentions that one.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
teebeeohh said:
the scheduling sucks, but i still enjoy the show.

one thing though, was i high and only imagined the Stan Lee cameo? because nobody mentions that one.

Yeah was really surprised about no mention of this either, and had a good chuckle at it myself. I love his cameos.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
ComicsAreWeird said:
I really think Skye will end up becoming Spider Woman. The character has ties to S.H.I.E.L.D,is an orphan, gains her powers while in incubation on a "genetic accelerator"(not unlike what the character is going through now?) and kinda looks like her. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. might have introduced Jessica Drew right under fanboys' noses!
JaredXE said:
Well it's pretty obvious that Skye isn't Asgardian seeing as bullets didn't bounce off her like they do others. I think they are doing a new Spider-Woman origin, which is pretty cool seeing as how comic Spider-Woman is too damned complicated to keep straight in regard to which woman she is, what are her powers, her ties to Hydra/Shield/The Hand/Skrulls......

Also, Deathlok....wow. That is pretty old-school/D-lister. But I am confuzzled, he never really was a supervillain, he was more an anti-hero who killed the people that turned him into a monster.
SpiderWoman has no links to spiderMan, said for the name.
So legaly sony can't complain.
that being said, Candy Crush saga sued the Banner saga, over the word saga.
So i think they will stear clear from that one.

Asgardian, i don't know.
I would think that the Bezerker would reconise a felow asgardian.
And if S.H.I.E.L.D. can't tell she's Asgardian now, how were they able to do so back then?

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
As a huge marvel fan from youth, I keep questioning, why can't it be as great as game of thrones, prison break, walking dead or Sherlock? As of now it's just a mediocre series. Every episode that prison break cuts off of had me thinking for days: "what's gonna happen next???", but after seeing Michael is deadlok just make me feel: "meh".

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
ExtraDebit said:
why can't it be as great as game of thrones, prison break, walking dead or Sherlock
You obviously haven't seen the most recent season of Sherlock. It is bad, shallow and embarrassing.
If you want to keep your view that Sherlock is made to a high standard I would suggest skipping this 3rd season.
It seems to have dumbed down and become illogical and improbable, badly written and contrived.

I don't know much about comics nor recognize any of those characters they have introduced, but I that doesn't really turn me off the show.
I really like Bob's background explanation here and showing things I missed due to my lack of knowledge of the characters.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
ExtraDebit said:
As a huge marvel fan from youth, I keep questioning, why can't it be as great as game of thrones, prison break, walking dead or Sherlock? As of now it's just a mediocre series. Every episode that prison break cuts off of had me thinking for days: "what's gonna happen next???", but after seeing Michael is deadlok just make me feel: "meh".
I think character development is the key here.

The best comperison is Arrow i think.
Al the support characters have a decent build up, and have screentime devoded to them to do so.(sometimes not even plot related)
Not just Arrow and his crew, but also Oliver, friends and family.
And even the Enemy's.

In S.H.I.E.L.D all the characters are somewhat bland.
Michael being deadlok, build up was not bad but not quite there.

For example, If they went the Arrow's island route with Coulson.
Putting the puzzle togeter one piece at a time per episode, that would have workt way beter.

But the biggest limit still is the big continuity with all things marvel.
But they don't really have the butget to do so.
So they can talk about about Stark/IronMan, Thor or Captain America, but can't hire them to play their parts.

With Nick Fury they were trowing us a bone.
And Stan lee, that was more of a gage than anything else.

Anway, for the moment i do find is interesting enouf to keep waching.

K.ur

Jul 31, 2013
Am i the only one to see fitz going bad?
He smiles less and less and more and more accepts offensive use of technic, even using it himself.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
JenSeven said:
An Alien.
She had a physical when she came on board. You'd think they would notice. Unless she is the type of alien that is COMPLETELY identical to humans.
Great. Now you've got me thinking they'll use the Secret Invasion bit from the comics and the second season of Avengers EMH. Who owns the rights to the skrulls for the cinematic universe?

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
In regards to the "love triangle", when I saw that moment with Ward as he looked hurt that Coulson was stitching up May, my mind didn't immediately go to "Oooh, he thinks Coulson and May might have a thing going on". To be honest, I don't think it has anything to do with Coulson. Yeah, it did cross my mind, but what I really took from this scene was that May specifically refused help from Ward because, after the conversation they had on the train where he implied there just might be something more, she was instinctively trying to push him even further away. Even though I don't doubt she could have done it herself, May did in fact need help, as she allowed Coulson to help her with the stitching. This is why Ward has a hurt look on his face when he sees this and why May reacts like she's saying "Dammit" in her head when Ward walks in. They both know she singled him out.

I took from this that this whole no-strings-attached relationship has a double-edge: With Ward, it clouds his judgement because of his attachment to May. With May, it clouds her judgement because she is trying to push away any attachment. In both cases, they're singling each other out in a way they wouldn't with the rest of the team.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
MovieBob said:
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 12: T.R.A.C.K.S.

This is good television ? it?s just not the weekly dose of Marvel Universe worldbuilding awesome-sauce that it keeps acting like it?s just about to be.

Read Full Article
This is something I realized not so long ago and kept forgetting to post about, but this seems as perfect the thread to do it in.

Agents of Shield will never be Whedon-quality. Because this is a show under more unique restrictions. This is not an original idea like, Buffy, Dollhouse, Angel or Firefly. This is a TV series based of a series of movies, that has to remember to not spoil anything coming up.

This is the definitive 'Poorly Disguised Pilot Episode' stretched out into a TV series. From this series the villains of FOUR Netflix TV shows will be introduced. There will also be canon exploration of the other movies, and will keep growing like this. Joss cannot spoil any of the TV shows or movies he is associated with because it will destroy the premise before it gets out of the gate.

AoS will have occasional brilliant episodes, but guys, please stop expecting the high standard of TV that Joss normally provides, because we are not going to get it. It will be a good TV show that can reach levels of greatness, but we will never get Whedonverse quality.

Just take the show by its own merits, please.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Why are American shows so segmented? It's rare to get one released week after week. It's rare British shows ever mimic this. There are shows like Dr Who which do get split into 2 parts (one part being 6 episodes then the next chunk being 7) but even then the stories are contained within those episodes halves.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Jeroenr said:
ComicsAreWeird said:
I really think Skye will end up becoming Spider Woman. The character has ties to S.H.I.E.L.D,is an orphan, gains her powers while in incubation on a "genetic accelerator"(not unlike what the character is going through now?) and kinda looks like her. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. might have introduced Jessica Drew right under fanboys' noses!

Asgardian, i don't know.
And if S.H.I.E.L.D. can't tell she's Asgardian now, how were they able to do so back then?
As you said, SpiderWoman has no links to Spiderman. Marvel Studios is using Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver on Avengers 2 even though they could also be used by FOX since they're both Avengers and mutants...so they'll will have no problems with using Spider-Woman if they want to.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
ComicsAreWeird said:
Jeroenr said:
ComicsAreWeird said:

Asgardian, i don't know.
As you said, SpiderWoman has no links to Spiderman. Marvel Studios is using Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver on Avengers 2 even though they could also be used by FOX since they're both Avengers and mutants...so they'll will have no problems with using Spider-Woman if they want to.
Right, i forgot about them.

I belief FOX is even using them as well in the new X-men movie.
The lawyers of FOX and Marvel agreed that neither had exclusif claim on Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.
Here is the catch, FOX can't make any Avengers references and Marvel can't call them mutants amongst other legal boundarys
So it's not that simple.

also
Sony can still claim that Spiderwoman looks to mutch like spiderman.
And if they argue a good case, they can still win.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Jeroenr said:

The lawyers of FOX and Marvel agreed that neither had exclusif claim on Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.
Here is the catch, FOX can't make any Avengers references and Marvel can't call them mutants amongst other legal boundarys
So it's not that simple.

also
Nah, Sony doesn't stand a chance of winning such a claim, since the characters share almost no history. For further proof:

And yes Quicksilver has been confirmed in X-Men days of future past.There are already official photos of him)costume sucks btw). Scarlet Witch hasn't been confirmed on that movie yet. Indeed Marvel can't reference their mutant heritage or that Magneto is their father. It would be sweet if the studios got their shit together and crosspromoted their franchises. Both movies would be hyped, boosting their visibility (and profit) and the fanboys would go ballistic.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
ComicsAreWeird said:
Jeroenr said:

So it's not that simple.

also
Nah, Sony doesn't stand a chance of winning such a claim, since the characters share almost no history. For further proof:
I still think Sony could win, with a small amount of luck.
You don't have to be right to win.
But that's just repeating the same argument, so let use agree to disagree.

I dont think Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is going that way anyway, for now they seem to try to keep out of the way of the movies.
So i dont really expect them to drop a bomb like this one.

And yes Quicksilver has been confirmed in X-Men days of future past.There are already official photos of him)costume sucks btw). Scarlet Witch hasn't been confirmed on that movie yet. Indeed Marvel can't reference their mutant heritage or that Magneto is their father. It would be sweet if the studios got their shit together and crosspromoted their franchises. Both movies would be hyped, boosting their visibility (and profit) and the fanboys would go ballistic.
\
Personly i am o.k. with keeping them apart.
X-men universe is used to a lot of superpower people and they have a balance. (o.k. rogue did get the short end)
The Avangers have a balance as wel, but what i read about the Avengers 2 it's starting to get a bit convoluted.
The Avangers are a Superteam amongst normal people, adding mutants will change the feel of the world a lot.
The battle of New York would have lookt a lot different if the mutant residents joint the battle.

I thinkt the villians pose a bigger problem, The Avengers wanted to use the Scrull as the aliens.
But couln'd becase they are in the F4 deal, even though they havent bene used at that point or were even planing to.
And in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. you see them struggle to work around the term "Mutant".

Defining villians like DR. Doom and Magneto can be exculusif, but villian who did a lot of crossovers shouldn'd be.