Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 4: Eye Spy

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 4: Eye Spy

The series that proves you don?t need to look like a million bucks so long as you can deliver a sense of wonder ? as in, ?I wonder which sliver of Avengers movie continuity or Marvel Universe arcana will make a teasing verbal cameo this time!?

Read Full Article

Manthraxx

Nov 11, 2009
Technically they could reinvent H.A.M.M.E.R. as an evil counterpart to S.H.I.E.L.D.
I wouldn't put it past them...

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Is there one person whose job it is to keep track of all this?
Yes, why do you think they have Joss Whedon in charge until he's done with Avengers 3, and in Charge of Agents of Shield? His job is to be the Marvel Bullpen all rolled up into one human being.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I expect the rear-echelon support newbs to be incompetent in action scenes. But Ward should have shown a bit more thought when he was spoofing Amadour's eye-feed. Getting nailed by the mirror was fine, that's the kind of mistake even a professional can stumble into in a crisis situation. But shouldn't he have worn gloves in the first place in case his hands showed up in the feed and the handler saw he was clearly not black? Maybe wear clothing more like what she would wear? I'm not even looking down at my hands as I type this and I can see the skin colour of my hands just in my peripheral vision.

Also, I might be misinformed, but I thought most non-native speakers throughout the Eastern Hemisphere who learn English usually learn British English. Can you really assume that someone who uses British terminology is necessarily an Englishman, and not from the Continent, or even Asia or Africa? For that matter, could you even assume he was a man?

Obviously they turned out to be right, but I still think that conclusion was arrived at prematurely.

That's just a bit of nitpicking though. This episode was much better than the previous three. If they can keep this up, they just might have a good series on their hands.

vid87

May 17, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
They can do everything except act like actual secret agents. At the point where...
It takes the geek squad almost a minute to figure out they were looking at live video feed of the van THEY were hiding in
...I felt like I was watching an episode of American Dad.
*Skye readies her gun, drawing on her expert, focused training from one of the world's most professional spy organizations...gun clip falls off*

Why do they keep sending her on missions if she's the most likely to get everyone killed? Even without her dubious connections that is a MASSIVE liability.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
One other Coulson tidbit from the episode that was very very interesting. In the opening scene he is up in the cockpit with Melinda May lamenting whether it is too late for him to learn to fly, and how nice it must be. May gives him several strange looks at this.

Later in the episode we see Skye talking with Coulson in his room, and she comments on his affinity for old things. The thing she is staring at while she comments is a cold war era fighter pilots helmet. Why would Coulson have a pilots helmet in his collection? Was he a pilot? and is this something that he lost along with getting rusty with guns?

usually_Insane

Oct 5, 2012
Nitpicking from sweden, Loved the inclusion of sergels torg and even the polite Thank you by Agent Coulson. but then they claim they flew to Belorussia all the country and road scenes were obviously filmed in sweden and the town/city Scene on a set. could they have planned to have the whole episode in sweden and they just changed it, or did they just feel that they didn't want to film in two seperate locations?

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
usually_Insane said:
Nitpicking from sweden, Loved the inclusion of sergels torg and even the polite Thank you by Agent Coulson. but then they claim they flew to Belorussia all the country and road scenes were obviously filmed in sweden and the town/city Scene on a set. could they have planned to have the whole episode in sweden and they just changed it, or did they just feel that they didn't want to film in two seperate locations?
It's just budget constraints. Having an exotic filming location kind of limits your ability to have another one when the show isn't based out of EU. Imagine having to fly to Sweden for a couple of scenes and then to Belarus for an even smaller portion of the episode and THEN go back to the U.S. to clean up anything else. It's straining on top of everything else. Also, most would probably not detect that it's the same locale. I certainly didn't, and I'm from that side of the world x)

Makabriel

May 13, 2013
*checks website*
Hmm.. nope, I'm not on Moviemistakes.com. I swear I feel like I'm on nitpickers forum whenever I read the threads on these things..
Gods forbid they find a way to inject humor into the series.

Good episode all around. SHIELD continues to pick up steam, in my opinion. Getting smoother by the episode.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Haven't seen it yet (and only skimmed the article to avoid getting too many spoilers), but when I saw the Wrecking Crew highlighted I was kinda disappointed to find out they weren't in the episode. I'd like to see some proper marvel villains crop up in the series.
I feel this series has some interesting potential but is struggling to find momentum. I'm getting quite fed up with Skye, both as a character and an actress.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
The telepathy exchange was pretty weird, in that I thought it was silly how they'd shoot down that aspect in a universe filled superhumans, aliens, portals to other worlds, gods, and even possibly MAGIC! Eh, hopefully there will be a psychic villain or character at some point to prove them wrong.

Trisha Lynn

Jan 13, 2010
Sgt. Sykes said:
I wonder if in real life, a bunch of masked guys with briefcases entering a subway wouldn't be flagged as terrorists by some automated system.
I was also confused by this part. If this happened in NYC, someone would have Tweeted about it, and then the police would have also shown up to ask what the hell was going on and asking them to open their cases. I also got some weird flashbacks to the London underground bombings.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Manthraxx said:
Technically they could reinvent H.A.M.M.E.R. as an evil counterpart to S.H.I.E.L.D.
I wouldn't put it past them...
I really hope they don't, I want H.A.M.M.E.R. to show up...in about 8 years when all the pieces are in place for a Dark Reign movie/series, wasting the organization now while the good guys are still on top would suck, I loved the desperation the groups like The Dark Avengers brought to the Marvel Universe. When the good guys had to hide in basements and back alleys and the villains ruled the boardrooms and media.

As for the episode, I was really excited to see the Asian dude with the flame generating powers, I also though Sunfire for sure! Then I remembered Sunfire is a mutant so they probably won't touch him, which makes me sad because he's such an awesome, surly character, like Wolverine only with 10 times the pride.

NathLines

May 23, 2010
Trisha Lynn said:
Sgt. Sykes said:
I wonder if in real life, a bunch of masked guys with briefcases entering a subway wouldn't be flagged as terrorists by some automated system.
I was also confused by this part. If this happened in NYC, someone would have Tweeted about it, and then the police would have also shown up to ask what the hell was going on and asking them to open their cases. I also got some weird flashbacks to the London underground bombings.
We wouldn't get worried about something like this in Sweden. In fact, I can totally imagine that some group of people will organize and re-enact that entire scene for laughs. My best friend has that exact same mask(except white) that he likes to wear, if I told him about this episode he would most likely go outside with it more often.

We actually had a terrorist once. Had 8 bombs on him if I remember correctly. Only 1 blew up, and that one blew up inwards. Only managed killed himself and broke a window.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Makabriel said:
*checks website*
Hmm.. nope, I'm not on Moviemistakes.com. I swear I feel like I'm on nitpickers forum whenever I read the threads on these things..
Gods forbid they find a way to inject humor into the series.
It's not very humorous when it's unbelievable that it would even happen. That's just sloppy. Plenty of shows have humor but their humor doesn't cause tons of plot holes.

Anyway, the episode was alright but it wasn't anything special. It was once again filled with plot holes. Normally I don't mind a few of them but with this show, it's way too often. When they happen so often, it puts me in a much more negative mood while watching.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
NathLines said:
Trisha Lynn said:
Sgt. Sykes said:
We wouldn't get worried about something like this in Sweden. In fact, I can totally imagine that some group of people will organize and re-enact that entire scene for laughs. My best friend has that exact same mask(except white) that he likes to wear, if I told him about this episode he would most likely go outside with it more often.

We actually had a terrorist once. Had 8 bombs on him if I remember correctly. Only 1 blew up, and that one blew up inwards. Only managed killed himself and broke a window.
On top of the fact that they were transporting diamonds and were trained, which probably means local authorities would be at least somewhat informed since the whole point of the "50 identically dressed men none of whom know who has the right case" is so that if the info of the cargo leaked, there'd be no good way to identify the right one. I'm kind of confused why people are so estranged by this.
RedDeadFred said:
It's not very humorous when it's unbelievable that it would even happen. That's just sloppy. Plenty of shows have humor but their humor doesn't cause tons of plot holes.

Anyway, the episode was alright but it wasn't anything special. It was once again filled with plot holes. Normally I don't mind a few of them but with this show, it's way too often. When they happen so often, it puts me in a much more negative mood while watching.
Dem plot holes.

If you know what I'm saying.