Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 5: Girl In The Flower Dress

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 5: Girl In The Flower Dress

Last week?s really good episode wasn?t a fluke ? Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. seems to have found it?s groove, and that groove is quick-moving spy business infused with sci-fi fantasy elements.

Read Full Article

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I liked the previous episodes so far, but with this one I was bothered by some major continuity (?) errors.

Take the episode's climax, where Coulson and May are in the room with Scorch. They are in trouble and call for help, while Skye is being held captive on the plane. - Cut for the Advertisement - Coulson and May are now behind these huge containers, while Scorch is standing in the middle of the room, bragging, instead of burning those metal containers. - How did Coulson and May get into cover without being burned?

Next Skye and Clark Gregg rush into the building to help them - How did they get there so fast? Is the plane parked right outside this downtown office building? If it was further away, how did Coulson and May survive that long in a room with a guy that can summon fire?

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
The show is growing on me. Still not great, but holding interest.

I doubt the Skye's side mystery is solved though. It's very comic booky to lie with as much truth as possible when playing the undercover villain, so while I hold no doubt her story was true, I also expect that it coming out the way it did served as the cover she'd need if she ever got found out.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Exterminas said:
I liked the previous episodes so far, but with this one I was bothered by some major continuity (?) errors.

Take the episode's climax, where Coulson and May are in the room with Scorch. They are in trouble and call for help, while Skye is being held captive on the plane. - Cut for the Advertisement - Coulson and May are now behind these huge containers, while Scorch is standing in the middle of the room, bragging, instead of burning those metal containers. - How did Coulson and May get into cover without being burned?

Next Skye and Clark Gregg rush into the building to help them - How did they get there so fast? Is the plane parked right outside this downtown office building? If it was further away, how did Coulson and May survive that long in a room with a guy that can summon fire?
She wasn't on the plane, she was with Grant trying to give access to the systems to Miles (who was on the plane). Skye, Grant, Coulson and May all went inside the building together.

Maybe the advertisement break cut out a little more than it should... Or make you blinked for far too long.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
hermes200 said:
Skye, Grant, Coulson and May all went inside the building together.
I actually just finished watching this episode. Skye and Grant were not in the building with Coulson and May. Coulson and May went in with Scorch's handler who was promptly scorched. Skye Grant, other hacker guy and Fitz&Simmons were all on the plane. Or in a shield forward base thing.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I liked how the show acknowledged how stupid "Scorch" was as a codename, but then they kept going with it, and it was just annoying to hear. Sounds like the name of a Rob Liefeld creation. Aside from that, the episode was a fairly weak one, in my opinion. Just waiting for when they do finally get to reveal behind Coulson's Tahiti recovery.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I'm surprised there was no mention of REDACTED. In the comics Agent Coulson borrows the talents of Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Mockingbird for top-secret missions involving assassinations and wiping out the red on the ledger. After every mission, or in case of capture, the avengers on the team are mindwiped with a single word so if anything morally objectionable happened, which often does, they don't remember a thing about it. The tech involved in the wipes has been revealed to also be in use on top-level SHIELD officers. This leads me to think that Skye's real parents are, or were, deep-cover ops under Coulson's employ.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
It's nice to see the show finding its grove and we're getting deeper with the centipede makers and Skye's past slowly revealing itself. Plus last night's episode was very entertaining. I'm just wondering if we're going to get more info on this mystery group that is working on their "toy soldiers". I keep betting on A.I.M. under new management but is it being controlled by MODOK or someone else?

gjkbgt

May 5, 2013
I like reading these, it's funny to see who much opinions can differ.

But....
One point: you say this show is well written, that is provably wrong.

It's not even an opinion, there is no way in which agents of shield can be call well written.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
None of them have been good so far.....or it could be there is more for comic book fans? Bob comes in with all these links and nods to the marvel comics, so is he being nostalgic? For now, im just watching because of the Marvel name and it has the ability to have lots of awesome stuff. The chance to be a superhero/villain based series. Links to the movies as well as showing heroes and villains that would never get a movie made of them.

So far, the show is just ok. Characters are uninteresting. A lot of it seems to be "wink wink...Avengers....wink wink" than anything else. Granted its still only the 4th episode so i will give it time to build characters etc But judging it on the last few episodes.....i cant see them making a 2nd season.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I keep giving this show second and third chances but I can never get over the fact most of the cast looks 20 and sucks balls. Even Clark Gregg isn't that good an actor, I'm sure I've seen him wear the same expression for every occassion, whether he's dying or having coffee. And the Selena Gomez (Skye) character comes across as the kind of Mary Sue you'd find in a bad fanfic. And everybody speaks like a freaking Valley Girl, with, like, sarcasm, like, and eye-rolly condescendence, like? Buffy all over. I'm sick to my stomach with this vanilla smugness as a substitute for wit. These are supposed to be g-men dammit, not teenagers! I swear this show is engineered to feed off fan expectations and nothing more.

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
I find it funny that they can afford some pretty damn good fire effects from the special FX department, but they can't visibly change a file extension before showing it on camera. C'mon, guys? That directory full of MP4 video files isn't going to fool anyone who's done anything with video ever. "traffic.mp4" is not something a script kiddie would run to ruin an intersection.

warrenEBB

Nov 4, 2008
It's wild how all over the map the fan reactions are.
I've really been enjoying the show. But having just finished Breaking Bad, and switching over to The Walking Dead and American Horror Story, and looking forward to Hannibal's return - i have to admit the show is incredibly cheap and silly. in comparison. to those best of show dogs. eh. which is unfair. i get that.

Bob's retelling skipped my favorite moment in the episode : when the evil scientists say "oh (no) you gave him a name?"
Maybe it's because I've watched the walking dead episodes a few times each so far this season, but the notion that you shouldn't name the animals because you don't want to get too connected to them - made me laugh out loud. These scientist ladies are SO EVIL!
... but maybe I was reading too much into that line?

Still, it made it funnier when Coulson used the same line later. because callbacks are easy funny. (though when he says it, Coulson is basically saying "oh shit, now HE thinks he's one of these super heroes. !#^@").

* I loved the various plot twists. Especially how Ward goes out on a limb to vouch for Skye RIGHT before she fucks up and exposes how untrustworthy she is. drama!

* This episode reminded me a lot of that early Dollhouse episode "Man on the street" where they stopped fucking around got back to the core plot. which appears to be an evil organization hellbent on making unstable people into false heroes. It was nice to see another nice guy getting lost in the power trip. (which arguably was also the hacker guy's problem).

* I was really peeved at the way the sexy hacker guy hacked the buildings cooling system by making gestures at a floating hologram. Was also peeved that they took the time to say Scorch's blood platelettes were fire proof. If they just took his blood platelets, it implies they took out his blood and put it back? why not just say his blood is fire proof? why not have his dilemma at the end be : he's almost completely drained of blood?!?! this would read much more clearly. instead they introduced this blood platelette angle that makes no scientific sense. ALl of their scifi (and hacking) so far has been in this weird half retarded place. Wish they'd either back off or go deep.

* Also, I'd totally disagree about the idea that Coulson is fun because he isn't cool. he's cool incarnate! WTF!?!?!
That's why it was funny that he revealed a dorky card collection in the Avengers. He wears expensive suits and never loses his cool in all his appearances until then. Even when he lay dying, he calmly kept his cool and make a snarky observation. I think we'll see him continuing to express his ridiculously high cool factor as the show goes on. sorry. bring on the sexy ladies.

* that said, this summary also skipped over maybe the worst moment on the show so far. When coulson stiffly hobbled out and emptied his tranq gun into the fire like an idiot. I thought was bizarrely aweful. The first shot failed, so he continued to unload? making him the worst field agent ever? It was so bad it almost made Coulson seem.... uncool. OMG! Maybe i do have it all wrong. :(

Odin442

May 13, 2009
warrenEBB said:
It was so bad it almost made Coulson seem.... uncool. OMG! Maybe i do have it all wrong. :(
No, no, I think you're half-right. Coulson, to me, has always been this super cool guy precisely because he KNOWS he's the lamest guy in the room, with the suit and the tie and the straight job amidst wisecrackers like Tony Stark... and Coulson just doesn't care. He knows that he should be all self-conscious about his Captain America traing cards, and his comic book collection, and all his geeky hobbies... but he's not, because he doesn't care if he's lame. Man's got a job to do. Coulson is what all of us who were shy, introvert geeks throughout school wish we could have been, and that makes him the coolest guy we can imagine.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
The devoloping metaplot in this series reaks of fanfiction. Very bad fanfiction. "Let's show them what OUR villians can do with Extremis!"

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Ugh... The story in this episode was just stupid. It really felt like they chickened out with Skye's rising tide story. Plus the whole mini story with Scorch was basically retreading episode one's story. Reusing material only five episodes in is ridiculous.

The acting during the love scene was laughably bad and filled with terrible dialogue. Skye's character just doesn't work and the actress who plays her is awful. To be honest, I was really hoping that Coulson was just going to shoot her in the head at the end. I would actually give this show another chance if that had happened.

Another stupid thing in the episode was Coulson firing his entire clip into Scorch when he could see it wasn't working. Then, he felt the need to trump his own stupidity and yells out "I'm out". That's just the kind of information you DON'T want to be giving to a guy who's trying to kill you.

Someone's already mentioned the continuity issues (when Coulson has the fire ball shot right at him and then magically appears behind cover was very obvious).

Also, the CGI in this episode was probably the worst yet. The lady burning looked almost so bad that I thought the guy who made Birdemic did the effects. The plane looked as terrible as usual and the other fire effects looked equally bad.

Anyway, the only thing I liked about this episode was that they finally caught Skye in her bullshit. I've given this show five episodes and it's only given me one that was any good. I'd say I gave it a fair chance. It doesn't deserve anymore.

jng2058

Random Bystander
Sep 10, 2008
Say, just so everyone...and the headline writer...knows. This is the FIFTH episode of AoS, not the fourth.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
Seriously don't get some of these fan-reactions. Skye is a Mary-Sue? How? She has been portrayed repeatedly as an idealist who is proven wrong and shown how naïve she can be, and she actually ends up getting into trouble for it. It's all winks and nudges to the Avengers? They mentioned Steve Rogers ONCE in this episode and suddenly it is all about the bigger movies? Coulson is stupid for firing more than once at a target only protected by a shield made of flames that may be breached or go down at any second? Seriously?

I liked this episode a lot. World-building in plenty, Skye's character gets a lot more interesting now that she is made to pay for her scheming. The new villain is a character I just love to hate already and the effects were pretty cool.

Winthrop

Apr 7, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
And am I the only one who found it really obnoxious how that woman was always wearing the same dress? And the abduction? What if he had decided to fry her right there? Took them forever to knock him unconscious.
I think these may cancel each other out actually. Its explicitly stated that the dress was fireproof (although I do not believe Scorch was aware of that), so it would make sense she would wear it during the abduction and during her time around him in the lab.

OT: Overall I liked the episode. I don't view Skye as a Mary Sue as she is often portrayed as a selfish shortsighted idiot who just THINKS she is a badass. Additionally, I like Ward. He is a bit bland, but I like the way his and Skye's relationship has developed. Like the fact that he stood up for her in this episode despite logically knowing that he should be suspicious, its apparent that he actually does care about the team more than he likes to admit or maybe even more than he realizes.