Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 6: F.Z.Z.T.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Review - Episode 6: F.Z.Z.T.

Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. comes back after a one-week break with an episode that's not quite up to the standards of the "Whoa! This suddenly got A LOT better!"

Read Full Article

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
One thing I noticed that Bob did not mention was that in the Coulson/Firefighter pre-death scene, Coulson asks the firefighter about risking his life and having a dangerous job before assuring him about the "other-side". I thought this might have hinted at Valhalla, aka the viking afterlife reserved for warriors. "Tahiti" might have been Valhalla, or whatever the Marvel/Thor equivalent of Valhalla is.

Darmani

Apr 26, 2010
I thought it was a comforting lie. He was too generic but had an understanding.

I figured the revelation was just what happened at the end. Phil is Phil just.. .traumatized and put together maybe with a cybord heart (hence the elevated iron in the blood)

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Thanks for doing these Bob, I enjoy reading what you think about this show!

I for one remain entertained, although this week it was a little too heavy on the emo side for me. But the actors managed to pull it off and I was still really enjoying watching it.

Adding a gay character would for me personally be really cool in a big budget show like this. Excited for next week!

Malconvoker

Nov 1, 2011
I really enjoyed this weeks episode, mostly because of Fitz/Simmons relationship and how it plays out like really close siblings. Fitz is starting to become one of my favorites of the cast and I'm glad we got more emotions out of Simmons other than "yay! Science~!"

azra_jael

Mar 19, 2010
I think I'm in the minority in that I really like Fitz/Simmons so I was really happy with this episode. It was nice getting those tidbits of background about them and seeing them do more than just SCIENCE! all the time. Also Skye is becoming less annoying to me as the show goes on, luckily.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Did it get better yet? I really want to like it but I couldn't watch it after the second episode D:

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Was it just me, but during the May/Coulson scene, did May imply that she too also died at one point?

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Andrew Siribohdi said:
I don't understand the complaints about this series. I don't think it's bad at all.
Same here. It's the first time I've watched a network TV show after switching to Satellite TV back in 2000. I'm wondering how much the next episode (or is that the episode after) will tie in to Thor: The Dark World.

musim

Nov 22, 2009
I've been back and forth on this series. Its been a fairly lackluster series so far and I've hated Fitz and Simmons. I was convinced those characters couldn't act. This episode changed my mind on that and made me love all of these characters. Previously I mainly watched for Coulsen and May. Now I'll be watching for pretty much all of them except Skye. Skye oddly enough hasn't won me over.

Really hope they make use of their connective tissue to the Marvel movies. Starting to doubt they will.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Great write up Bob. But you might want to set your DVR a little broader. There is an after credits scene between Agent Coulson and Agent Blake on their arrival at the Sandbox. Blake is politely chastising Coulson for his transparent violation of protocal. Coulson goes completely badass in his response.

I loved the scene between Coulson and May. It is great seeing just how good the series A list actors can be when playing against one another. So much told with so few words. I think Bob is not completely orrect about these two characters. This isn't some blossoming new romance. These two have some sort of past history, and a deep affection. (I wonder if May plays the Cello?)

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
I disagree with you bob about this episode being sub-par. Personally I thought it was the best episode so far.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
prpshrt said:
Did it get better yet? I really want to like it but I couldn't watch it after the second episode D:
It did. though it wasn't bad to begin with for me at least. They made a better firebender then M. Night could on a blockbuster budget then gave Coulson one of the best lines in the show so far.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
musim said:
I've been back and forth on this series. Its been a fairly lackluster series so far and I've hated Fitz and Simmons. I was convinced those characters couldn't act. This episode changed my mind on that and made me love all of these characters. Previously I mainly watched for Coulsen and May. Now I'll be watching for pretty much all of them except Skye. Skye oddly enough hasn't won me over.

Really hope they make use of their connective tissue to the Marvel movies. Starting to doubt they will.
Well they made more use of it in this one then they have in the previous ones. I mean a Chitauri helmet from The Avengers sets the whole thing in motion and became the center piece of the lore this week. It'd be nice if Cap. or Nick or one of the other movie characters that actually are S.H.I.E.L.D. agents to make an appearance for more then a cameo. Sadly budgets are budgets and I think the only real reason we got Nick in the episode 2 is because Samuel L. Jackson just loves being Nick Fury too much so he probably approached them. Still the other movie agents would actually break the bank beyond just hiring them. Seeing as most of their shtick can be done on a TV show budget. Hell they've been doing Hawkeye's thing on a TV show budget for Arrow and Black Widow is basically just a smoking hot agent that kicks more ass then anyone else. Cap's shield tricks might cost more to make but I don't think that would be too hard to do. Now Thor or Iron Man. Their effects would break the bank easily.

Swiftarm

Mar 25, 2013
I feel like all the 'hints' at Coulson being a robot are just a bit too obtuse for that to actually be the case. I'm thinking (more like hoping) it's just going to be a red herring so that we don't expect the real revelation when it... err.. reveals.

Also, Bob keeps commenting about this whole Fitz/Skye thing is so apparent, and honestly, I don't see it that way. Though again, I might be just hoping it's not going to turn out like that. I really hope Fitz and Simmons start dating. They're already really close, I just feel like that would be a far more realistic to see them together. This episode strengthened that hope for me in two particular scenes. When Simmons says the line about how he followed her into the field work, and the scene near the end where she tries to make him feel better. Neither of those scenes makes me think of their relationship being "brother/sister"-like.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Swiftarm said:
I feel like all the 'hints' at Coulson being a robot are just a bit too obtuse for that to actually be the case. I'm thinking (more like hoping) it's just going to be a red herring so that we don't expect the real revelation when it... err.. reveals.

Also, Bob keeps commenting about this whole Fitz/Skye thing is so apparent, and honestly, I don't see it that way. Though again, I might be just hoping it's not going to turn out like that. I really hope Fitz and Simmons start dating. They're already really close, I just feel like that would be a far more realistic to see them together. This episode strengthened that hope for me in two particular scenes. When Simmons says the line about how he followed her into the field work, and the scene near the end where she tries to make him feel better. Neither of those scenes makes me think of their relationship being "brother/sister"-like.
Or does Fitz like Skye... Who is into Ward... Who is interested in Simmons... Who... uh... wants... Skye?

YEAH

BOOM

B-O-O-M.

Now give me a geometric shape to describe that relationship! I need to e-mail it to the writing staff!

OT:
I think this episode was probably the most low-key of all of them, but had the most character weight behind it. It's why I felt episode two was awkwardly placed given we didn't know -anyone- yet, and it just dropped the whole "THEY'RE A TEEM GUISE" thing really really hard on the audience. It doesn't feel nearly as strange now.

TheStatutoryApe

May 22, 2010
Andrew Siribohdi said:
I don't understand the complaints about this series. I don't think it's bad at all.
For me... I don't think it's bad but I don't think it's "Awesome!" either. It just seems like a better and well funded version of other similar shows. And that "better" is only starting to emerge as it really seemed to be about the same quality as those other shows at the start.

Swiftarm said:
More Coulson theory is always fun!

I'm starting to wonder if they are just messing with everyone's heads over Coulson. We see that he has his scar from the wound he took, so either they reconstructed it in his "new body" or he's still in the same body which is perhaps augmented in some fashion. If it turns out that he just has some tech inside him and he's not fully aware of the scope of work required to revive him... that might be a bit anticlimactic. Considering the big focus on villain tech from the movies it would perhaps be a more standard "twist" to find out that they used some sort of Chitauri technology to fix him.

Fitz being into Skye is pretty darn apparent. Bob or someone else somewhere had the opinion that it seems like the old "geeky boy is into girl who isn't into him and complains about it to geeky gal pal who is annoyed that he doesn't notice her" deal. Seems very possible, and unfortunate since it's a pretty tired trope.