Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Recap - Episodes 1-7

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 1 Recap - Episodes 1-7

Season One is in the books, and if you missed any of the first several episodes, now is your chance to catch up.

Read Full Article

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Hindsight is 20-20, eh?
I look forward to reading the other 2 parts of this, mostly to remind myself of these earlier episodes.
I did miss a tiny, factual (one scentence) recap at the start of each discussed episode here... Just to say: "This is the one with the helmet", so we are immediately clued in to what you're commenting on.

Jan 12, 2012
Kind of odd that Bob chose to break it up this way; it seems like doing a full-season recap would work best if you were actually examining the season as a whole, instead of in these chunks of 7 episodes. Still a good read, just odd that he did it that way instead of doing one article covering the season in general, then a couple more delving into specifics (how does it line up with Marvel canon and were the choices for better or worse, what AoS means to the Marvel franchise and similar shows, a recap of loose ends and how Bob can see them playing out, etc.) It seems like we could get a few articles with the big picture that Bob is so good at presenting, rather than a paragraph-long recap of each episode.

Robot-Jesus

Aug 29, 2011
Skye would be more interesting if she had interest, hobbies, and thoughts. Ditzy hacker is a new sort of character, but it's not much of a character.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I think The Hub is one of those episodes that much more important in hindsight than one would admit. Specifically, the lack of an exfiltration plan sets up Episode 21's exposition of Garrett's defection to Hydra as something more systemic rather than a one-off with a bad operations handler. Apparently, the hyper-utilitarian approach of treating some Agency members as expendable by operations personnel didn't go over as well with some other members of the Agency, giving Hydra, an organization with survival as its prime directive, a way to recruit.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Television writers usually have "escape points": plot points that can be removed or expanded at will to accommodate to public response and outside events (like an important actor becoming unavailable). It gives the writers flexibility to react to something with a long production time, but with immediate feedback, like a TV show season. Given the history of the production team, I think they are quite familiar with that practice.

I am saying this because it gives some context to some of the elements MovieBob presents with the hindsight of the entire season. I am sure if the Rising Tide was better received (or maybe the executives didn't like the political side of the story), it would have been more central instead of being ruled out as a made-up threat several episodes down the line. The same could be said about centipede and Ward's allegiance.