Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2: What Went Right?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Season 2: What Went Right?

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is doing a lot of things right in season 2.

Read Full Article

vid87

May 17, 2010
Interesting summary of the events so far, but I'd like to request something considering how many time it's been name-dropped: Bob, would you consider just doing a piece on Once Upon a Time? Clearly you've been paying attention to it and I'm really curious if you happen to think it "works" (I don't, though there are elements I like) while examining the ramifications of trying to stick close to Disney lore while crafting an original vision of the characters (among other things like Greek myth and non-Disney stories), possible, maybe accidental LGBT subtext, and the overarching narrative of abandonment and messed up families as the breeding ground for evil.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
The main improvement is that they sit a little better in the Marvel universe.

In the first season they struggled to fit in.
The first Fury cameo although welcome felt forced, and so did the Lady Sif episode.
But the small hinds and Easter eggs were nice

Events of Thor 2 had little impact on Agents, although most of that took place on Asgard.

Only after Cap 2 both worlds started to feel more as one.
The only problem i had with that was that i couldn't go and see Cap 2 on opening wee,k so i had to put off seeing Agents until i did.
(not that Hydra was a that big of a surprise)

Also the gaps in airing (not unlike this one) often because of the need to keep in sync with the movies didn't help a lot.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Jeroenr said:

The first Fury cameo although welcome felt forced, and so did the Lady Sif episode.

Events of Thor 2 had little impact on Agents, although most of that took place on Asgard.

The only problem i had with that was that i couldn't go and see Cap 2 on opening wee,k so i had to put off seeing Agents until i did.

Also the gaps in airing (not unlike this one) often because of the need to keep in sync with the movies didn't help a lot.
Until I finally got to see Cap 2, I was very frustrated with how quickly the show incorporated the story into the main arc and basically being a spoiler. I even have friends that still have a negative feeling towards that and haven't gone back to watch the show because they are expecting them to do it again with any future movie.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I just hope it doesn't get SGU'd. As in it improves dramatically in the second season and still gets canned.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'll say what I've been saying regarding the show, purposefully being shitty for the majority of the first season, until it was time to pull the trigger on the Cap 2 connection was a bold move. Not one I'd personally choose for my TV show, but eh...

From what I've seen in season 2, another reason it seems to be doing better is because the writers have stopped trying to be Joss Whedon. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed this, but the only person capable of writing Joss Whedon is Joss Whedon, and any attempt by anyone else to mimic his style of storytelling and character dialogue is probably gonna get it wrong and just end up being annoying, which Agents of Shield's first season was, in my opinion.

Beyond that, it always seemed like the kind of show that needed to grow out from the shadow of the movies and become its own thing before it was going to be any good, so it's refreshing to see that it seems to have done that now.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Darth Sea Bass said:
I just hope it doesn't get SGU'd. As in it improves dramatically in the second season and still gets canned.
SGU was so awesome "sniff" WHY DID YOU HAVE TO REMIND ME THAT EXISTED!

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
Sanunes said:
Jeroenr said:

Until I finally got to see Cap 2, I was very frustrated with how quickly the show incorporated the story into the main arc and basically being a spoiler. I even have friends that still have a negative feeling towards that and haven't gone back to watch the show because they are expecting them to do it again with any future movie.
Because they chose to keep sync with the movies, they will need to do that time to time.

To me, waiting a week or so to watch an episode so i can catch up on the movies is a bit annoying, but by all means no deal breaker.
But i understand if it is.

And there is no shortage of quality TV shows these days.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
P-89 Scorpion said:
Darth Sea Bass said:
Sorry dude! It's a thorn in my side as well. :(

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I'd say that the biggest improvement so far is that they've somehow made Skye less hateable. I definitely don't like her character yet, but before, I was almost cringing ever time she was on screen. I enjoy all three of the main new characters and Ward has been made more interesting (even if his actor can't really pull off the creepy stuff).

Also, just because characters in the show are mad about secrets, doesn't excuse the show form constantly keeping secrets. It's been a lot better with that this season (no longer feels like I'm watching a worse version of Lost), but it still builds these things up with little pay-off.

One thing that has bugged me this season is that Skye's dad is supposed to be some kind of super murderer. After seeing him in action.... I don't get it. Sure, he had some cool moves, but nothing that suggests he's capable of murdering a whole village. Maybe that's just another secret, but colour me underwhelmed so far.

I know my post sounds fairly negative, but believe me, I am glad I stuck through the worst parts of season one because I am actually enjoying the show now. Sort of feels like a guilty pleasure but hey, they're starting to realize some of their potential.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Acually I hated the last few episodes. Really could have done without Ward and that awkward ex-couple. Totally out of place.

I actually really enjoyed the first part of season one as a world building excercise but now they're descending into cheezy romance and fight scenes filler.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Jeroenr said:
Because they chose to keep sync with the movies, they will need to do that time to time.

To me, waiting a week or so to watch an episode so i can catch up on the movies is a bit annoying, but by all means no deal breaker.
But i understand if it is.

And there is no shortage of quality TV shows these days.
There isn't a problem with them incorporating it, but how they did. In some countries the episode aired before the movie even premiered. In my case it was that I had a total of four days to see the movie and I was stuck working all four of them, followed without any real warning that they were going to be continuing from the movie. I think a lot of the frustration that I have seen would have been easily prevented with a quick slide at the start of the episode with some level of disclaimer of "we are continuing from where Captain America: The Winter Soldier left off" and given people the choice.

mruuh

Jun 29, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
I'd say that the biggest improvement so far is that they've somehow made Skye less hateable. I definitely don't like her character yet, but before, I was almost cringing ever time she was on screen.
I still cringe everytime she is on screen. Although I realized recently that it's not because of the character, but because of the actress. She is just too wooden and Bella-like. Plus, from the first moment in first episode, she felt to me like a last-minute budget replacement for Eliza Dushku.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I'd agree that it's better than it has been, but I have a couple of issues, one over-arcing, one plot specific.

1. The existence of the movies feels like an anchor saying that S.H.I.E.L.D. will never, ever, be able to make significant in-roads against HYDRA. All the big stuff has to be done by big, name-brand characters on the silver screen. I know this is hardly rare in television- do you really expect U.N.C.L.E. to defeat T.H.R.U.S.H. for good, or GI Joe to beat Cobra-? But it makes the whole thing seem a bit rote, sometimes. HYDRA is just always going to have more people, more resources, more money, more connections, because it's easier to keep dramatic tension that way- but it hinders forward story movement.

2. Coulson allowing Simmons' cover to be blown on the premise that his sleeper agent (also under cover) might be able to extract her? What the hell, man? You're a spy, fer chrissakes- lie long enough to stop the countdown, then snatch her or something!

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
mruuh said:
RedDeadFred said:
I'd say that the biggest improvement so far is that they've somehow made Skye less hateable. I definitely don't like her character yet, but before, I was almost cringing ever time she was on screen.
I still cringe everytime she is on screen. Although I realized recently that it's not because of the character, but because of the actress. She is just too wooden and Bella-like. Plus, from the first moment in first episode, she felt to me like a last-minute budget replacement for Eliza Dushku.
I'd say it's a combination of her actress and her character for me. Here character just seems so generic, but that wouldn't be too much of a problem if the actress made her interesting.

xServer

Jul 23, 2014
I am torn about this season. I am heartily sick of Skye and find her demands that Coulson remain as open to her every whim as he might have been as team leader instead of director to be infuriating. Yes, Coulson has secrets. That's sort of part of his new job description.

But I love Coulson and I like that he has been made Director. I think watching him realize the limits this places on him (who knew being in charge would make you more beholden to the rules, not less?) is interesting. And then there's his reaction to the alien DNA.

Get rid of Skye and I think the show prospers. But I'll still watch it as long as Coulson is part of it.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
P-89 Scorpion said:
Darth Sea Bass said:
You and me both. Why do the almighty TV gods have to take away so many shows that I like!? Oh well, at least it freed up Robert Carlyle to be in Once Upon a Time. I'll take Rumpelstiltskin/Mr.Gold over Dr.Rush any day, lol.