Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season One So Far

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Season One So Far

With the series still on hiatus, let's look back at what has happened in the series so far.

Read Full Article

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Bobby, if you have problems finding material, just do the bloody "Why I hate Arrow" segment people have been asking for.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
I been avoiding Arrow and SHIELD for the most part are they any good?

On a side note I been trying to find this 90s TV series, it might be mutant X but I recall it more around 97/98ish It dealt with marvel mutant like powers and then they got a 2ndary power thing going it was strange I guess it's mutant X but I can not remember right. Not saying I liked it but just trying to find out if that was it or not.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Big_Willie_Styles said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
"Arrow" is very good, especially when they start introducing a bunch of people from the comics in the second season. If "Arrow" becomes part of the DC Cinematic Universe, I would love it. (And the writers of the show are told explicitly which characters they can't use by the DC movies brass even though The Flash is supposedly going to be a part of the Justice League movie and Barry Allen is on the show.)
I'll slot it behind my Doctor who backlog then ^^

Mcoffey said:
ZippyDSMlee said:

On a side note I been trying to find this 90s TV series, it might be mutant X but I recall it more around 97/98ish It dealt with marvel mutant like powers and then they got a 2ndary power thing going it was strange I guess it's mutant X but I can not remember right. Not saying I liked it but just trying to find out if that was it or not.
The first ten episodes of Arrow are terrible. Just god-awful. Everything after that ranges from good to incredible. Really great stuff if you're into super heroes.

And do you think you're talking about Heroes? Not quite 90's but it's got that power thing you're talking about, and how people seemed to change powers every other episode after a while.
Thanks, I think its mutant x I recall heros and it never did come on after 11pm on fox LOL

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
ZippyDSMlee said:
Season 1 of Arrow is very hit and miss, but gradually getting more hits, a homerun with the 14th episode and another with the last episode, finally finding itself. When it comes to season 2...

Let me say it like this: They are aiming for 5 seasons, but in this pacing, they will use material for 11.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
Agents of SHIELD was, for me, a total dissapointment :/ I could not care less if they have a second season or not

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Overall, this series had loads of potential but it feels squandered. I'm not gonna point fingers and say who is at fault since the Internet and its main actor have done that already. But rather, this is what happens when you're trying to put out a new show in a vastly crowded playing field. Ask any actor who's worked in television and they will tell you some stories about everyone, from the higher-ups to the lowly writers, trying to keep a lagging TV show afloat.

Personally, I wish Marvel did two things with Agents of SHIELD. First, they should have put more time and effort into developing this show rather than launch it a year after The Avengers came out. I know making a television show is much more fast-pace than making a feature-length movie, but this is one of those times where slow and steady could have benefited this series. Second, it should have gone on Netflix or on a cable channel rather than a major network like ABC. These days, unless you're a sure bet (or one of the many CSI or Law & Order spin-offs), trying to compete with other shows is a difficult task and its compounded even further when you're a new series. At least with cable or online streaming, you're able to find a niche audience that will tune in.

I'm still gonna stick with this show and hope for the best. However, unless they pull off a major turnaround once they come back, I seriously doubt there will be a second season to Agents of SHIELD.

MatsVS

Tea & Grief
Nov 9, 2009
I got five episodes in before I couldn't deal any more with this absolute dreck. No drama, just melodrama, flat performances by everyone involved, action scenes of the usual cable calibre, and characters with the depth of... well, Joss Whedon characters.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
See the problem that I see most people seem to have with this show, is that they were expecting it to be a tv series mashup of superheroes on the scale of Iron Man, Thor and Hulk. That's not what Shield in the comics was about, they were normal humans dealing with super powered people and dangerous technology. Which is what is happening on the show. And so far, the show is doing a fairly good job. Not a fan of the filler eps, but those familiar with Whedon's body of works knows it's the kind of stuff he favours over protracted structured storytelling.

I'm going to buck the Hate trend here and say I like Agents.

Ashley Blalock

Sep 25, 2011
Agents of SHIELD feels rather frustrating because potential is always there, but the show just can't seem to tap into that potential. They tease something great like cars and trucks being flung around with no one touching them so you think oh cool Magneto, but then you remember thanks to the deals Agents of SHIELD can never have mutants. Or hey a sound weapon it must mean Klaw, nope not Klaw just a filler episode.

I guess it really doesn't help that Agents of SHIELD only name drops while Arrow by season 2 had figured out fans want more than just name dropping. So if Arrow teases Black Canary or Flash you actually get those characters rather than Agents of SHIELD going hey remember how cool those movies were, yea you aren't getting anything like the movies. Agents of SHIELD feels too much like super science tech support instead of feeling like an active player in a world with super powers and the sort of evil organizations that think costumed villainy is cool.

Arrow also gets the edge with Felicity. Even when it's not a good episode Felicity does something adorably cute and you just can't hate the show. Agents of SHIELD just lacks that character to love so it's being on a plane every week with characters you don't really like and can't really pull for.

MikeN

Nov 5, 2009
008Zulu said:
See the problem that I see most people seem to have with this show, is that they were expecting it to be a tv series mashup of superheroes on the scale of Iron Man, Thor and Hulk. That's not what Shield in the comics was about, they were normal humans dealing with super powered people and dangerous technology.
This idea that people had unreasonable expectations about the show keeps getting brought up to refute criticism. But the complaints that I've seen (and share myself) have nothing to do with the lack of big name superheroes but rather with how poorly written the show is coupled with the flat & uninteresting characters. Were people really expecting Iron Man or Thor to show up as guest stars? Or did they just want a tv series that didn't feel like a saturday afternoon kids show from the 90s?