Marvel's All-Female A-Force Releases All-New Art

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Marvel's All-Female A-Force Releases All-New Art

Marvel Comics A-Force presents an all-female Avengers team that defends an island surrounded by enemies.

One of the more interesting announcements regarding Marvel's Secret Wars was that once it begins, the Avengers would dissolve. Sure, the combined Battleworld is protected by the Thors, but those particular superheroes won't be in a position to help out, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139551-Marvel-Comics-and-Ultimate-Universes-Will-Merge-In-Secret-Wars>perhaps because Battleworld is technically their fault. Instead, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139743-Marvel-Comics-All-Female-A-Force-Team-Replaces-Avengers-for-Secret-Wars>an all-female team called A-Force will rise from the ashes, something Marvel is shedding light on with Marguerite Bennett and Jorge Molina's artwork.

When several parallel Earths smash together to form Battleworld, they also bring heroes from each world together. The A-Force is one team formed in the union, an Avengers unit tasked with defending the all-female island nation of Arcadia. And considering Arcadia is surrounded by Mr. Sinister's forces on one side, and Marvel Zombies on the other, the A-Force has its work cut out for it.

She-Hulk, Dazzler, Medusa, and Nico Minoru are on the roster, as are classic incarnations of characters like Rogue and Phoenix. And based on the number of heroes featured in the released artwork, that's only scratching the surface. "We've purposefully assembled a team composed of different characters from disparate parts of the Marvel U," co-writer G. Willow Wilson said during the original announcement, "with very different power sets, identities and ideologies."

[gallery=4070]

Arcadia may be a small location on Battleworld, but it's looking to be a very exciting one. A-Force #1 will launch with all its variant covers on May 20, 2015.

CrazyBlaze

Jul 12, 2011
I've got to say I really like the art work, really excited for this one. Hopefully Battleworld ends up being better than Convergence so far.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Art's pretty nice.

Also, 'A-Force'? Really guys? Just call it what we all know you wanted to call it. The A-Team.

Also, also, who's Female-Loki over there? Is that actually just using trickstery to be female? Or is that a completely separate character?

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
Areloch said:
Art's pretty nice.

Also, 'A-Force'? Really guys? Just call it what we all know you wanted to call it. The A-Team.

Also, also, who's Female-Loki over there? Is that actually just using trickstery to be female? Or is that a completely separate character?
From what I've heard second hand is that all the Asgardians at one point were killed and then re-incarnated as humans. Loki was reincarnated as a woman and decided to stay one when he regained his memories and powers. Which fits into Norse lore as Loki was very.... gender and species fluid.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
Mid Boss said:
Areloch said:
Art's pretty nice.

From what I've heard second hand is that all the Asgardians at one point were killed and then re-incarnated as humans. Loki was reincarnated as a woman and decided to stay one when he regained his memories and powers. Which fits into Norse lore as Loki was very.... gender and species fluid.
Huh, that's pretty interesting.

TheMoreYouKnow.jpg

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Defiantly an awesome group of characters. The premise is still condescending as hell, but that's comics for you.

Mid Boss

Aug 20, 2012
Areloch said:
Mid Boss said:
Areloch said:
Art's pretty nice.

TheMoreYouKnow.jpg
Lol you know Sleipnir? Odin's six legged horse he rides around on? That's is Loki's son in Norse mythology. He gave birth to it while in the form of a female horse.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Mid Boss said:
Areloch said:
Mid Boss said:
Areloch said:
Art's pretty nice.

TheMoreYouKnow.jpg
Lol you know Sleipnir? Odin's six legged horse he rides around on? That's is Loki's son in Norse mythology. He gave birth to it while in the form of a female horse.
All the jokes about Loki and horses on Tumblr make disturbing sense now.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Areloch said:
Mid Boss said:
Areloch said:
Art's pretty nice.

TheMoreYouKnow.jpg
To add on: Just prior to the Civil War Thor had experienced Ragnarok, which lead to the death of all the Asgardians. Mjolnir survives, which enables Thor to be resurrected. He then went around to find the souls of the Asgardians as they had taken up residence in the bodies of humans who were essentially very like them. They didn't remember they were Asgardian's till Thor showed up and let them know, at which point they remembered and took on their true forms.

In that time, Loki had been resurrected as a woman. And as Mid Boss pointed out, he chose to stay a woman, but I do not believe he came back with his powers to shape shift, I'm sure someone will correct me. It's also not Loki's first time being locked in the body of a woman. If you remember Earth X, as punishment to him Odin had locked him in the body of a female, though I guess that technically didn't happen yet... or maybe it did and that resurrection after Ragnarok was actually the event that leads to Loki being stuck as a female.

It's all so confusing. In the wake of Kingdom Come, Marvel hired Alex Ross to do Earth X. Kingdom Come was so insanely popular (easily one of the best written comic stories ever in my opinion) that decided for a short while to make it the official future of DC Comics (you have to laugh at the sentiment because DC is the most famous for rebooting it's universe every decade). Marvel did Earth X, and then before it was even complete declared it the official future of Marvel (which held for about 5 minutes) because it wasn't nearly as popular as Kingdom Come was.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Looks kinda neat, I especially like the new Ms.Marvel... or whoever is wearing her old costume. I'll be waiting for a collected volumes and be buying it.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ukomba said:
Defiantly an awesome group of characters. The premise is still condescending as hell, but that's comics for you.
Yeah, that's the real conflict. These are awesome characters and I'm excited to see characters like Rogue show up in the art work. But the premise is indeed still condescending.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Areloch said:
I think it's a separate character. Loki has their own comic series (I haven't read it, I might, I've heard it's pretty good) at the moment called "Loki: Agent of Asgard" where they are openly bisexual and genderfluid [http://thegeekiary.com/loki-agent-of-asgard-writer-confirms-loki-is-bisexual-and-genderfluid/4034]. I think it's cool to see a non-binary protagonist in something, you almost never do.

Why is it that when a team is made entirely of women, being female is an important part of why they are together? If you made a team with nothing but men it probably wouldn't be because they're protecting the island of men. Still, not going to judge it either way.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
I didn't know Dazzler could fly. Also it's cool seeing her in her usual getup instead of the remade punk look.

Marvel Zombies? Brrr! Series always gave me the creeps, and considering how it runs, they really do have their work cut out for them.

I'll be reading with glee.

Sep 14, 2009
okay hopefully someone can explain to me, what's with the two different spider-woman's? aren't they from different universes, or am I wrong?

otherwise as someone who isn't a big comic reader, this does look cool (if not a bit condescending as pointed out.)

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Rastrelly said:
Looks like a complete rubbish, initiated purely by current social trends.
That's publisher reaction for you. What? Females are underrepresented in comics? Let´s do an all female team! Heck, let´s do all our team female exclusive (and maybe add Wolverine for a few issues).

And the writing does not evolve at all.

The women are still posing for men, offering boobs and ass shots galore (now more even), and maybe even some girl to girl action.

Note, I do not have anything against the boob shots per se, but if I was really worried about women representation I would not go for "more, a lot more", I would go for "a little more, a lot better".

But the thermometer of social media in the US these days seems to be completely off. It happens when the important issues are being brought to the table by either extremist or unprepared people, like Anita Sarkeesian. It also does not help that the internet is a large place and people are discussing everything at the same time: from death threats, to ethics in journalism to women representation: it is all in the same ball of soup.

On one side, it is democracy at full force: youtubers, consumers, publishers and media outlets going at each other with several degrees of craziness. On the other hand, it is chaotic.

It is simple, people: just try to make a good story, with good characters, trying to avoid cliches - in that order.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
okay hopefully someone can explain to me, what's with the two different spider-woman's? aren't they from different universes, or am I wrong?

otherwise as someone who isn't a big comic reader, this does look cool (if not a bit condescending as pointed out.)
It took me a bit to see what you mean. Red/Yellow costume is Spider Woman. White/black costume is Spider-Gwen from a universe where she was bitten instead of Peter. I hope that clears things up.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Spider Gwen's silly hood still looks like it belongs in the 18th century.