Marvel's Black Widow

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
You know, during the opening scene, I kept thinking that the actress who played young Natasha reminded me of a child Milla Jovovich.

Turns out she kind of is. Ever Anderson, elfest of Milla and Paul WS Anderson.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
So apparently Johansson is suing Disney for releasing the movie on Disney+ at the same time as at theaters. She's claiming that this reduced her compensation or some shit.

Frankly I don't care for either side, just two rich assholes throwing tantrums at each other, but I am surprised it took this long for something like this to happen. I would have expected WB putting all their movies on streaming to make more drama.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
The long story short is, part of ScarJo's salary for Black Widow was tied to the box office take. Because they released it to theaters and streaming simultaneously, she's arguing that the lack of theater exclusivity negatively impacted the box office take of the film, and therefore her salary, which violates her contract.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
The long story short is, part of ScarJo's salary for Black Widow was tied to the box office take. Because they released it to theaters and streaming simultaneously, she's arguing that the lack of theater exclusivity negatively impacted the box office take of the film, and therefore her salary, which violates her contract.
The article I read made it sound like Johansson was still compensated for the digital release as well. Perhaps it was a lower percentage than normal, but yeah, Disney is painting her as greedy. Which is most definitely the pot calling the kettle black.

Reactions: Dirty Hipsters

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
She probably took a pay cut in exchange for a percentage of the box office. That's almost always the story behind franchise actors getting upped to "executive producer" in sequels. That and a haircut (see Birds of Prey). Comfier for the actress, trickier to disguise the stunt double.

Anyway, she's demented if she thinks she can take on Disney in court. But since she's out she might as well burn that bridge.

Reactions: gorfias

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
In the pandemic world, is a global box office of about $320 million bad? Godzilla vs. Kong made about $450 and is thought to be a smash in these times. Now some speak as if Black Widow tanked after a strong opening.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
The article I read made it sound like Johansson was still compensated for the digital release as well. Perhaps it was a lower percentage than normal, but yeah, Disney is painting her as greedy. Which is most definitely the pot calling the kettle black.
Boo hoo 20 million dollars wasn't enough.

But on the other side is Disney, so I don't know who to side with as I don't have any empathy for either party here.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Boo hoo 20 million dollars wasn't enough.

But on the other side is Disney, so I don't know who to side with as I don't have any empathy for either party here.
Eh, we don't need to side with anyone. Just watch em fight and chuck peanuts at them while torrenting the movies.

Adam Jensen

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Eh, we don't need to side with anyone.
Yup.

But on a more serious note, Scarlett Johansson is kinda of right here. There's a reason Disney released the movie on Disney+ simultaneously with the theatrical release and there's a reason why none of the proceeds from Disney+ go to the actors. They fucked her over.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
There's a reason Disney released the movie on Disney+ simultaneously with the theatrical release and there's a reason why none of the proceeds from Disney+ go to the actors. They fucked her over.
Has that been confirmed? Although Disney going out of their way to make sure she received some compensation for the streaming revenue does sound like a stretch.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Yup.

But on a more serious note, Scarlett Johansson is kinda of right here. There's a reason Disney released the movie on Disney+ simultaneously with the theatrical release and there's a reason why none of the proceeds from Disney+ go to the actors. They fucked her over.
It's always about what's in the contract.
Disney will probably choose a patsy for the sake of good PR and then settle out of court with ScarJo.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Gotta leave this here. By happenstance, BW ends up in the same air duct in which she hid with Hawkeye 10 years earlier. They played tic tac toe to pass time.

Did the set directors have no idea how this game is played?

1629467454680.png