Marvel's Not-So-Awful Animation of the 80s

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Marvel's Not-So-Awful Animation of the 80s

The Marvel cartoons of the 80s cemented characters like Spider-Man in the minds of a generation of kids.

Read Full Article

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
the Pryde of the X-Men cartoon pilot reminds me of the 90's X-men the animated series cartoon.. wish it had been done as a full series

vid87

May 17, 2010
I'm curious to see if there was anything from the 90's I never actually saw since I was pretty much all over that stuff at the time.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
That 80's X-Men is even better than the 90's one... gutted that didn't get made, just watched the whole episode, and I'm not really a cartoon loving kinda adult

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"It was the first place I ever saw or heard of Spider-Man, and for whatever reason his look and power-set hit a chord with me."
Exactly the same for me!

Oh, that Hulk music!!! And the super sexy Firestar, lol!!!
Damn, this stuff MADE my childhood!!! :D

And then the AMAZING 90's cartoons FINISHED it ;)

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
I'll fully admit,Firestar in Spiderman and His Amazing Friends gave me my first nerd-boner. Yup, that was it.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Sounds to me that "Spider-Man and his friends staying at Aunt May's house" thing they did on Ultimate Spider-Man. Upon reading and writing that, it occurs to me they did it as a "tribute" of sorts to the older show. I'm not sure if, in the comics, Spider-Man and Ice-Man are pals or what; I know two of Spidey's best friends are Johnny Storm (The Second Human Torch, since the original's still around) and Daredevil.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
the appeal of a good guy whose "power" is to get angry and stomp around smashing and throwing stuff just feels so precisely wired to the pleasure/relatability-centers of a child's brain (see also: Godzilla).
Funny thing is, while listening to the embedded Hulk theme music (which is indeed excellent, and I say this as someone who didn't even know that particular cartoon existed before reading this article, let alone had heard the theme music before), I was thinking that it would also suit Godzilla really well. It's very monster movie-esque, of course, but with an understated feeling of nobility and an overall plodding, inevitable quality that communicates nothing will be able to stand in the main character's way. Which is theoretically a less odd musical choice for Godzilla than it is for the Hulk, for whom you'd think the music would be of a more fast, intense, and frantic sort in keeping with his boundless rage, but it ends up fitting better than any other Hulk music that comes to mind. Good stuff, to be sure.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
When Amazing Friends was airing I didn't yet own a VCR. But I DID own a tape recorder which I would set up in front of the TV and record the audio of the show so I could play it back later. Sometimes I'd roleplay the action. (I was pre-teen at the time.)
The two episodes I remember best from my recordings were Sunfire and 7 Little Superheroes.

sandangel

Jan 2, 2011
Pryde of the X-Men was one of the first X-Men related things I ever saw as a kid. I watched that VHS tape (damn it, now I feel old) dozens of times. I don't know if we still have it, I should try digging that up at some point.

Fun fact? Wolverine was Australian in Pryde. This was of course years before Hugh Jackman.

tanatoes

Feb 4, 2010
Am I imagining things or didn't all of Spidey's crime-fighting stuff come from millionaire Tony Stark, who he had saved at some point? I seem to vaguely recall finding it funny at the time that Tony was bankrolling Spiderman's lair but never admitted to any of the guys that he was a super hero too.

Also LOVED the reverse prejudice when the trio met the X-Men and it was explained that Spidey couldn't be an X-Man because he isn't a mutant. That blew my teenaged mind.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
tanatoes said:
Am I imagining things or didn't all of Spidey's crime-fighting stuff come from millionaire Tony Stark, who he had saved at some point? I seem to vaguely recall finding it funny at the time that Tony was bankrolling Spiderman's lair but never admitted to any of the guys that he was a super hero too.

Also LOVED the reverse prejudice when the trio met the X-Men and it was explained that Spidey couldn't be an X-Man because he isn't a mutant. That blew my teenaged mind.
Yup, saw that episode myself. Dunno the name of the episode but I do know that Tony Stark gave Spidey and Co. their tech after defeating the Beetle.

I only got to see one of the Spider-Man episodes on VHS where he had to stop Doctor Doom from becoming master of the world. Much like Bob, I too was introduced to the Marvel Universe via Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends and The Incredible Hulk cartoon from the early 80s. The only DVD release of these series are on UK versions and very pricey. I did watch the X-Men pilot online. It's good and kinda sad it never got the chance to be a series. If only to witness Australian Wolverine.

Onto the 90s of Marvel animated series, both its highs and lows (Spider-Man Unlimited, anyone).

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Solar man was good. Don't know how I managed to miss that one. Most of these sure bring back some memories. The 80s was a good time for cartoons.

RedmistSM

Jan 30, 2010
Wow. I though these 80s cartoons looked pretty bad whenever I saw a clip here or there, but that Hulk/Quasimodo fight was something special for sure.

Keith_F

Mar 3, 2010
Okay, could someone please go to 13:10 on the episode of "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" featuring the costume party that Bob mentioned. I'll put the link in here. Check out that billboard that Spidey is stuck to, especially the way they've drawn the kid and framed the shot as it zoomed out. Does that seem like an intentional, inappropriate, the-adult's-will-get-it joke by the artists to you?

http://youtu.be/4Ts54F1aW2Y?t=13m5s

Groverfield

Jul 4, 2011
Something MovieBob didn't mention probably due to its irrelevancy but something that, to me, makes this series even better: Iceman is played by Fred from Scoobie Doo. Not just the voice actor, it's pretty much him in every respect, except having superpowers.

twosage

Oct 22, 2013
Pryde of the X-Men and Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends are touchstones for my original love of these characters and comics in general. Spidey and Nightcrawler will always be among my favorite heroes and I will always have a soft spot for Firestar and Dazzler, regardless of how dated and obscure they become.

One of the few uncompromisingly nostalgic opinions I hold is that somehow, some way, they should eventually find a way to make a live-action Spider-Man film with significant cameos/co-starring roles for Firestar and Iceman.