Marvel's Obi-Wan & Anakin Will Focus on "Master-Student Relationship"

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Marvel's Obi-Wan & Anakin Will Focus on "Master-Student Relationship"

Charles Soule's mini-series Obi-Wan & Anakin will hit comic stores in January 2016.

This past weekend at New York Comic Con, <a href=http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/nycc-marvel-pairs-obi-wan-and-anakin-for-star-wars-series-with-soule-checchetto>Marvel announced its plans to publish another mini-series grounded in the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/star%20wars?os=star+wars>Star Wars universe. Dubbed Obi-Wan & Anakin, the new five issue series will explore the relationship between the titular Jedi earlier than any other current canon products released yet. With the comic set to release next year, series writer Charles Soule recently shared insights into his plan for the book and what he hopes to achieve with this new look at these key characters.

"It's set between Episode I and II, which is one of the big attractions to me about doing the series," said Soule, speaking in <a href=http://www.starwars.com/news/nycc-2015-exploring-the-uncharted-in-marvels-obi-wan-and-anakin-an-interview-with-charles-soule>an interview. "We've seen the end of The Phantom Menace, which is when Anakin said, 'Yes, I'll go to the Jedi Temple,' and Obi-Wan said, 'Yes, I'll train this kid.' But then, what happened between there and the start of Episode II, where they were buddy-buddy and clearly had lots of adventures? It's pretty unexplored territory." Obi-Wan & Anakin, in turn, will take place just a few years after Anakin's induction into the Jedi Order and focus on the pair as they investigate a "distress call from a planet that's supposed to be completely dead." The mission, according to Soule, will take place at a "pivotal time" in their "master-student relationship" where they'll both begin to question how they relate to one another.

Soule also shared his intention to present the Jedi in a somewhat more enigmatic way than they often have been in recent years. "They're very mysterious," he said. "You don't get into their heads as much, they don't talk as much. Actions speak louder than words, sort of. So, I think that hopefully will be very cool." Combined with a snowy setting and visuals from <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141927-The-Empire-Will-Be-Ready-to-Fight-in-Star-Wars-Shattered-Empire#&gid=gallery_4508&pid=1>Shattered Empire artist Marco Checchetto, it's Soule's hope that the series will provide some visually striking moments to impress the franchise's many fans. Suffice it to say, we'll be interested to see how the comic turns out when it hits store shelves in January 2016.

Source: <a href=http://www.starwars.com/news/nycc-2015-exploring-the-uncharted-in-marvels-obi-wan-and-anakin-an-interview-with-charles-soule>Star Wars

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Earlier than Rogue Planet? Because if not, you might want to change that to: "the new five issue series will explore the relationship between the titular Jedi earlier than any other new canon prequel products released yet."

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Legends was filled with stuff like this, but they also tended to be rather heavy handed with Anakin, constantly portraying him as an obviously neurotic barely contained psychopath for most of his life and putting in references that he's going to become Vader all the time. I liked his portrayal in the Clone Wars cartoon because they very rarely ever did either and they were really subtle about it when they did, and I hope this will be the same.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Ukomba said:
Earlier than Rogue Planet? Because if not, you might want to change that to: "the new five issue series will explore the relationship between the titular Jedi earlier than any other new canon prequel products released yet."
Good point! Fixed it

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Legends was filled with stuff like this, but they also tended to be rather heavy handed with Anakin, constantly portraying him as an obviously neurotic barely contained psychopath for most of his life and putting in references that he's going to become Vader all the time.
So basically in keeping with his film portrayals then? Like when he went on a romantic date and tried to promote the ideals of fascist dictatorship?

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Soviet Heavy said:
immortalfrieza said:
Legends was filled with stuff like this, but they also tended to be rather heavy handed with Anakin, constantly portraying him as an obviously neurotic barely contained psychopath for most of his life and putting in references that he's going to become Vader all the time.
So basically in keeping with his film portrayals then? Like when he went on a romantic date and tried to promote the ideals of fascist dictatorship?
Even the film Anakin had moments where he didn't practically have neon signs floating over his head saying "HEY! THIS GUY IS GOING TO BE EVIL!!!" sometimes. The problem is most writers that have Anakin as a major character treat Anakin like there was never anything else to his character but neurotic barely contained psychopath at any point, even stories set before he slaughters an entire camp of Sand People thus performing his first real "dark" act and even when he's a child have him as an arrogant self absorbed blowhard the whole time. Writers rarely make it seem like there ever a time where there was anything remotely redeemable about Anakin aside from his relationship with Padme, aside from the Clone Wars cartoon as I mentioned, and that's not good. We all know that Anakin is going to become Darth Vader but it's terrible writing to point it out to everybody all the time like we're all idiots.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
immortalfrieza said:
Soviet Heavy said:
immortalfrieza said:
Even the film Anakin had moments where he didn't practically have neon signs floating over his head saying "HEY! THIS GUY IS GOING TO BE EVIL!!!" sometimes. The problem is most writers that have Anakin as a major character treat Anakin like there was never anything else to his character but neurotic barely contained psychopath at any point, even stories set before he slaughters an entire camp of Sand People thus performing his first real "dark" act and even when he's a child have him as an arrogant self absorbed blowhard the whole time. Writers rarely make it always seem like there never a time where there was anything remotely redeemable about Anakin aside from his relationship with Padme, aside from the Clone Wars cartoon as I mentioned, and that's not good. We all know that Anakin is going to become Darth Vader but it's terrible writing to point it out to everybody all the time like we're all idiots.
I disagree. His Portrayal in Rogue planet wasn't like that. He was a young and stupid thrill seeker, sure, but it matched his champion racer persona of the first movie. In Approaching Storm he came across as rather sweet, singing a song his mother had sung with him. Even the Episode 3 Novelization portrayed him as far more sympathetic than the movie did, making his fall more of a tragic heroes fall than a natural progression of a psychopath.

(The Ep 3 novelization is an astonishingly amazing book. Novelizations of a movie usually suck.)

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
didn't we have enough of those two jackasses? what else is there left to tell? stuff the gap between the trilogies, preferably between Jedi and Force.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Objectable said:
You know, this REALLY isn't helping me prevent that steam fanfic...
My first thought was "I hope Senpai notices me" and I'm neither a huge anime or fanfic fan.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Rawbeard said:
didn't we have enough of those two jackasses? what else is there left to tell? stuff the gap between the trilogies, preferably between Jedi and Force.
Remember they burned the EU. That means they have an excuse to completely re-release their stories because it was all non-canon.