Marvel's Russell Dauterman Shows Off Thor Odinson's New Look

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Let's assume Avengers call a meeting, and invite Thor. Following discussions will be full of "Thor, chick or guy" when talking with them. If Marvel stays adamant of them having EXACT SAME name, there won't be even in-universe nickname to specify whom.

And as posted on /co/, they can't drop this without PR disaster.

JayBlanc

May 19, 2011
Yeah, it's not like the Avengers have ever had to deal with this before... what... what's that... something about a guy and a girl both called Hawkeye?

What's up with all these Fake Geek Guys commenting here with their obvious lack of comic book knowledge. Pretty obvious they're only doing it for the attention.

ThatHybridGuy

Jun 27, 2010
For those wondering how two Thors will work, my assumption is that the previous Thor will just go by Odinson or maybe come up with a new mantle. This article just calls him Thor for simplicity's sake, as far as I can tell, and the change hasn't actually happened yet.

But yeah, there wasn't this much backlash over Throg or Beta Ray Bill. Comics like to shake things up sometimes, deal with it. This probably won't last forever but I can guarantee you that new!Thor will stick around in some way, shape or form after this is over. This is a good thing. At the very least we can get some interesting stories out of it.

Edit to elaborate further: think back to the first half of the Thor movie. He didn't have Mjolnir, but he was still Thor. If someone else had picked up Mjolnir they would have had the POWER of Thor, therefore technically becoming Thor, God of Thunder (which is kind of a title). Remember, the enchantment is basically "if you're worthy of the power of Thor, you get the power of Thor." If there could only be ONE Thor the enchantment would probably be something like "When my son is worthy of this hammer he'll gets his powers back, okay? Cool."

Hope that helps.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
*blinks confused* ....why does Thor have a cyborg arm? Is this gonna be like with that hook and Aqua Man?

Fairly Chaotic

Jun 18, 2014
"Thor will have a robotic arm..." Thor is the new Winter Soldier?

First, why is Thor half naked? If people can be offended by extra cleavage, mid-riffs, leotards and daisy dukes built into a super-heroine uniform, I reserve the right to be offended by Thor lacking a shirt or top of any kind

Second, since all of these Thorrific changes have been made, why not just go ahead and make Thor Odinson king of Asgard already? He turned down the throne because he was an Avenger. Since that is no longer the case, make him the king already! This reminds me of when Steve Rogers came back while there was another Capt. America.

Wait wait wait! This lady Thor concept is nothing new! I'm willing to bet she was only made for copyright issues. Remember, decades ago, when the comic creators started creating female counterparts to all of their male heroes out of the fear of others doing the same to cash in on the names? What if she was only created as a safe-guard for the popularity of Thor in the movies?

ThatHybridGuy

Jun 27, 2010
Fairly Chaotic said:

First, why is Thor half naked? If people can be offended by extra cleavage, mid-riffs, leotards and daisy dukes built into a super-heroine uniform, I reserve the right to be offended by Thor lacking a shirt or top of any kind

Second, since all of these Thorrific changes have been made, why not just go ahead and make Thor Odinson king of Asgard already? He turned down the throne because he was an Avenger. Since that is no longer the case, make him the king already! This reminds me of when Steve Rogers came back while there was another Capt. America.

Wait wait wait! This lady Thor concept is nothing new! I'm willing to bet she was only made for copyright issues. Remember, decades ago, when the comic creators started creating female counterparts to all of their male heroes out of the fear of others doing the same to cash in on the names? What if she was only created as a safe-guard for the popularity of Thor in the movies?
To argue the "Thor is half-naked" thing; Thor being half-naked isn't about female titillation (in the comics, at least. The same can DEFINITELY not be said for Chris Hemsworth in the movies) like what the cleavage/mid-riffs/leotards/daisy dukes thing is for men. Buff manly men punching dudes is more of a male power fantasy. This, basically: http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/comic/book-13/05-the-death-of-snkrs/falseequivalence/ (sorry if you've seen it before. Also, I don't know how to add images in a forum post. Fear me, I am nublet).

My guess is that Thor Odinson not being made king of Asgard may have something to do with him no longer being worthy of Mjolnir. I dunno what's going to happen, but I'd guess he's going to be ostracized or something. No idea. We'll see.

The problem with the "Lady Thor" thing is that this isn't She-Thor or Thor-Woman, it's just Thor. Who happens to be a woman now. *shrug*

I don't want to start any internet fights, this is just how I'm seeing things right now.

Clura

Aug 5, 2007
ThatHybridGuy said:
To argue the "Thor is half-naked" thing; Thor being half-naked isn't about female titillation (in the comics, at least. The same can DEFINITELY not be said for Chris Hemsworth in the movies) like what the cleavage/mid-riffs/leotards/daisy dukes thing is for men. Buff manly men punching dudes is more of a male power fantasy. This, basically: http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/comic/book-13/05-the-death-of-snkrs/falseequivalence/
Wait, hold on... I learned on tumblr that only the offended party can say what is offensive? Why do YOU get decide its ok to make fun of another group's insecurities? Why do you presume male humans collectively have fantasies about hurting the weak with their fists? I feel unappreciated and misunderstood. I feel deeply hurt. This thread has been emotionally draining. Why aren't there trigger warnings?

ThatHybridGuy

Jun 27, 2010
Clura said:
ThatHybridGuy said:
To argue the "Thor is half-naked" thing; Thor being half-naked isn't about female titillation (in the comics, at least. The same can DEFINITELY not be said for Chris Hemsworth in the movies) like what the cleavage/mid-riffs/leotards/daisy dukes thing is for men. Buff manly men punching dudes is more of a male power fantasy. This, basically: http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/comic/book-13/05-the-death-of-snkrs/falseequivalence/
Wait, hold on... I learned on tumblr that only the offended party can say what is offensive? Why do YOU get decide its ok to make fun of another group's insecurities? Why do you presume male humans collectively have fantasies about hurting the weak with their fists? I feel unappreciated and misunderstood. I feel deeply hurt. This thread has been emotionally draining. Why aren't there trigger warnings?
Eh, I don't subscribe to the "Every guy wants to be Thor/Superman/Batman" thing myself, but there's a reason those characters have stayed so popular for so long. Superman especially is definitely a product of his era (comics were, in fact, for kids. There's a reason kids want/ed to be Superman, and it isn't for his morals, those were just the intended side-effect), but he stuck around because he was in fact a strong character in and of himself. Same with characters like Catwoman, Wonder Woman etc., and it's also why the most blatant attempts at titillation have never worked out (Sinnamon, anyone?). I'm just saying there's a trend there.

Strong people punching other people is a popular genre. Nothing wrong with it. I enjoy it myself. Acting like characters like Thor are buff so women can find them sexy is ignoring a large chunk of the history of comics when women weren't even considered as a potential audience. It may be an aspect (as with the aforementioned Hemsworth), but it's like saying that Power Girl's boob window is for ventilation purposes.

Also I never mentioned anything about Tumblr, "triggering" or any of that SJW junk. I don't really know where you got that from.

Fairly Chaotic

Jun 18, 2014
ThatHybridGuy said:
Get outta here with your reasonable debate. That's how the fightin' gets started. j/k

Eh, my first was only a jab at those that whine whenever a fictitious woman shows skin.

I believe the "Male Power Fantasy" argument is outdated. There are too many people who enjoy too many different things. For every women that likes effeminate fantasy men (like in the comic you linked) and yaoi I can point out women who enjoy things like the Hobbs-Toretto fight in Fast and Furious 6 and other things typically labeled as "MPF". There are also women who enjoy both. So MPF isn't exclusive to men anymore and not all men buy into it. I know this is off-topic but I enjoy a light, friendly debate when I can get one.

As for lady Thor (I'm only prefixing with lady for differentiation), I'm not claiming to be right and all knowing with my copyright statement but she doesn't need to be called She-Thor or any other similar moniker. There just needs to be a woman called Thor and that'll be enough for a copyright defense. I'm no expert so I could be wrong.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
So whats the new Thor's name? Cause i don't believe they've made mention of what her name will be.

As far as I know THOR isn't a title for wielder of Mjolnir lol

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
JayBlanc said:
What's up with all these Fake Geek Guys commenting here with their obvious lack of comic book knowledge. Pretty obvious they're only doing it for the attention.
Right? They probably don't even read comics. They should get back in the garage and make me a motorcycle... or something.

-m

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Kind of like it. I hope she gets something of her own when the hammer eventually returns to the true thor and isn't just discarded or killed off.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
gamegod25 said:
*blinks confused* ....why does Thor have a cyborg arm? Is this gonna be like with that hook and Aqua Man?
Odinson definitely now reminds me of Golden Mullet Aqua Man now.

Fairly Chaotic said:

If it hasn't been done yet part of me now expects Cable will be future Thor. Like how Ultimate Cable was supposedly Wolverine.

I agree with you on everything else.

JohnnyK

Jul 26, 2014
So without Mjolnir does it mean Thor Odinson will be severely depowered? Will he not now be able to defeat other characters he could previously? I really hope he doesn't become a punching bag. Thor has always been my favorite character and I feel he has often been disrespected. On the other hand maybe by not having Mjolnir to rely on he will become a more skilled fighter. I for one hope so.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Matt_LRR said:
Thor Odinson and Thor, God of Thunder are not necessarily one and the same in the Marvel comics universe. This is literally the full extent of the complication this change implies.

If this somehow actually confuses you, and you don't just have the vapours over a change to the status quo that you don't like, then I'm not sure how you've managed to deal with with the last 60-odd years of comics (dis)continuity.

-m
Actually, an obscure but important rule of writing dictates the no two characters should share the same name, no matter the circumstances surrounding them and especially not if either of those characters are majorly important, as it runs the risk of perplexing the reader. Titles aside, the fact that they'd essentially give two major characters the same name is a flaw with the writing, and as with any flaw it should've been fixed.

Granted, my expertise with writing lies entirely with pure literature, so I'm not sure if such a rule would translate to comic books, or if "the flow" of writing is as important to comics as it is to books. Nonetheless, if this were a novel, it'd definitely have to be fixed. You never want to run the risk of tripping up the reader, even for an instant.

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Saetha said:
Matt_LRR said:
Thor Odinson and Thor, God of Thunder are not necessarily one and the same in the Marvel comics universe. This is literally the full extent of the complication this change implies.

If this somehow actually confuses you, and you don't just have the vapours over a change to the status quo that you don't like, then I'm not sure how you've managed to deal with with the last 60-odd years of comics (dis)continuity.

-m
Actually, an obscure but important rule of writing dictates the no two characters should share the same name, no matter the circumstances surrounding them and especially not if either of those characters are majorly important, as it runs the risk of perplexing the reader. Titles aside, the fact that they'd essentially give two major characters the same name is a flaw with the writing, and as with any flaw it should've been fixed.

Granted, my expertise with writing lies entirely with pure literature, so I'm not sure if such a rule would translate to comic books, or if "the flow" of writing is as important to comics as it is to books. Nonetheless, if this were a novel, it'd definitely have to be fixed. You never want to run the risk of tripping up the reader, even for an instant.
It is definitely not an issue within the comics universe (and yeah, comics writing is routinely "flawed" from a lit perspective). Thankfully, by nature of the medium, we have graphical representations to differentiate characters by, not just names. There already two active characters within the mainline marvel universe that go by "Hawkeye" (and their stories are told concurrently within the run of the same title - and that title has won multiple Eisner awards).

There are several Spider-Men at this point, There have been a handful of different Captain Americas. I can think of two different Black Widows.

In The DC universe, there were, at one point, no less than four Characters claiming to be Superman at the same time.

So, I would suggest that your rules probably don't apply.

-m

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Matt_LRR said:
Saetha said:
It is definitely not an issue within the comics universe (and yeah, comics writing is routinely "flawed" from a lit perspective). Thankfully, by nature of the medium, we have graphical representations to differentiate characters by, not just names. There already two active characters within the mainline marvel universe that go by "Hawkeye" (and their stories are told concurrently within the run of the same title - and that title has won multiple Eisner awards).

There are several Spider-Men at this point, There have been a handful of different Captain Americas. I can think of two different Black Widows.

In The DC universe, there were, at one point, no less than four Characters claiming to be Superman at the same time.

-m
Hmm. True. I didn't account for the visual aspect of comics...

...Shit, low content post! Okay, uh... uh... very true Matt LRR! Gee, you're so smart! Please don't slap me with a low content warning, I have a clean record!

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Saetha said:
Matt_LRR said:
Saetha said:

-m
Hmm. True. I didn't account for the visual aspect of comics...

...Shit, low content post! Okay, uh... uh... very true Matt LRR! Gee, you're so smart! Please don't slap me with a low content warning, I have a clean record!
haha, I totally do not have mod powers, your record is safe with me. :p

-m

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Blue Ranger said:
Quite frankly, it's getting pretty damn annoying that people ignore the fact that men can and do get objectified because it doesn't suit their agenda.
I suspect this is a difference of definition. How do you define the word "objectified," Blue Ranger, such that it applies to male characters in comics? The paragraph following the line I quoted seems to suggest you think that anyone being portrayed as sexually attractive has been objectified. Is that your argument, or have I misunderstood you?