Mass Effect 2 : Favourite and most hated team members.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
I think it's kind of weird how the characters with real problems get labelled 'whiney' while Garrus is universally adored. Jack was horrifically abused as a child and has had to survive in the galaxy all by her self, going from one shitty life to another. That's someone with issues. Garrus' problem just seems to be that he's not allowed to shoot people in the face rather than arrest them. Boo hoo. Don't get me wrong, I like Garrus, but why do people label characters whiney when they've gone through more emotional trauma than most people ever will? Especially when they only talk about it if you ask them.

Yes, Jack was the romance choice for my original Shepard, why do you ask?

The only person I didn't care about was Jacob, because as people have said he's just dull. I expect if you spend a decent amount of time talking to him he gets more interesting, or at least that's how it seems to work with every other character.

Altorin said:
I thought Grunt looked too different from the other Krogan though.. it was really strange. I wish he didn't look so strange, but I loved him as a character.
I think it's because he's still going through puberty in the game, so he doesn't have the same fully developed head plates that the other Korgan have.

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
The only person I didn't care about was Jacob, because as people have said he's just dull. I expect if you spend a decent amount of time talking to him he gets more interesting, or at least that's how it seems to work with every other character.
Unfortunately no, he does not get more interesting, not even if your only other option for fun is watching paint dry......................

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Grunt - Wrex got me to liking Krogans, and I like how they are straightforward about EVERYTHING. No beating around the bush crap, so Grunt is a very regular member of my team. Wrex was my favorite member of the crew from ME1, and Grunt is one of my favorites in ME2.

Legion - Similar to Grunt, very straightforward, to a comical degree sometimes. Interesting to learn about the Geth.

Garrus - Agree totally with Joker about Garrus, other than liking the "old Garrus better" nice to see him pull the stick out of his butt.

Tali - I liked her in ME1, and still like her in ME2, didn't care for her extremist view on the Geth after coming across Legion.

Jack - Hate her. Wish Grunt would go beat the crap out of her and maybe get her laid. Anything to get her to lighten up and PUT ON SOME BLASTED CLOTHES. Uhg, I gagged when she made a pass at me. She's first in line if someone has to die.

Miranda - This is going to sound wierd, but I like talking to her because of her teeth. They are different and it catches my attention. Aside from that she's ok. I don't really like or hate her.

Mordin - I went back and fourth with Mordin on like/dislike for a while, landing in the neutral until he busted out in song. That landed him on my good side.

I'm pretty neutral on the others.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Most hated: Ashley. She's a damn xenophobe.

Favorite: Jacob. I'm a Vanguard. He's a Vanguard. We're shotgun/biotic buddies.

Crowghast

Aug 29, 2008
All the characters had serious problems. It came to the point where it almost seemed as though the Commander was an activist trying to solve all the troubled fellow's and problem children's personal issues.

Awesome. Seriously. I don't know why I enjoyed talking to model the Commander after a youth-group guy more than actually trying to save the galaxy. So, in order of recruitment, my opinion on each.

I didn't hate any of them is what I mean. I just [i\]liked[/i] some more than others.

1. Jacob: First impressions, normal guy. He'd be a swell guy to just... I dunno, go on a bro-date with. Get loud and spill some drinks 'n shiz. He had parental adandonment issues.

2. Miranda: The female human character to balance out the male one. Normal. I don't think i'd much enjoy her, she reminds me of an elementary school-teacher I once had. She has some self-image issues, a bit confused about how she feels really.

3. Mordin: Man this guy was a bad-ass. Fuck. I could talk to this guy all day, he's the person you DEFINITELY want on a ship. Unlike most members, he gives off a vibe of "Hey! I'm actually accomplishing stuff on this ship!" Unlike most of them, who seem to either sulk or look cool. His issue might've been something about ethics, but it didn't seem to bothe rhim so, meh.

4. Garrus: GARRUS! Buddy! He was a favorite from the start. No change but for the better. He really has grown. (I just wish he'd stop "DOING SOME CALIBRATIIONS".) I don't know if taking the law into your own hands would be an issue, because it just sounds like something Clint Eastwood would do.

5. Jack: A bitioc bad-ass who couldn't do things on the battlefield that she could do in the cut-scenes. Maybe that prison-break drained most of he rpower? I don't know. Had some issues with abuse, drugs, sex and rock 'n roll. The usual.

6. Grunt: My first reaction to hearing Wrex was no longer a party member: "YOU REPLACED WREX! I can never love you!" Then the backstory, and his release from the tank. "I am so sorry I doubted you.
[sup]Please don't kill me.[/sup]" Great stuff.
He kicks the most ass out of everyone and DEFINITELY would've gotten all my high-fives in real life. He had a sort of identity crisis and some puberty issues, funny.

7. Tali: Wow people, why all the hate for her accent? Personally, I already had a love affair with Miss Eastern Europe and her sexy accent. So Tali's psuedo-Romanian speech just made me love her all that much more. She's a dynamic character and is easily one of my favorites, but I can still see why other might dislike (or "HATEHATEHATEHATE!") her. No way could I hate her though. Although, she has a string of dialog during the loyalty mission that almost made me cry.
"I'm so sorry! I'll never be Renegade again! I promise!"
Anyway, she really isn't all that useful in combat, until you get the explosive drone. That things is a useful fucker. As for issues, she's REALLY stubborn and has lived in a suit for twenty-four years. And then her dad died. ANYONE would have some issues after that.

8. Thane: What a bad-ass. Seriously. He has all of my high-grade marks for backstory and personality. Not only that, but he totally kicks ass in battle. Especially during cutscenes. Why doesn't he have a "Disappear" or "Close-Combat Awesomeness" power? Issue-wise, he was raised to kill people, saw his wife die as a result, abandons his only son to get revenge, never goes back. WOW. Sounds like something I might do.
Only with less of me living.

9. Samara: Meh.

10. Legion: Adds a whole new layer to the intrigue inherent in Mass Effect. At first you're all like, "GETH ARE DUMB AND EVIL, RAR" and then Legion totally shows up out of nowhere and he's like "No way man, we're totally cool" and you're all like "AWESOOOOOOME".
Or something like that. Anyway, he was pretty cool, but basically had all the talents Tali had plus a sniper rifle.
I liked taking him on board the Flotilla. That was a barrel of laughs. Any personal issues? None. He's practically the most normal person on the whole ship, for a Geth fan-boy.

So there you have it.

In the end, the person I hated most might've been the Renegade Shephard. He's a gigantic DICK.

Sure, he sometimes does bad-ass stuff, but other times... he just... he's just an asshole. For no reason other than to be an asshole for the sake of being an asshole.

Jacob and Miranda were okay, too bland.

Mordin kicks ass, and sings a mean Major-General improv.

Garrus is my homeboy.

Jack was a crazy ************, didn't show off as much as she did in the cutscenes.

Grunt is Grunt. *High-five*

Tali is a sweetie-pie who deserves a hug.

Thane can disappear without a trace and kicks ass.

Samara is meh.

Legion adds new depth to the Geth and is just plain sweet.

I found it hard to play as a renegade during Mass Effect 2, mainly because the reactions characters give to you are usually dissatisfying, often times the reactions are so heart-wrenching that I had to load a save and "make right what [b\][i\]I[/i][/b] made wrong."

Especially Tali's loyalty mission. Her words still hurt me...

All-in-all, great game with balanced, well thought-out characters. Mass Effect proves true to it's designation as a "space-opera", all they need now is Shephard's evil twin to romance his paramore and for someone to go into a coma. Also, add thirty main characters.

Crowghast

Aug 29, 2008
Jenova65 said:
Uszi said:
Jenova65 said:
I equally don't 'get', the Tali thing either.
Sexy accent + dem hips.
Yeah, still don't get it, but thanks for your well thought out reply ;-)
Well, that's what grabs most people. As for me, it was her unique character in Mass Effect 1, what with being the only likeable female crew member, and the only Quarian in the whole game. She came across as stubborn and determined, despite literally being the most physically weak character on the team, which takes some serious cajones as they say over here. To me, she seemed deeply motivated, devoted to a cause, focused on the mission, and had a Romanian accent. Damn I love Eastern Europe.

In ME2, her loyalty story just plain yanked me in. I found that I could not BEAR to turn over the evidence of her father's treason while playing Renegade. When I did, I felt compelled to [i\]undo[/i] what I had done. (Load save, I mean.) When you realize you feel you have commit emotional betrayal to an animated character with voice-acting done by someone you've never even met... two things are obvious:

1. Someone did a good job at BioWare.
2. You like the character.

But that's just me. I don't know about you.

I hope that explains to you more than just "SO HAWT, LAWLZ".

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
Jenova65 said:
Uszi said:
Jenova65 said:
Sexy accent + dem hips.
Pulling from my own post on this thread:

Kavonde said:
Favorite: Tali. I love Tali, and I think she deserves credit for being the single biggest badass in your crew. Here's the slip of a girl, sort of nerdy and awkward, who has to wear a special environment suit at all times to avoid potentially life-threatening infections. She could be a valuable member of the team without ever leaving the Normandy, lending her technological expertise to the crew and making sure everything's running smoothly. Instead, she picks up a friggin' shotgun and starts kicking the hell out of any and all comers. Tali is awesome.
Also, yeah. Sexy accent + hips.

EDIT: And what Crowghast said.

Crowghast

Aug 29, 2008
Kavonde said:

Kavonde said:
Favorite: Tali. I love Tali, and I think she deserves credit for being the single biggest badass in your crew. Here's the slip of a girl, sort of nerdy and awkward, who has to wear a special environment suit at all times to avoid potentially life-threatening infections. She could be a valuable member of the team without ever leaving the Normandy, lending her technological expertise to the crew and making sure everything's running smoothly. Instead, she picks up a friggin' shotgun and starts kicking the hell out of any and all comers. Tali is awesome.

Hey! Someone actually read something I wrote for once!

I can finally die happy. Yes.

Kavonde

Usually Neutral Good
Feb 8, 2010
Crowghast said:
Hey! Someone actually read something I wrote for once!

I can finally die happy. Yes.
Well, you said what I would've said if I wasn't determined to sound like an irreverent smartass. Tali's loyalty mission was very much full of warm fuzzies :)

Jenova65

Oct 3, 2009
Crowghast said:
Jenova65 said:
Uszi said:
Jenova65 said:
Sexy accent + dem hips.
Well, that's what grabs most people. As for me, it was her unique character in Mass Effect 1, what with being the only likeable female crew member, and the only Quarian in the whole game. She came across as stubborn and determined, despite literally being the most physically weak character on the team, which takes some serious cajones as they say over here. To me, she seemed deeply motivated, devoted to a cause, focused on the mission, and had a Romanian accent. Damn I love Eastern Europe.

In ME2, her loyalty story just plain yanked me in. I found that I could not BEAR to turn over the evidence of her father's treason while playing Renegade. When I did, I felt compelled to [i\]undo[/i] what I had done. (Load save, I mean.) When you realize you feel you have commit emotional betrayal to an animated character with voice-acting done by someone you've never even met... two things are obvious:

1. Someone did a good job at BioWare.
2. You like the character.

But that's just me. I don't know about you.

I hope that explains to you more than just "SO HAWT, LAWLZ".
Why thank you, good sir! I certainly understand why YOU like her now anyway! ;-)
Kavonde said:
Jenova65 said:
Uszi said:
Jenova65 said:
Sexy accent + dem hips.

Kavonde said:

And you too.
Now, if I could just get a few male gamers to see why Kaiden is 10 times the man Jacob will ever be (and why Kaiden isn't boring, and *swoon* oh, that voice!) we might just fix that whole ''Men are from Mars, women are from Venus'', concept.......... :p

Crowghast

Aug 29, 2008
Jenova65 said:
Now, if I could just get a few male gamers to see why Kaiden is 10 times the man Jacob will ever be (and why Kaiden isn't boring, and *swoon* oh, that voice!) we might just fix that whole ''Men are from Mars, women are from Venus'', concept.......... :p
[controversy brackets] It's because he's white! [/controversy brackets]

Personally, they were both pretty equal in terms how much I really didn't care for either of them. Although, Carth Onasi really [i\]is[/i] a better voice actor.

Oh yeah, and I'm glad you understood my opinion! I can chalk two more tallies on the board that says: "Things To Do Before My Life Is Complete".

This whole week has just been a field day of those!

Leodiensian

Jun 7, 2008
Favourite: Either Thane or Garrus.

Least favourite: Miranda or Jacob. Boring characters, not very fun in combat.

SCAFC Chimp

Jan 6, 2010
Favourites: Thane, for being badass and just generally awesome. Mordin, for being funny, and cold at the sane time. Legion for...y'know. Garrus because he's been there since the beginning, and has great dialog.

Least Favourite: Jack. She got Thane killed in my ending! Dumb tattoed selfish...

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Favourites: Legion and Mordin. They're so fun/fascinating to talk to, and Legion's one of my favourite in combat. Both had fantastic loyalty missions, and (in my mind) the most feasable potential to expand on their backstory.

Least favourites would definitely be Zaeed and Jacob. They lack a lot of emotion, I didn't connect with them at all, and while Zaeed's a badass, he's also very annoying.

Saylek

Dec 12, 2008
gotta say I love garrus/samara
Garrus/grunt
garrus/thane
or garrus/legion
thats pretty much all i used the whole game when i had the chance
miranda should go die and jack should try to jump out the airlock (in a nice way)

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
i hate jack.. never bothered with miranda but for the rest i like the squad mates
favourites hmm tali/legion (yes that combination) or garrus/grunt garrus/tali grunt/legion