Mass Effect 2 Hitting PS3 in January

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Mass Effect 2 Hitting PS3 in January

The second installment of BioWare's epic sci-fi RPG is coming to Sony's home console early next year.

Console exclusives are less common then they were in the past, but a really good one can still evoke rather potent pangs of jealousy from those who don't get to play it. But one of the very best Microsoft exclusive games, Mass Effect 2, won't be an exclusive for much longer.

Amazon let the cat out of the bag earlier [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Playstation-3/dp/B002I0J5YW] today, by listing a PS3 version of the game on the US site, and EA later confirmed the news in a press release. The PS3 release of ME2 will include the full game as it appeared on the 360 and PC, and hours of bonus content, which EA says will make it the perfect introduction to the series. Exactly what this bonus content is isn't clear at this time. It could be some of the DLC that has been already released for the game, or something that fills in the gaps for those who haven't played the first Mass Effect. I've contacted EA for clarification on this point, so hopefully I'll be able to update you soon.

There will inevitably be some disappointed PC and 360 gamers who rather liked the idea of having Mass Effect all to themselves, but other than that, there really isn't any downside to this announcement. The audience for the game has pretty much just been doubled, and it stands to reason that EA would want to support the series even more than it has before. According to the Amazon listing, the PS3 release of Mass Effect 2 is scheduled for release on January 31st 2011.

Source: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65163]

PseudoDuck

Bacon Robot
Oct 18, 2009
I am envious that PS3 owners will get to experience Mass Effect 2 for the first time. Especially when 360 and PC owners will have had it a year, completed it and still not got around to finishing all the DLC that they've downloaded for it...or maybe that's just me.

I also hope that PS3 owners don't get ME3 at the same time as 360 and PC owners. While it may be petty to wish that, it's kinda unfair that they won't have to wait as long to find out the end of the trilogy.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
This is the talk of the town on /v/ hahahahha.

All I can say is awesome because I have a PS3 and have wanted to play Mass Effect 2 for a while.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I don't care that PS3 owners can play the game in the near future, although to me it seems daft that the first one isn't released first as it really is a good idea to play Mass Effect before it's sequel; especially as the third one is coming out some time in the next year or so.

People will miss out if they don't play each one of them as they will be have the consequences of the first game decided for them, and to be honest, the "canon" version sucks in my opinion.

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Too bad for them that they got it a year after everyone else and veryone and there Quarian has played it, completed it and completed it again to see what its like playing as a diffrent class.

And Its going to be annoying buying all the DLCs at once...

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
I would laugh if they didn't realease Mass Effect 1 or 3 for it and just left them with Mass Effect 2.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
Mass Effect comes to the PS3. So what? If you are that worried about the games your console can or cannot play then your an idiot.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
giggedy giggedy giggedy.. though i have had no interest in ME2, it still made my day a bit better..

ltmarcos

Jan 25, 2010
Good for all the PS3 owners out there that don't have a capable PC. They will finally get to play one of the best games of the year. Just hope the bonus content isn't something completely new or all the DLC I had to buy over the past few months. Similar thing happened when ME1 came to PC they received the Bringing Down the Sky DLC that i spent $10 on for free. As far as I know the PC version was $10 cheaper to begin with. But c'est la vie

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
FinalDream said:
Mass Effect comes to the PS3. So what? If you are that worried about the games your console can or cannot play then your an idiot.
It's a fanboy thing. The PlayStation ones don't want to have to hold a 360 controller to play a game, even if it is a good one. And the Xbox ones don't want to see one of their better releases ported over to the PS3. That and if people don't have a lot of money to own both systems (or friends that have the other), it matters.

OT: The story of ME2 was weak by comparison to the fist one, or at least the side quests were more annoying than what it was worth. I would only contemplate it if the first came over, but it won't since it was distributed by Microsoft instead of EA.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I dunno, playing ME2 on PS3 will be a one-time thing. You can't download saved games from ME1, either yours or someone who finished it (if for instance you killed Wrex, but wanted him in ME2).

Korey Von Doom

May 18, 2008
Any smart gamer has a PS3 and a gaming PC anyway, with that combo there is no reason to have a 360. Also ME2 was no where near as good as ME