Mass Effect 2 tiny text

Yarkaz

Aug 22, 2009
Hey-o Escapist! I just found a shiny new copy of Mass Effect 2 at Target for $13 and couldn't resist. However after playing for a half an hour, I've found that the game is very difficult to play 'cause of how small all the in-game text is. It's made reading weapon/upgrade descriptions quite a pain, and at times when I need to play with low volume, figuring out what's up in the story is nearly impossible. I use a pretty small TV so sitting close and squinting didn't do much.
Did Bioware ever release a solution to any of this?

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
I'm this is a known issue with smaller standard-definition TVs.

http://kotaku.com/5463862/mass-effect-2-and-the-curse-of-the-tiny-text

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I had the same problem and I've got a huge TV. It might be my TV's resolution, but I know it's not me because I've had people comment on how they couldn't read the game's text on my TV.

V161

Dec 8, 2009
As far as I know they did not. If memory serves me right; Bioware actually commented on the problem that some people were having regarding the text with some sympathy for the issue, but no resolution. In addition they also said that the text appearance was worsened by playing the game on a standard definition screen (makes sense). Still an awesome game.

Sucks if that's your plight, but at least you know what to ask Santa for Christmas.
Hope you haven't been naughty...

Eumersian

Posting in the wrong thread.
Sep 3, 2009
When I played it, I figured it was just because I had a standard definition TV. About last year, maybe ten months ago, I don't know, I got a nice HDTV. Small text = not a problem.

Pyode

Jul 1, 2009
Yea, when it first came out I was playing on a 13" SDTV and boy was that a pain in the ass. Luckily I now have a 30" HDTV so it's no longer a problem for me.

Anyway, I don't have any advice other then try to get your hands on an HDTV. You can get a small one for about a $100 USD now. Otherwise, learn to squint really hard.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
You need a decent TV to solve that problem unfortunately. I got a new TV and the games I used to have this issue with don't bother me anymore.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
Its because the game was made for HDTV and I'm assuming you have SD. Its a same with a few games of this generation like I think Dead Rising had this problem too

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
They have acknowledged the problem. And the fact it isn't getting a fix.

Can try hooking it to a PC monitor, maybe.

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, this is the reason I really need to get a new tv so I can read video games.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Huh, even on large TVs I have trouble reading the text also, but after a while your eyes adjust to the tiny text.

Course, in the long run trying to read that kinda text will mess up your vision.

Vision, or fun... I think I'll choose fun!

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
It's because Mass Effect 2 was made for HD TV's.
Low definition TV's have very small text indeed.