Mass Effect 3 Actors Come Back For More

Antonio Torrente

New member
Feb 19, 2010
869
0
0
This will just divide the fanbase even more and like someone already said above will do more harm than good.

Let's face it, Bioware will never give us the satisfying ending we want, and it's just gonna be be a patch up work they made in what a weekend?

I'm hoping to be wrong in this, but judging with the games I played this year and last year with flashy AAA games that when the excitement passes and you will begin to see the glaring flaws and the disappointments that follows. Examples are Skyrim and Batman: Arkham City, so you can't but feel a bit pessimistic of what will they give us.

If they are gonna release this summer, can they give a definitive date so we don't have to guess.
 

Kingjackl

New member
Nov 18, 2009
1,041
0
0
I_am_a_Spoon said:
Indoctrination theory.

Who said their artistic integrity is misguided or non-existant? If they pull something like IT off now, their reputation will be restored and the entire gaming world will know about it.

Lots of hate out there, but it's all free publicity, right?

So if everyone starts hearing about how their official ending was actually valid within the new context, and that Bioware successfully tricked their entire fanbase using in-game means, then it's possible that ME will go down as one of the best and most intelligent trilogies in history.

So newcomers buy into the publicity, and purchase all three games...

-----

Zachary Amaranth said:
Well, it makes more sense than the indoctrination theory.
How does IT not make sense?
The problem with the Indoctrination Theory is that it would be a great and intelligent twist...if there was actually any sort of in-game payoff. If we accept that Indoctrination Theory is true, then what does that actually mean? Shepard is still either dead or dying, the Illusive Man is still up on the Citadel desparately trying to convince himself he's doing the right thing, Hammer Force is wiped out, the fleets are being decimated and the Crucible ain't going anywhere anytime soon. If Bioware really did intend to do a twist like that, they would have shown the outcome and given it proper closure.

Whereas the 'official' ending, despite being a poorly presented rush job (the sort of thing the EC would be best suited to fixing) makes things much clearer. The Reapers are defeated in one of three methods, all of which have their own pros and cons, meaning the choice comes down to more than just 'top left blue = win'. The cycle is broken, Shepard lives or dies a hero and the survivng races are united. It's overall a more optimistic ending for the series than IT, which really just comes down to "okay, that one was all just a dream, try not to get too upset".
 

pilouuuu

New member
Aug 18, 2009
701
0
0
soren7550 said:
This is kind of old news. Sbarge reported on Twitter (along with several other ME3 voice actors) that they were heading back to the VO booth to record new lines some time ago.
Admiral Hackett talking about the matter is not old news...
 

pilouuuu

New member
Aug 18, 2009
701
0
0
Kingjackl said:
I_am_a_Spoon said:
Indoctrination theory.

Who said their artistic integrity is misguided or non-existant? If they pull something like IT off now, their reputation will be restored and the entire gaming world will know about it.

Lots of hate out there, but it's all free publicity, right?

So if everyone starts hearing about how their official ending was actually valid within the new context, and that Bioware successfully tricked their entire fanbase using in-game means, then it's possible that ME will go down as one of the best and most intelligent trilogies in history.

So newcomers buy into the publicity, and purchase all three games...

-----

Zachary Amaranth said:
Well, it makes more sense than the indoctrination theory.
How does IT not make sense?
The problem with the Indoctrination Theory is that it would be a great and intelligent twist...if there was actually any sort of in-game payoff. If we accept that Indoctrination Theory is true, then what does that actually mean? Shepard is still either dead or dying, the Illusive Man is still up on the Citadel desparately trying to convince himself he's doing the right thing, Hammer Force is wiped out, the fleets are being decimated and the Crucible ain't going anywhere anytime soon. If Bioware really did intend to do a twist like that, they would have shown the outcome and given it proper closure.

Whereas the 'official' ending, despite being a poorly presented rush job (the sort of thing the EC would be best suited to fixing) makes things much clearer. The Reapers are defeated in one of three methods, all of which have their own pros and cons, meaning the choice comes down to more than just 'top left blue = win'. The cycle is broken, Shepard lives or dies a hero and the survivng races are united. It's overall a more optimistic ending for the series than IT, which really just comes down to "okay, that one was all just a dream, try not to get too upset".
I think to make the IT right they need to make it like after Shepard passed out in the room with Anderson, everything after that is a dream. It's not like the whole game was a dream or something. Just the Star child crap. Having survived and his indoctrination failed he/she wakes up in London to fight against the reapers. It's much better than the current ending.
 

pilouuuu

New member
Aug 18, 2009
701
0
0
What they really need to make is different endings depending on your performance in ALL THREE games. Sheppard survives, Shepard dies, Shepard sacrifices him/herself, mass relays destroyed, mass relays remain intact, Hollywood ending: everyone celebrated and have a big party with/without Shepard, the reapers win and destroy organic life, etc.

Even humouristic Easteregg's endings could be included like: everyone dies and they meet in the afterlife, Sheppard speaks and is interrupted midsentence, Sheppard discovers that he was dead all along, Sheppard is outside the Normandy talking to Tali and she leaves and says "We'll always have the citadel", Sheppard end up old in a bed and then becomes a baby floating in space, etc, etc, etc. They should make fun of the ending and all this situation!


It would be brilliant if everything you did in previous games mattered and you get a different ending, so everyone may eventually be happy with one of the endings. It's a game, not a movie. All games should have many endings, especially RPGs. This should be the moment where we demand good endings from the industry. Or something...
 

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
8,379
0
0
There are other actors signed on as well. Namely Kimberly Brooks (Ashley Williams) and Brandon Keener (Garrus Vakarian). Both pretty much confirmed, or hinted like hell, that they were working on the EC as well.

I want to be hopeful, since we've so far gotten Kaidan, EDI, Ashley, Garrus and now Hackett to sign on for additional dialogue. Maybe it will be amazing, spell binding and emotionally engaging but I'm not going to get my hopes up. It'll likely be setting myself up for more heartbreak.

Like I've said, many, many times before, I'm more interested in the Mass Effect 3 play arts kai figures of Ashley, Garrus and Shepard. At least they can't hurt me the way Mass Effect 3's ending did.
 

Kingjackl

New member
Nov 18, 2009
1,041
0
0
pilouuuu said:
Kingjackl said:
I_am_a_Spoon said:
Indoctrination theory.

Who said their artistic integrity is misguided or non-existant? If they pull something like IT off now, their reputation will be restored and the entire gaming world will know about it.

Lots of hate out there, but it's all free publicity, right?

So if everyone starts hearing about how their official ending was actually valid within the new context, and that Bioware successfully tricked their entire fanbase using in-game means, then it's possible that ME will go down as one of the best and most intelligent trilogies in history.

So newcomers buy into the publicity, and purchase all three games...

-----

Zachary Amaranth said:
Well, it makes more sense than the indoctrination theory.
How does IT not make sense?
The problem with the Indoctrination Theory is that it would be a great and intelligent twist...if there was actually any sort of in-game payoff. If we accept that Indoctrination Theory is true, then what does that actually mean? Shepard is still either dead or dying, the Illusive Man is still up on the Citadel desparately trying to convince himself he's doing the right thing, Hammer Force is wiped out, the fleets are being decimated and the Crucible ain't going anywhere anytime soon. If Bioware really did intend to do a twist like that, they would have shown the outcome and given it proper closure.

Whereas the 'official' ending, despite being a poorly presented rush job (the sort of thing the EC would be best suited to fixing) makes things much clearer. The Reapers are defeated in one of three methods, all of which have their own pros and cons, meaning the choice comes down to more than just 'top left blue = win'. The cycle is broken, Shepard lives or dies a hero and the survivng races are united. It's overall a more optimistic ending for the series than IT, which really just comes down to "okay, that one was all just a dream, try not to get too upset".
I think to make the IT right they need to make it like after Shepard passed out in the room with Anderson, everything after that is a dream. It's not like the whole game was a dream or something. Just the Star child crap. Having survived and his indoctrination failed he/she wakes up in London to fight against the reapers. It's much better than the current ending.
That's still not getting past the fact that it didn't actually happen. How does s/he go from being passed out on the floor in the Citadel control room to suddenly being back on the ground waiting to 'finish the fight'? For that matter, how does that work when you're bleeding to death from Harbinger's laser blast?

When you go from fighting on the ground in London, to heading up the Citadel beam, to confronting the Illusive Man in the control room, then the Catalyst in the Crucible control place, you have a good sense of flow. The only reason people like to pretend the last part didn't happen is because the Catalyst's words are so cringe-worthy to listen to because they're coming from the mouth of an eight year old boy who clearly can't act.

Also, if you accept the idea that all the Catalyst stuff didn't happen, then what's the point of giving us the three choices at the end? People make jokes about the whole Red/Green/Blue thing, but the actual choices themselves and the benefits and consequences that come with them are all morally grey, meaning you actually have to rationalise them, which is more than can be said for most of the choices in the Mass Effect series.
 

Arcadian Legend

Blame your fate!
Jan 9, 2012
123
0
0
Antonio Torrente said:
This will just divide the fanbase even more and like someone already said above will do more harm than good.

Let's face it, Bioware will never give us the satisfying ending we want, and it's just gonna be be a patch up work they made in what a weekend?

I'm hoping to be wrong in this, but judging with the games I played this year and last year with flashy AAA games that when the excitement passes and you will begin to see the glaring flaws and the disappointments that follows. Examples are Skyrim and Batman: Arkham City, so you can't but feel a bit pessimistic of what will they give us.

If they are gonna release this summer, can they give a definitive date so we don't have to guess.
Wait, following that logic, if they were able to make it in just a weekend, wouldn't it be available for download ages ago? It's been a good while since they announced the EC.
 

WanderingFool

New member
Apr 9, 2009
3,991
0
0
Innegativeion said:
WanderingFool said:
Sixcess said:
Personally if I was Bioware I'd just break the 4th wall and just insert a sequence where the various characters argue about what the hell just happened over the closing credits - director's commentary style.
...I love you...

But seriously, that would actually be worth a couple bucks, IMO, just for the lulz.
Hell yes.

Commander Shepard Version of


NOW! Make it happen!!!

Hell, re-watching this video, I realized that replacing Shinji's voice with the commander's, the video almost makes perfect sense in the context of mass effect!
I actually did mentally replace Shinji's voice with that of Male Shep, and promptly fell out of my chair laughing. Yes, that is exactly what we need for ME3.
 

Slanzinger

New member
Nov 19, 2009
89
0
0
The cat's out of the bag: turns out it isn't the ending that's being changed in an upcoming update, but the Game Over screen.
 

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
1,853
0
0
Well, I'll be interested to see what they do. I didn't like the endings at all, but I was also against changing them, since people should be allowed to make mistakes. Also, changing it would have felt like a hollow victory - them just giving what some fans scream for the loudest, and that wouldn't have been any good.

If they expand the ending, then it wouldn't be so bad, I guess. I suppose they were going to let subsequent games delve into the effects the ending had on the galaxy, but that wasn't a wise move.

Mildly interested to see what they come up with, but I'm damn certain they'll end up pleasing few fans.
 

Antonio Torrente

New member
Feb 19, 2010
869
0
0
Arcadian Legend said:
Antonio Torrente said:
This will just divide the fanbase even more and like someone already said above will do more harm than good.

Let's face it, Bioware will never give us the satisfying ending we want, and it's just gonna be be a patch up work they made in what a weekend?

I'm hoping to be wrong in this, but judging with the games I played this year and last year with flashy AAA games that when the excitement passes and you will begin to see the glaring flaws and the disappointments that follows. Examples are Skyrim and Batman: Arkham City, so you can't but feel a bit pessimistic of what will they give us.

If they are gonna release this summer, can they give a definitive date so we don't have to guess.
Wait, following that logic, if they were able to make it in just a weekend, wouldn't it be available for download ages ago? It's been a good while since they announced the EC.
What I meant was the "Extended Cut" that they will give us is a kind of a rushed job and will add more questions than answers. And I don't literally mean that they will just do it in a weekend.

Of course I still hoping that I'm wrong with what I said.
 

AbstractStream

New member
Feb 18, 2011
1,399
0
0
I realize I'm making a mistake here by letting myself feel some hope...
I was kind of disappointed that I didn't see Hale's name though. Oh well.
 
Aug 3, 2010
185
0
0
insanelich said:
This ending doesn't fit into the story. And not surprising, given that the writing staff changed between ME2 and ME3.
Oh, I don't contest that at all - as I've said, there's no question that from a purely technical, narratological view, the ending is a dud. I just don't understand why people are pushing for Indoctrination Theory when it doesn't solve the problem, so much as create an artificial means through which the problem can be solved in some other way...
 

Spoonius

New member
Jul 18, 2009
1,659
0
0
Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
Let's be clear here: Indoctrination Theory won't solve or fix anything. At best it loops the player back to before the Citadel sequence - in that way it's even less of an ending than what we already have.
It doesn't provide any satisfying resolution, but it makes total sense out of the entire ending that we've seen so far. Almost every loose end is tied up. And yeah, it's open-ended by itself, but if IT is correct then it was always going to be followed up by an epilogue... which is what we're about to see as free DLC. ;)

Diana Kingston-Gabai said:
And it's ultimately unnecessary. IT sprung up as a tool BioWare could use if they wanted to insert a completely different ending - a "real" ending, as it were - after the RGB sequence. That's not going to happen, so what use would IT be on its own?
Except it isn't a totally different ending. Not at all. It's an interpretation, one that is based upon numerous in-game and real-life indicators that something similar to IT had always been planned. Bioware keeps talking about "artistic integrity" and people keep giving them shit for their stubbornness... but nobody ever stops to think that maybe we don't have the full picture, or that Bioware may benefit in the long run from all the attention and press their ending has generated...
 

Spoonius

New member
Jul 18, 2009
1,659
0
0
Kingjackl said:
The problem with the Indoctrination Theory is that it would be a great and intelligent twist...if there was actually any sort of in-game payoff. If we accept that Indoctrination Theory is true, then what does that actually mean? Shepard is still either dead or dying, the Illusive Man is still up on the Citadel desparately trying to convince himself he's doing the right thing, Hammer Force is wiped out, the fleets are being decimated and the Crucible ain't going anywhere anytime soon. If Bioware really did intend to do a twist like that, they would have shown the outcome and given it proper closure.

Whereas the 'official' ending, despite being a poorly presented rush job (the sort of thing the EC would be best suited to fixing) makes things much clearer. The Reapers are defeated in one of three methods, all of which have their own pros and cons, meaning the choice comes down to more than just 'top left blue = win'. The cycle is broken, Shepard lives or dies a hero and the survivng races are united. It's overall a more optimistic ending for the series than IT, which really just comes down to "okay, that one was all just a dream, try not to get too upset".
I agree, but you have to remember that the EC is going to "clarify existing endings"... if IT or something similar is actually on the money, then there's our closure. :)

Judging by the sound of it, they're putting a fair bit of effort into the EC (which is free, meaning they want everyone to see it). So I don't think it'll just be a few tacked on cutscenes, hopefully it'll include gameplay as well.

Besides, you ever see the Renegade cutscene where Shepard awakes in the pile of rubble at the very end of the game? That's a massive hint that what we saw wasn't actually full closure...
 

Spoonius

New member
Jul 18, 2009
1,659
0
0
SpiderJerusalem said:
I'm confused that ANYONE would want the incredibly retarded Indoctrination Theory to be true. It reads like one of the dumbest, most convoluted fan fictions I've ever read and worse than the infamous Dallas episode of years back.

In fact, I'd be satisfied with the crappy and nonsensical ending to Mass Effect 3 as it is, if the other option would be taking the asinine fanboy diarrhea that they're pushing.
I'd love to hear your counter arguments... :)

Kingjackl said:
That's still not getting past the fact that it didn't actually happen. How does s/he go from being passed out on the floor in the Citadel control room to suddenly being back on the ground waiting to 'finish the fight'?
The current theory is that the hallucination/indoctrination attempt begins when Shepard is knocked out by the laser (which never actually hits him/her directly). Nothing after that (entering the beam, walking through the Citadel, talking to Anderson and TIM, listening to starchild, etc) actually happens. It's all in Shepard's head from there on out, until he wakes up in the Renegade ending.

Kingjackl said:
Also, if you accept the idea that all the Catalyst stuff didn't happen, then what's the point of giving us the three choices at the end? People make jokes about the whole Red/Green/Blue thing, but the actual choices themselves and the benefits and consequences that come with them are all morally grey, meaning you actually have to rationalise them, which is more than can be said for most of the choices in the Mass Effect series.
Because they're designed to appeal to Shepard... ie., you, the player.

The fact that the choices have contextual relevance or meaning doesn't necessarily make them real... that's the ingenuity of it. If we think they're real, then Shepard thinks they're real... and he's successfully manipulated by Harbinger. We have to take the initiative and realise the symbolism of each choice and it's greater relevance (control = TIM, synthesis = Saren, renegade = your driving goal all along, throughout all three games).