Mass Effect 3 Actors Come Back For More

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect 3 Actors Come Back For More

Hacket, EDI and Alenko are back in the studio to correct "an oversight."

Work on the Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116661-BioWare-Announces-Post-Ending-DLC-for-Mass-Effect-3-Updated] is proceeding apace with word that Lance Henriksen [Bishop], Tricia Helfer [Number Six] and Raphael Sbarge [who?] have all returned to the studio to record more lines. Sbarge, who actually plays Kaidan Alenko in the game, tweeted about the new voice work, while Helfer said she was going back to the role of EDI today. Henriksen provided a bit more insight, of a sort, into the need for the additional dialog.

"They were saying there's a little bit of a problem with the abruptness of the ending. So we did a whole series of things to add to the end of the game, to live up to the quality they've been doing," he told G4TV [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/723925/admiral-hackett-and-edi-wil-be-back-in-mass-effect-3-ending-content/].

"It was just an oversight," he continued. "Usually when a guy loses the game, the game shuts down, it's over, you're done. The players didn't like that."

Not that I want to tell Admiral Hackett his business, but I don't think he's quite 100 percent up to speed on why BioWare feels the need to extend the ending to the game. "Losing" is a bit abrupt, yes, but so is winning, which is what has so many players so upset. After committing themselves to a massive, three-game epic and the characters that brought it to life, the wrap-up was ambiguous at best and, in the eyes of its harshest critics, an illogical, impossible, flat-out betrayal of its fans.

BioWare has said the Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut, which is expected to come out this summer, will "expand upon the existing endings," but no actual changes will be made. Looking forward to seeing how that works out.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
Andy, the word you are looking for is Carth Onasi...

And inb4 the rage... Who knew Lance was such a gifted troll!

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"Usually when a guy loses the game, the game shuts down, it's over, you're done. The players didn't like that."
So, can we take from this that all one three of the endings were intended to show that you lost?

j/k.

However, j/k aside, I can't help but feel that this is more likely to reignite the flames than it is to put them out.

And it's slightly hilarious/farcical that Bioware, the most story-driven developer in gaming, have to deliver a satisfactory ending to their game in what is essentially a post-release patch.

Personally if I was Bioware I'd just break the 4th wall and just insert a sequence where the various characters argue about what the hell just happened over the closing credits - director's commentary style.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I really hope they insert a Marauder Shields joke.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"They were saying there's a little bit of a problem with the abruptness of the ending. So we did a whole series of things to add to the end of the game, to live up to the quality they've been doing," he told G4TV [http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/723925/admiral-hackett-and-edi-wil-be-back-in-mass-effect-3-ending-content/].

"It was just an oversight," he continued. "Usually when a guy loses the game, the game shuts down, it's over, you're done. The players didn't like that."

Not that I want to tell Admiral Hackett his business, but I don't think he's quite 100 percent up to speed on why BioWare feels the need to extend the ending to the game. "Losing" is a bit abrupt, yes, but so is winning, which is what has so many players so upset.
I wonder if he realizes the massive joke he just made.
Because even when you win Mass Effect 3, you lose Mass Effect 3.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Raven said:
:p and here I was starting to think I was the only one that knew that Kaiden = Carth.

But yeah, that was the impression I had since they announced that they were going to be making this "extended cut". It's not going to be the new ending a lot of people wanted, but rather just a patch-job to fill in plotholes like "How did the squad you took on the final push end up back on the Normandy for the very end?" and "Doesn't Shepard doom countless numbers of people/aliens to death no matter what ending you pick? Kinda sucks being marooned in a star system that has no planets you can breath on/eat the food of."

Here's to hoping the patch-job at least bumps the ending from being bad to "acceptable".

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Fappy said:
I really hope they insert a Marauder Shields joke.
:p Just completed my Insanity run over the weekend...surprisingly enough, Marauder Shields didn't give me any trouble...but his 3 husk posse beat my ass two or three times. xP

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Coooooome ooooooon yooouuuu indoctrinationtheory!

Be fun if it was real.

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Raven said:
:p and here I was starting to think I was the only one that knew that Kaiden = Carth.

But yeah, that was the impression I had since they announced that they were going to be making this "extended cut". It's not going to be the new ending a lot of people wanted, but rather just a patch-job to fill in plotholes like "How did the squad you took on the final push end up back on the Normandy for the very end?" and "Doesn't Shepard doom countless numbers of people/aliens to death no matter what ending you pick? Kinda sucks being marooned in a star system that has no planets you can breath on/eat the food of."

Here's to hoping the patch-job at least bumps the ending from being bad to "acceptable".
Anyone with the phrase "Google it" in their vocabulary knows the link between Kaiden and Carth.

I'm not even holding out for acceptable. I'll pass judgement when the whole thing becomes logical

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
I can only hope they are there to fix a major mistake (the ending)...
Raven said:
Carth is one of my favorite Video Game characters ever...

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"They were saying there's a little bit of a problem with the abruptness of the ending."
That understatement deserves a monocle of its own.

Spygon

May 16, 2009
So when this new "Mass Effect 3 Extended Cut" pretty much sums up that if you want closure you will need to buy mass Effect 4.Can i say i called it straight after the ending of Mass Effect 3.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that I'm not the only one who thinks the "Extended Cut" will do more harm than good if they do anything to disprove the Indoctrination Theory.

The ending just has too many things wrong with it to be fixed with "clarification".

I am glad to see EDI come back because she would only be alive in one possible ending unless the Indoctrination Theory came true.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
I hope this kind of news doesn't hit every time a new actor steps back in. I'd prefer to be surprised, and hear absolutely nothing about the Extended Cut until the day it gets released.

Then I will download it and there will be JOY!

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
This crap again. The power of my 'not-give-a-damn' is strong.

I was insulted and belittled by the company and it's behavior in the wake of the release during the whole debacle. I've gotten over my stages of frustration and grief. Now I just don't care, and i'm waiting for week later PLAYER reviews for every Bioware game that comes out and screw-you every 'professional' reviewer that didn't warn us about the ending by the way.

I'll take a look when this comes out but I refuse to be excited, interested, or invested.