Mass Effect 3 Appears on EA Store, Disappears Very Quickly

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Mass Effect 3 Appears on EA Store, Disappears Very Quickly

The evidence that BioWare's mystery game is Mass Effect 3 just keeps piling up.

A mix up on the EA Store saw a listing for the PC version of Mass Effect 3 appearing for a short period of time, before being hurriedly yanked down when someone realized the mistake. The listing is the second time someone has seemingly accidentally mentioned Mass Effect 3 recently, with the first [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105493-Sony-Russia-Claims-BioWare-Reveal-Is-Mass-Effect-3] coming from the PlayStation Russia Twitter feed.

The listing featured placeholder box art, with just the game's title on the front, and a short description which sounds eerily similar to Dragon Age: Orgins' plot, except with a sci-fi flavor, rather than fantasy. In Mass Effect 3, the Reapers have launched a devastating attack on Earth, home world of the human race. Only an alliance of the various races in the galaxy, lead by stalwart hero Commander Shepard, stands a chance of defeating the Reapers and taking back the planet.

It seems more and more likely that BioWare's big reveal at the Spike Videogame Awards is Mass Effect 3. The above description fits together very neatly with the ruined landscape in last month's teaser trailer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105366-Get-a-Glimpse-at-BioWares-New-Project]. That's before you take into consideration the more cryptic clues that pointed towards the Mass Effect universe, like the reference to Vostock station, which is where the lowest temperature on earth was recorded, as well as a solar system in Mass Effect. Not all the clues [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105650-London-Calling-With-a-Fresh-Clue-for-BioWares-New-Game] make sense yet, but I'd imagine that they will when we see the whole trailer on Saturday.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/ea-store-outs-mass-effect-3-189391.phtml]

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
OH, DAMN YOU. I didn't put those together, but now the teaser trailer makes perfect sense.

It's Mass Effect 3. This is so bittersweet, on one hand IT'S FREAKIN' MASS EFFECT 3! On the other, that's so anticlimactic, Mass Effect 3 isn't a surprise, it's an inevitability.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Nice, now to wait for Bioware to announce the spiritcrushingly faraway release date XD

V161

Dec 8, 2009
I stand corrected thinking it was a new IP. Now excuse me as I flog myself...

TheTaco007

Sep 10, 2009
Honestly, as much as I love the Mass Effect series, I hope this isn't it. I want something NEW to come out of Bioware. They have so much potential, and they do such fantastic games, but they waste all their talent on 1 or 2 series at a time.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
This is making me more and more convinced that it's not going to be ME3. I don't know why though.

Apr 28, 2008
Why wouldn't the Reapers just destroy Earth?

Hell humans have been giving them so much trouble, you'd think they would destroy them utterly. Plus, all those Reapers attack one planet? Kind of overkill but whatever.

Unless we're talking about another Collector-like race, in which case I'll be pissed off. One faceless army is enough, two is just ridiculous. Unless it has a strong antagonist, I'll be a sad panda.

Faulty Turmoil

Nov 25, 2009
Maybe the clues are hinting at places that Commander Shepard will visit/battle in?
Or maybe they are places important to the reapers for some reason? (No idea why)
Or maybe they are where an important bit of plot is revealed?
Or maybe they add up to an answer. Like, what do they all have in common?
Just a load of theories of course...

This may still not be ME3, and the supposed 'accident' was another red herring?

Azulito

Jan 1, 2009
It's all starting to seem too intentional.

I think they have something else planned and are trying to throw people off. They had no issue with announcing Mass Effect 3 in ME2, So why bother with secrecy now? Just doesn't add up.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
Irridium said:
Why wouldn't the Reapers just destroy Earth?

Hell humans have been giving them so much trouble, you'd think they would destroy them utterly. Plus, all those Reapers attack one planet? Kind of overkill but whatever.
Because [link src="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HumansAreSpecial"]humans are special.[/link]

So much for hoping for a new IP.

Azulito said:
It's all starting to seem too intentional.

I think they have something else planned and are trying to throw people off. They had no issue with announcing Mass Effect 3 in ME2, So why bother with secrecy now? Just doesn't add up.
If this is the first time you're questioning EA's marketing strategies, you have a long LONG way to catch up.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
TheTaco007 said:
Honestly, as much as I love the Mass Effect series, I hope this isn't it. I want something NEW to come out of Bioware. They have so much potential, and they do such fantastic games, but they waste all their talent on 1 or 2 series at a time.
I'm a little confused...how is that a waste?

They're working on Mass Effect 2 DLC, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic; isn't that enough?

OT: I really, really hope this proves to be true and Bioware finally gives us some info about ME3.