Mass Effect 3 Cannot Import Cloud Saves on Xbox 360

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect 3 Cannot Import Cloud Saves on Xbox 360

Xbox 360 owners who have their Mass Effect 2 saves "in the cloud" or transferred their saves through the cloud to a new system will be unable to import them into Mass Effect 3.

One of the great things about the Mass Effect series is the continuity across all three games in the trilogy, effectively turning into a single, massive RPG epic. Ashley or Alenko? Is Wrex still alive? How many of your crew made it out of the suicide mission? The ability to import saves from one game to the next ensures that all you've done, for good or ill, has an impact on the Big Finish.

But if you played Mass Effect 2 on the Xbox 360, and if you either kept your saved games "in the cloud" [or, as I like to put it, on the internet] or used the cloud to transfer your saves from an old console to a new one, then you've got a bit of a problem. For one reason or another, and the specifics on that are a bit unclear, Mass Effect 3 on the Xbox 360 cannot import saves that are either in, or have traveled through, the cloud.

"We are currently aware of an issue that may prevent Xbox 360 users from importing their completed Mass Effect 2 save game files into Mass Effect 3," EA said in a troubleshooting statement [https://help.ea.com/article/cannot-import-save-game-for-mass-effect-3-on-x360]. "While Mass Effect 3 supports cloud saving for new or successfully imported Mass Effect 2 saves, it does not support the importation of endgame saves directly from the cloud. Additionally, this can cause it to not recognize save files that have been transferred via cloud to a console other than the one where they originated."

The only solution to the problem is to move the save file from the cloud back to the console on which it was originally created, after which it can be imported into the game. Unfortunately, if that system is no longer available, you're pretty much screwed. Another option is to load a save from near the end of Mass Effect 2, finish the game from that point and create a new endgame save file, but EA says it "cannot guarantee that this will work with certainty."

If all else fails, there's always the option of replaying Mass Effect 2 in its entirety, or you can try your luck with BioWare Social Network [http://www.masseffect2saves.com/] have apparently had luck with it and if you've reached that point, it's not like there's much to lose, right?

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Okay... Just... WOW.... The whole crux is to be able to play through 3 games with one character, and then this?!

EA, you've done it again (with as much succes as Mr Magoo!)!!!

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
SURPRISE BUTTSEX!!

Well, no skin off my back but man that's gotta sting for people affected by this. I really like how they kept this quiet until just before release. Smooth move BioWare.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Considering the prevailance of RRoDs, it would have made perfect sense to not impliment (what I can only assume to be) such a hardware based DRM system.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
More evidence to support my distrust of the whole "digital only" shift in gaming. Seriously, what is wrong with brick and mortar stores giving you a physical copy of a game, with all information stored locally? Not everything has to be "futurey".

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Antitonic said:
More evidence to support my distrust of the whole "digital only" shift in gaming. Seriously, what is wrong with brick and mortar stores giving you a physical copy of a game, with all information stored locally? Not everything has to be "futurey".
Infinite copies of the game, cheaper, takes up let space physically, don't need to spread it across multiple discs in the case of the xbox 360, et cetera.

Oh, and quite a lot of people lost their pre-ordered collector's edition by using Game, the biggest brick and mortar in the UK. B&M fuck up just as much as digital.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Wolfram23 said:
SURPRISE BUTTSEX!!

Well, no skin off my back but man that's gotta sting for people affected by this. I really like how they kept this quiet until just before release. Smooth move BioWare.
Surprise Buttsecks?

This makes me happy I'm not on 360. Of course, I'm not getting the game anyways, but it does suck for 360 owners.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Richardplex said:
Infinite copies of the game, cheaper, takes up let space physically, don't need to spread it across multiple discs in the case of the xbox 360, et cetera.
Out of those, I'll concede cheaper. Infinite copies, for some reason, feels a little shady to me. The other two I feel are indicative of ownership. It's the difference between: "We decided you can't play your game anymore. All your data has been removed." and "We decided you can't play your game anymore. Online access is restricted, please return your disc at your earliest convenience."

EDIT:
Richardplex said:
Oh, and quite a lot of people lost their pre-ordered collector's edition by using Game, the biggest brick and mortar in the UK. B&M fuck up just as much as digital.
One could argue that this happened due to the digital shift. Not well, but they could argue it...

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
Dunno why people are surprised , cloud saving for the x-box was introduced way after mass effect1 and 2 were released. When the games were made (and the saves were implemented was way before there was an ability to use cloud saving) so it was never really thought of that the savefiles could be stored on cloud storage

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well, color me happy that I don't rely on cloud saves so much. Depending on other people to keep track of your own data? That's just a heap of trouble. You just have to look at the article on NASA to see that.
Kenjitsuka said:
Okay... Just... WOW.... The whole crux is to be able to play through 3 games with one character, and then this?!

EA, you've done it again (with as much succes as Mr Magoo!)!!!
It may not be so much on EA's shoulders as it could be Microsoft's. As fun as it is to blame everything on big bad EA, blaming the wrong things won't get it fixed.
Antitonic said:
Not everything has to be cloud-saved, unless there is somewhere that actually requires it. I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft touts the cloud service as an alternative to spending bucks on the hard drive your console doesn't come with.
Considering the size of standard hard drives growing in leaps and bounds, I don't plan on leaning on any cloud services for my PC. I don't know if there is a limit to what size of hard drive the 360 can handle, but I would bet dollars that there is one.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
From the few times ive used cloud saves recently on xbox i honestly dont see what the point is as ive had more problems with it than any other method for transferring saves, either the damned saves fail to upload next time i play or for some damn reason they become cloud only till i have to delete them from one of the consoles cloud files before they will sync on another console.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Bob_F_It said:
Considering the prevailance of RRoDs, it would have made perfect sense to not impliment (what I can only assume to be) such a hardware based DRM system.
I doubt EA much cares to be honest, this information isn't going to be out there for most users before they buy it (6 hours until launch here in Connecticut) and by the time people who would care get far enough to find out, it's probably going to be too late.

What I find the most darkly amusing about the entire thing is how the gaming industry is screaming the praises of digital technology and cloud saving to the heavens, and the we see companies like EA casually screwing over people who decided to use it.

Honestly I think we might have shooter junkies to blame for this more than anything. I'm not sure how one could pirate ME3 using a ME2 save game to be honest. What someone COULD do however is edit the ME2 save data in the cloud before importing it without the safeguards in ME2 protecting it (while it's purely internet data). Depending on what this influances, it might be a way of people being able to gain multiplayer unlocks or something. I've heard things about people playing shooters modifying cloud data for various purposes.

I blame the shooter junkies , because due to their demands Mass Effect 3 comes with a totally extraneous multiplayer mode for these guys to all deathmatch each other in and so on. That mandates concerns over game balance and record tracking that just didn't just exist with a dedicated single player experience.

Just a guess on my part.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
You guys think there'll be a PC mod out there that'll show a huge list of options from ME1 and 2, that you can select given that you don't want to play the two games again, and still have an OCD correct save file to import?

Cause that would be cooool

Trag Oul

Aug 4, 2010
I'm honestly surprised this issue doesn't come up more. Locked saves are total bs. Though in this case I'm sure they'll be an me3 version of gibbed soon but still not cool.

shado_temple

Oct 20, 2010
antipunt said:
You guys think there'll be a PC mod out there that'll show a huge list of options from ME1 and 2, that you can select given that you don't want to play the two games again, and still have an OCD correct save file to import?

Already exists. [http://www.masseffect2saves.com/]

OT: Yes, it sucks, but when Mass Effect was being made earlier this century, they didn't account for all these newfangled "clouds" hanging about.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
I pray to the Maker that my 360 does not RROD between now and my playing of ME3.

Because I will be a sad fucking puppy. Screw it, I transferring all my saves to a flash drive. This is too important to leave to chance/prayer.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
shado_temple said:
antipunt said:

Already exists. [http://www.masseffect2saves.com/]

OT: Yes, it sucks, but when Mass Effect was being made earlier this century, they didn't account for all these newfangled "clouds" hanging about.
Yes! Thank you good sir.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Dammit, my olde xbox RROD'd me, oh well that's one more thing on the massive pile of "do not buy ME3" reasons.