Mass Effect 3 Ending Conspiracy. If you love Mass Effect and hated the ending, READ THIS PLEASE

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I read a bunch of that thread and even when I was watching the ending, I thought the whole thing wreaked of hallucination/indoctrination before I even read up on this. However, as much as I'd love it to be true, I don't give Bioware that much credit. More likely, they just suck at life.

Anderson Priester

Mar 13, 2012
The conscience idea makes sense accept it not followed through in game play. Its still a a game. its HORRIBLE game play to expect the player to have this sort of deep rationale about game. You don't have to pick the renegade options that appear throughout the game, and if you wait, the paragon option pops up for a lot of those choices.

I am not saying the theory doesn't fit, its just that its HORRIBLE game mechanics to not even properly "Hint" at this level of the game, and then expect the player to make the correct choice at the end of the game based on how they wanted to play their Shepherd.

But honestly, I have a hard time buying this as all three choices are rather grim and terrible. The middle of the road choice could be considered the "best" choice as it allows both synthetic and Organic life to live. But there is also a problem here. If you think about it, the game NEVER really discusses the WHY of the reapers coming. The only hint you get of this is when you get to the Quarian Homeworld and have to decide what to do with the Geth.

This is why I think we may be over thinking this. We have had to make choices, sometime difficult choices, throughout the game. We are constantly reminded of the potential future impact of our choices. Choices that seemed right at the time, had impacts unforeseen in the future. The final choice is but the ultimate conclusion of that. What is greater then a Hero sacrificing himself to preserve life? The only other choices end in either the end of an entire form of life, or the potential to continue the cycle. The middle of the road choice frees all life to pursue their destiny without the return of the Reapers.

But Bioware screwed up. We didn't get a real boss fight (unless the madness of defending the missiles at the end count) nor does it seem the effort we put in to maximize the forces for the final battle seem to matter. It negates all that effort. I suspect that Bioware will be dropping a truly "Alternate" ending involving some sort of true boss battle, as well as a chance to defeat the reapers (although defeating the reapers would almost seem to ensure a Reaper return in the next cycle)and get a star wars ending.

You don't like your choices at the end? Well, how often are we faced with choices in which none of them are very good, but we have to pick one and live with it? Would it be very realistic if Sheaperd had an option for a Star Wars ending? After all that occurred? If the indoctrination theory is accurate, they did a PISS POOR job of truly making the gamer awar of this possibility.

Potato Dragon

Sep 3, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
Joccaren said:
a galaxy without the reapers is a galaxy were synthetics are destined to destroy organics.
Wait what?

A galaxy without synthetics killing all organics every 50000 years is doomed to be wiped out by synthetics?

OT: I like this I doubt it is correct but like it non the less.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Also, why is it that the Reapers are SO positive about synthetics killing organics, when for what seems to be the very first time in creation, synthetics and organics are working, if you chose the correct options, peacefully?

In my game, the Geth and the Quarians were working together to rebuild, EDI and Joker were basically going out (Not my place to question weird, robo-sapien love), and if anything, the only ones who were faced with real possible destruction were the reapers.

Wheatley

Feb 12, 2011
"The Reapers' goal was to find a way to stop the spread of Dark Energy which would eventually consume everything. That's why there was so much foreshadowing about Dark Energy in ME2.

The Reapers as a whole were 'nations' of people who had fused together in the most horrific way possible to help find a way to stop the spread of the Dark Energy. The real reason for the Human Reaper was supposed to be the Reapers saving throw because they had run out of time. Humanity in Mass Effect is supposedly unique because of it's genetic diversity and represented the universe's best chance at stopping Dark Energy's spread.

The original final choice was going to be "Kill the Reapers and put your faith in the races of the galaxy in finding another way to stop the spread with what little time is left" or "Sacrifice humanity, allowing them to be horrifically processed in hopes that the end result will justify the means."

^ Apparently that was found on the SomethingAwful forums as the Reaper's original motivation before Drew Karpyshan was transferred off the project.

Dec 14, 2009
If the goal of the Reapers was to prevent synthetics killing off organic life, then why didn't the Reapers just show up and tell them that?

"Hey, guys, don't be building any robots, ya' hear, best you be listening to us, being giant armageddon robots and all."

zarzelius

Mar 13, 2012
Anderson Priester said:
The conscience idea makes sense accept it not followed through in game play. Its still a a game. its HORRIBLE game play to expect the player to have this sort of deep rationale about game. You don't have to pick the renegade options that appear throughout the game, and if you wait, the paragon option pops up for a lot of those choices.

I am not saying the theory doesn't fit, its just that its HORRIBLE game mechanics to not even properly "Hint" at this level of the game, and then expect the player to make the correct choice at the end of the game based on how they wanted to play their Shepherd.

But honestly, I have a hard time buying this as all three choices are rather grim and terrible. The middle of the road choice could be considered the "best" choice as it allows both synthetic and Organic life to live. But there is also a problem here. If you think about it, the game NEVER really discusses the WHY of the reapers coming. The only hint you get of this is when you get to the Quarian Homeworld and have to decide what to do with the Geth.

This is why I think we may be over thinking this. We have had to make choices, sometime difficult choices, throughout the game. We are constantly reminded of the potential future impact of our choices. Choices that seemed right at the time, had impacts unforeseen in the future. The final choice is but the ultimate conclusion of that. What is greater then a Hero sacrificing himself to preserve life? The only other choices end in either the end of an entire form of life, or the potential to continue the cycle. The middle of the road choice frees all life to pursue their destiny without the return of the Reapers.

But Bioware screwed up. We didn't get a real boss fight (unless the madness of defending the missiles at the end count) nor does it seem the effort we put in to maximize the forces for the final battle seem to matter. It negates all that effort. I suspect that Bioware will be dropping a truly "Alternate" ending involving some sort of true boss battle, as well as a chance to defeat the reapers (although defeating the reapers would almost seem to ensure a Reaper return in the next cycle)and get a star wars ending.

You don't like your choices at the end? Well, how often are we faced with choices in which none of them are very good, but we have to pick one and live with it? Would it be very realistic if Sheaperd had an option for a Star Wars ending? After all that occurred? If the indoctrination theory is accurate, they did a PISS POOR job of truly making the gamer awar of this possibility.

I understand what you are saying, the hints arent there, or they are, we wont know until as u say, they give us an alternate ending, a follow up after shepard wakes up or something like that.
But i think the only thing i could object about your reply, is the necesity of a "hit" on being us shepard concience or not, or being poor mechanics.And i mean it in the way you make it sound like you are underestimating the game itself.
Remember, there are writers, career writers behind this and some other games.Tell me you didnt have to watch "Eternal sunshine of a spottless mind" twice to make sense of it?
Well then my point would be not underestimate what could possibly be(and yes, i know im putting my whishes here as well, bear with me on this one XD) a true epic ending for an epic saga.
Sadly we are used to get everything handed to us these days in terms of gaming experiences.RPGs arent what they used to be, shooters either(aim assist wtf? )so after playing bioware games for so long and enjoying them and their storylines so much, ill give them the benefit of the doubt.The burst of ideas that came out from this game ending, are not just product of our imagination imo, there are many signs for this.Im sure of it.
Thanx for keeping the thread on topic and for showing respect to everyones ideas, ive been flamed in more than one forum this week lol so i really apreatiate it :)

EDIT: excuse my english since is not my native language

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
TWHUNTER said:
For those of you who may not have come across this yet take two minutes to read this. It has been getting a ton of attention and would make an incredible ending that would display all of your hard choices and give Shepard back a voice. Best part is that BioWare might actually go for it since they wouldn't be required to rewrite EVERYTHING. Could it use a few adjustments, sure...but as a jumping off point....YES PLEASE!! It seriously can pull at the heart strings and make you FEEL something again, other than disappointment. Don't just take my word for it read it yourself....

http://arkis.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0#/d4sllwt

~Proud #retakemasseffect supporter
That is a hell of an ending. A few things would probably need to be tweaked and it plays into the whole "Everything will be alright in the end" vibe that annoys people sometimes but that is what you should get if you set it up perfectly.

Uszi

Feb 10, 2008
DarknessArisen said:
Wait what?

A galaxy without synthetics killing all organics every 50000 years is doomed to be wiped out by synthetics?

OT: I like this I doubt it is correct but like it non the less.
Wrong.

"A galaxy without synthetics killing all organics every 50000 years is doomed to be wiped out by synthetics?"

Bold text is your mistake. The reaper's don't kill "all organics."

They specifically time it so they come in right when technologically advanced organic life is tinkering with making AI. And then snuff them out to keep them from developing an AI that actually does want to extinguish all organic life.

And then they specifically leave all of the cave men and stuff alive.

The reapers are basically trying to prevent a future like the one in the Matrix, or the Terminator series. Or the shitty animated Robots movie:

Daystar Clarion said:
If the goal of the Reapers was to prevent synthetics killing off organic life, then why didn't the Reapers just show up and tell them that?

"Hey, guys, don't be building any robots, ya' hear, best you be listening to us, being giant armageddon robots and all."
They're just assholes and prefer to do things this way?

zarzelius

Mar 13, 2012
Hey hmmm i just realized something about the ending....
My 3 chars were shepard, Liara and James, i took them to the end fight right? well,right when we are running towards the huge light and get hit by the red ray of death XD
Ok now follow me on this one for a second.
I wake up and im alone.
Walk around some daying soldiers, shoot a few reapers, go a up and choose to destroy the reapers.
Now, i watch the ending and there comes the Normandy flaying away from the blast.
I see them crash land on some planet...and down comes Joker....Liara...and James out of the ship...werent they with me in London???????
So how the fuck did they get to the normandy?????

That is another thing that is blowing my mind, i cant get past that thought, i cant even go to sleep because of that small but weird scene.
Any thoughts about that?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
This is a tad off topic but I'm a little confused. I picked the destroy option but I don't remember seeing my Shepard live. Is it possible for him to die if you pick that option?

boag

Sep 13, 2010
JUMBO PALACE said:
This is a tad off topic but I'm a little confused. I picked the destroy option but I don't remember seeing my Shepard live. Is it possible for him to die if you pick that option?
Yes, if your EMS isnt high enough you dont get to see the BREATH scene.

Soeroah

Aug 24, 2011
I would probably be even more pissed off if it turns out to be a hallucination and the real endings are DLC. They could have had that happen in the game as the 'best ending' if they really though about it. Otherwise they really did plan out a whole story and decided to release the game unfinished while they tidied up the story.

A canonical ending as DLC is just...ridiculous. I'd rather have the endings as they are now than a fan-fiction style explanation tacked on for $12 in a few months to make it seem deep.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
And just like that, the whole "Final Hours" bullshit is throwing dirt all over the indoctrination theory.

Fuckin hell. Well guess that's the last Bioware product I ever buy ever.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
I love how desperate fans are to invalidate the entire point of the game series so they can ride off into the sunset with their space-waifus.
I romanced Tali, and brought her with me to the end. Her dying was a very powerful moment for me, and while I hated how I felt I thought it was really well done.

And then random Reaper King God Child.

Then you get to choose which color of explosion you want to eat the galaxy.

This is after a trilogy of games that is supposed to be build on player coice, and the idea that decisions have consequences. That is why I hate the ending, not because it's "sad" or "I don't get to make space babys with my space babe".

TL:DR Pie would have been nice, but I just wanted a sense-making ending that brought some ammount of closure.

On another note, it does make sense to me that "destroy" would kill the Geth, as Legion uploads the Reaper Code to make the Geth into people. The irony is ironic.

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Soeroah said:
I would probably be even more pissed off if it turns out to be a hallucination and the real endings are DLC. They could have had that happen in the game as the 'best ending' if they really though about it. Otherwise they really did plan out a whole story and decided to release the game unfinished while they tidied up the story.

A canonical ending as DLC is just...ridiculous. I'd rather have the endings as they are now than a fan-fiction style explanation tacked on for $12 in a few months to make it seem deep.
If the DLC is free and was planned from the begining, I could get behind it. This could even make the game stronger, if the Indoctrination theory is true.

mxfox408

Pee Eye Em Pee Daddy
Apr 4, 2010
You forgot to point out that in mass effect 2 arrival, that harbinger attempts to indoctrinate Shepard thru the reaper atifact, in fact Shepard was knock out from the process, just before knocked out harbinger says "struggle if you wish, your mind will be mine" also mass effect 3 begins not long after the arrival dlc, so it could be a strong possibility that the kid is in fact a vision being used by harbinger, which then makes it easier to control Shepards choices at the ending. Another thing not mentions was in mass effect 1 when being stopped on the elevator by saren you need to have your helmets on because of it being in open space, yet in the ending of mass effect 3 your outside and you can breathe. If bioware expands on this later then they are brilliant, if they leave the ending as is then they totally deserve the blow back they are receiving.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
mxfox408 said:
in fact Shepard was knock out from the process, just before knocked out harbinger says "struggle if you wish, your mind will be mine"
Harbinger also says "we will find another way".

Barring adoption of the indoctrination theory, "the other way" would appear to be shooting at Shepard with a big ass laser and then flying off without checking to see if she was dead.