Mass Effect 3 Ending Conspiracy. If you love Mass Effect and hated the ending, READ THIS PLEASE

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
I made another thread about this, but it was an awful jumbled mess that made me want to puke. Here is a nice neat version of what could very well be one of the greatest stunts ever pulled in video game history.

I started a reddit thread where I browsed a forum on the bioware fan site discussing the possibility that MAYBE... the endings were all a very intricate and insidious way for Mass Effect to go down in video gaming history as one of the greatest games ever made. If you are like me, depressed and disappointed at the ending we were provided, but KNOW in your hearts that Bioware is better than this, you may gain... HOPE. TO FIGHT ANOTHER DAY. Or something. I don't know.

1. Assuming this is a hallucination, and this is Shepard's final test to see if he's indoctrinated or not, the Reapers would need 3 choices that looked like he won, but only 1 in which his resolve stayed true and he blew the **** out of the reapers. If he takes that 1 choice, it proves they have failed in their attempt. If he takes the other two, they've learned how to twist his mind into thinking he's doing the right thing when he isn't.
A few more obvious points from that last bit

2. Unlimited ammo pistol
Armor is... burned off?
Squad mates just kind of ditch you
Strange, dreamlike sequence. Not exactly unheard of, but the fashion in which they did it
was something I haven't seen before.

3.If you notice while walking up the ramp to get to the control panel on the left side it says 1M1..on the right it says 1M1 but its backwards- the 1's are completely mirrored and backwards. Logic: in this dream: whats RIGHT is skewed, its wrong, its not REAL. I.e. The right thing in your mind to do is represented as "WRONG" in this ending (dream) --- You get a renegade option (RED) to shoot TIM to save anderson?? really? im sorry thats paragon.. but see.. its indoctrination-- its making you think its WRONG to shoot TIM to save anderson.

4.Also some twitter stuff...
@jessicamerizan Really, a hallucination/dream? Cause that was trite when Dallas did it, what 30 yrs ago now? #lamelameamelamelamelamelame Jessica Merizan ‏ @JTFehrenbacher you are free to have your opinion and I'm free to have mine ">JessicaMerizan Close @JTFehrenbacher you are free to have your opinion and I'm free to have mine :)

Jessica Merizan, PR for Bioware, explaining how she believes hallucination/dream is NOT triet. Unrelated? Maybe. BUT MAYBE NOT.

5.There's one thing here I haven't seen mentioned, and maybe I'm just reading too much into things, but think about the definition of the word "crucible." Other than something to melt metal in, a crucible is also a test or trial that is usually incredibly difficult.
Does anyone see where I'm going with this?

6. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Marine_Corps_Recruit_Training#The_Crucible

This is an exercise done by the marine corp IRL.

"On the final day of the Crucible, recruits are awoken and begin their final march (including "The Reaper" a forced march up a steeply inclined hill to the top of Edson's Ridge on the west coast)."

7. I just listened to Saren's speech on Virmire again and i'm seeing many similarities to what Saren says in comparison nto the theories behind the three choices. He was convinced they could co-exist, albiet as slaves, and as an end result, Sovereign gain a powerful avatar to carry out the Reapers will, only to be thwarted and destroyed by Shepard in the end.

Perhaps the same is happening to Shepard, but with Harbinger instead, since it is the only Reaper that's had several conversations with Shepard and has shown an unusual amount of hatred for one human. Maybe Harbinger believes that by absorbing what makes Shepard who he/she is, it will increase its own power to the point where nothing could defy it or the Reapers. The Reapers are being faced with their own extinction because a united galaxy is fighting them and has proven it can destroy Reapers with their combined forces. Take Shepard out of the picture or indoctrinate Shepard to dissolve the alliances and the Reapers would win quite easily.

8. You mean when the old man and his presumably grandson are talking at the end?

From what I understand, theory says that that still happens, and when the grandfather says 'one more story of Shep', that 'one more story' is what happens to Shepard after waking up from the hallucination/getting hit with the Reaper beam.

9.There's one thing I'm hinging all my hopes on in regards to this:

Throughout the entire series, it has been repeatedly made clear that the Reapers are a sentient species of machines out to achieve their own agenda, that being to harvest other species to bolster their own numbers In other words, survival. It has never been hinted at that they were pawns for some space god.

It is logical to suggest Harbinger would try and achieve that goal, survival, by indoctrinating Shephard and misleading him, just like TIM.

10. 1) As soon as Shepherd "wakes up" after being blasted by the Reaper laser, he's limping. If, as you're playing, you try to look/aim down at Shep's feet, you can't. The view angle get's blocked so that you can't see below his/her knees. If you watch the pace of the legs moving, though, it becomes really obvious that Shepherd is moving considerably faster than he is actually walking, almost floating as it were. At first when I noticed this in the my second play-though I just figured it was designed that way because making Shepherds speed the same as his walk would make the last moments in the game take 3 times longer (and it already seemed to take forever). But if we're rolling with the hallucination/indoctrination theory, then the fact that he's practically floating on his feet just adds more fuel to the fire...

2) When the "Catalyst" child starts listing the three options, he goes out of his way to make destruction sound like a terrible idea. "If you do this you'll kill all the Geth you've helped, not to mention that your kids will just make more robots farther down the road and nothing will really be solved." The kid also very pointedly avoids claiming that Shepard will die outright if he chooses that option, merely dropping a hint that Shep "might" die. Shepard also expresses doubts in the child's judgment by saying "Maybe." This is in direct contrast with the other two options (control and synthesis), where the kid goes out of his way to make them sound much more appealing, says clearly that either option will kill Shepard, and Shepard expresses zero doubts about either of the propositions. Then there's the fact that, all of the sudden, a character (Anderson) that would typically be associated with the paragon color (blue) is represented by the renegade color (red/orange), and the Illusive Man, the embodiment of pure renegade, is given the paragon color. Everything about the scene is slanted to make the most obvious choice (destroy the Reapers) the least appealing, and turns the rest of the game (and the previous 2 games) on it's head. Not 30 seconds ago back by the console TIM was obviously the clear-cut indoctrinated villain (shooting Anderson) , but now the god-kid tries to snooker Shep into believing TIM was a tragic hero who would do the right thing. On the other hand, Anderson, who was making a heroic stand with Shep against the villainous Illusive Man, gets relegated to the role of murdering maniac who would choose the "bad" option and blow the Reapers to kingdom come. If that's not a clear attempt to indoctrinate Shepard, what is?

The line Harbinger repeated over and over in ME2 was that the Reapers would be "your salvation through destruction." Well, the synthesis and control options are literally salvation for the galaxy through Shep's destruction, buying into a compliance mindset. The only option that leaves Shep breathing is to destroy the Reapers, which has been the point since ME1. All the evidence points to the last sequence being a battle for Shepards mind that is only won when Shep chooses the path that the god-kid tries to convince him not to take.

What we then see (when we choose the RIGHT option) is Shepard waking up from the nightmare after having beaten the Reapers' last ditch attempt to stop him within his own mind. The fact that the god-kid just looks like a ghost version of the exact kid that has been haunting Shep's dreams since the beginning of the game makes it seem all the more plausible. I, for one, will assume that since Shep wakes up, victory is assured: he beams to the Citadel, blows away TIM with a REAL gun, punches the button on the console, and watches the Crucible-powered Citadel wipe the Reapers off the galactic map just like it was supposed to do.

I got the warning mods, I apologize for that horribad thread I created yesterday. I was REALLY REALLY tired.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
Oh, and I will also link to the thread that has given me basically every single word I wrote in the above recap box. Dedicated fans on an 80 plus page thread exploring every possibility. This shall be my last bamp, I just really want this to be spread. It breaks my heart knowing there are people who were as invested in this game as I was that are probably giving up hope of Bioware ever being good again.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9727423/72

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't think it was a dream or hallucination or indoctrination. I think Bioware just royally fucked up. And that texture thing is just a mistake. It happens.

Kahldris71

Jun 1, 2011
That was really well thought out thanks, personally i would love for you to be entirely correct. Still unsure myself but your opinion does have merit. If it turns out to be true i would be extremely pleased the "ending" would make some sense, not that it fixes everything but it does help.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
...This just seems to be the whole Squall's Dead [http://squallsdead.com/] nonsense again. Fans too bewildered by confusion and disappointment to simply accept the fact that this was ultimately just lazy and terrible writing. They have to come up with stupid and convoluted theories to try and make sense of it all in some vain effort to heal the butthurt of it all.

I really doubt any of that theory is true, although i wouldn't put it past Bioware to take said theory and reaffirm it just to appease beleaguered fans.

Sometimes it's hard to accept things at face value for what they are. There is always a way to try and excuse and rationalize bad writing.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
-Seraph- said:
I really doubt any of that theory is true, although i wouldn't put it past Bioware to take said theory and reaffirm it just to appease beleaguered fans.
I would love nothing more than this theory to be true. Or for Bioware to make it true even if it wasn't originally intended. I am that desperate. But not desperate enough to turn off my critical thinking.

RewardMe

Dec 2, 2009
The art/graphics was just mirrored. Look at the picture again, one side is exactly the same as the other.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
You know what, I don't really care if this is 100% accurate or not, i'll believe it because it is my story, and I will metagame it that way if I want to.
Also, imma blow up the reapers, because "You Can't Trust the System! Man!"
Captcha:lo and behold, seems fitting

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
Sorry, but bioware's writers aren't clever enough to think of anything like this and desperate fans aren't going to save it.

They might see this and release it as DLC though.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
I love how desperate fans are to invalidate the entire point of the game series so they can ride off into the sunset with their space-waifus.

At first it was funny
Then it got pathetic
Now its funny again.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
I think we may all be reading too much into it... But yeah, since I've started looking into this interpretation of the ending, it really does make a weird kind of sense. Everything just seemed...off in that last sequence, and you're right, the colors for renegade and paragon got reversed.

Best case: This is correct and Bioware just rocked all of our collective shits. To be fair, they do love twists. Anyone remember what they pulled in KOTOR2? Bioware isn't above being devious.

Worst case: There is no correct interpretation, and the ending was intentionally left open and vague for just that reason. I think that's valid too. The ending to Mass Effect can pretty much mean whatever you want it to mean for YOUR Shepard.

Either way, its certainly interesting as hell to discuss.

Personally, I chose destruction. The reapers don't deserve mercy. Shepard has been saying that herself since the beginning. I don't trust the Catalyst either. If it controls the reapers, than it is likely just as malicious and untrustworthy as they are. Why appear as a child unless you want to earn pity or misplaced trust?

It really would be an amazingly evil plan. To try and convince your enemy to do the "right" thing, when the right thing is exactly what will destroy them.

Itsthefuzz

Apr 1, 2010
I choose to believe this over the crappy original ending.

Edit: I just really hate that the fact that the endings are literally 3 basic bullet points with the rest of information being the same.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Get out of here Zeel, or not-Zeel, whoever you are!
rcs619 said:
To be fair, they do love twists. Anyone remember what they pulled in KOTOR2? Bioware isn't above being devious.
Fuck me if I'm wrong but didn't Obsidian do all the writing for KoTOR2?

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
bioware didnt make KOTOR 2
Really? Well, shit. Didn't know they handed the sequel off to someone else.

Either way, this ME3 ending speculation is interesting as hell. Right or wrong, it is still a neat discussion.

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
Its good to hope but this is no longer the Bioware that we once knew that focused on good story telling. It is still there, its just that it is no longer their priority.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Ninedeus said:
Its good to hope but this is no longer the Bioware that we once knew that focused on good story telling. It is still there, its just that it is no longer their priority.
Funny because BG1 and BG2 and NWNW1 had plenty of shit writing also.

Bioware's writing hasn't changed at all, the only thing that has changed is the amount of nostalgia people have over the older games.

Lithan

Mar 11, 2012
"You get a renegade option (RED) to shoot TIM to save anderson?? really? im sorry thats paragon.. but see.. its indoctrination-- its making you think its WRONG to shoot TIM to save anderson." -Turtleboy

Sorry but that's just them being lazy. After he shoots anderson (if you dont click the renegade) he aims the gun at you, and renegade pops up AGAIN. Back when ya kick the hell out of kai leng... when he sneaks up on you, you get a renegade to get the jump on him and stab him with your omnitool. Don't take it? You duck his strike and the EXACT SAME SHOT FOR SHOT LINE FOR LINE scene plays.

I'd bet money that they were 25-50% done the cerberus HQ mission when someone said "Nope, not pushing it back anymore, get it out the door". And the players got f'ed in the A.