Mass Effect 3 Gives Steam a Miss at Launch

TitanAtlas

Oct 14, 2010
Once again EA screws up and blames on the other person. The restrictivness of Steam has never been an issue with any other company or developer, from patches, to DLC's, to product acctually beeing sold.

EA if you didn't want your game on Steam it's one thing, but calling a press release to make excuses and BLAME a company that has nothing to do with your shennanigans, it's a whole different level of stupidity.

Also screw Origin. I'm sorry but that engine is flawed, it brings nothing new to the table, and looks like a child tried to copy a masterpiece from Picasso. I like Mass Effect i DO, but sujecting myself to that crappy engine, that comes from a piece of crap corrupt and capitalist company that has screwd me and millions more over, just so that i can get 1 game? That will ossibly be incomplete and with more DLC then you can count off?

Thanks, but no thanks...

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
666Satsuki said:
I think your forgetting that gamers are full of shit and dont have the balls to back up any boycott. If the game comes out they will buy it regardless of which platform it is on even if they swore up and down on whatever forums that they never would.

That might be a valid point if EA wasnt also releasing it on nearly every single digital distribution platform but steam.

It wasnt actually being sold to third parties. What origin collects and what they do with that information has not changed at all. The only thing that did change was that they cleared up a lot of confusion about the TOS.
You try me then. I've upheld a boycott on Activision for nearly 3 years. Helps that all they make is pretty much shite in my opinion, but still. And I will not buy ME3 no matter what so long as Origin is attached.

Yeah, and Origin is required no matter which other digital service is used.

Same difference. EA takes stuff I don't want them to take. I won't let them do it.

Tarby

May 17, 2010
ME3 isn't a must buy, in fact despite me owning a seemingly vast number of EA games, most of their current and future offerings seem a bit "meh". The NFS franchise has been ground into the tarmac the BF franchise is going down the toilet where Dragon Age currently sits. Declaring ME3 includes multiplayer isn't a selling point for me, that added to Origin is more off putting.

It feels like every game needs multiplayer (or has it shoe horned in) just so Microsoft can continue to justify (charge) for xbox live.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
As I'm getting ME3 for the Xbox 360 I will be looking forward to it regardless, but oh dear EA, Y U fear money and success so? Shouldn't you have figured put by now that nobody is going to use your online police-state and the EVERYONE loves Steam? If you want the game to sell at all, you either need to make Origin not suck of give Valve a cut of your profits. Either way, just stop with this macho dick-waving contest that you're trying to have with Gabe Newell.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Im not surprised, yet I still feel disappointed by the direction this is taking, I guess I did the right thing, when I got ME on the Console, this will be my last EA game in a long long time.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Priestly also made it clear that Origin would be necessary to play the game on the PC, regardless of where the copy of the game had been bought. "Mass Effect 3 will require a one time, single authorization for the single player game. There is no limit to the number of installs. Playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer will require a constant connection ... Origin is required for the PC versions of Mass Effect 3, both physical and digital."
...I was waiting for this shoe to drop.

*sigh*

Profanity follows.

FUCK! Goat-fucking sons-of-bitches! Dammit! Dammit dammit dammit!

So, that's pretty much it. I'm not going to get to play Mass Effect 3. Because I am not letting EA push this bullshit on me. I am not going to be part of ridiculously customer-hostile conditions becoming the new status quo.

EA, you sorry assholes, all I wanted was to be able to pay you money to play a good game without you getting in the way. I neither had, nor have, any intention of pirating your games, nor was I ever likely to sue you so long as your games fulfilled the basic functions of playing with a reasonable level of stability and not destroying my computer.

But that wasn't enough for you? You had to have the right to dredge my computer for information? To have an iron-clad agreement that I wouldn't sue, no matter how egregiously you failed to live up to your part of the exchange? To monitor my online behavior, to lock me out of games I purchased if I don't conform to your ill-defined standards of propriety?

Remember when you were "Electronic Arts"? When you talked about game designers as artists fulfilling the potential of personal computing? Have you so completely turned your back on that era that you think it's the role of "artists" to tell their audience what they should like and what they should accept and what they should tolerate?

I was your customer then, back in the cardboard-sleeve days, guys. Back in the days of Wasteland and Archon and Ultimate Wizard.

But barring a complete reversal of your current course of behavior, I am never going to be your customer again. The "association of electronic artists" has become a corporate juggernaut that eats once-great independent studios like Westwood and Bioware and makes something less than the sum of its parts.

Goodbye, EA. Don't call me.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
funny how everyone cries about it. but when steam took a way larger bite out of our rights a few years back, no such outrage was had. and now it has a bazillion mindles fansheep who will defend it to the death.

i for one would be glad to see valves monopoly on digital distribution broken. maybe that will force them to behave slightly less dickish. maybe.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Mass Effect 3 wasn't on my list of 'to be played' anyway but this has only shoved it a little further down the line, I happen to like my steam account fellas and this just stinks of 'whine'.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
itchcrotch said:
yeah... since this is EA we're talking about, all i'm hearing is "waaah! valve won't let us spy on our customers!"
Ditto. 'wont let us connect with our customers' = 'won't let us install spyware'

Giving ME3 a miss. If you truly care about the how the games industry is being choked by EA, you will too.

snow

Jan 14, 2010
Sorry EA, No steam, no money from me! The one time I actually consider buying an EA game and you go and pull this...

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011
"Playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer will require a constant connection."

Wait, wha? You need a constant connection to play online? What is this witchcraft?

Mind = Blown

[unrelated note] I think that, instead of buying this game, I'll stab myself repeatedly in the brain with a coat hanger while simultaneously shoving a broken toothbrush in my eyes. It should be an accurate simulation of the feelings one goes through when dealing with Origin.

Killimus2188

Nov 25, 2009
I will still get this on PC, but I will have to turn to torrent sites for some cracked protection to avoid using Origin. Played ME1 and 2 on PC so it's not worth buying a copy for 360.

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Here's a golden opportunity for "ethical pirates" if they exist. We all know that as soon as ME3 comes out (if not before) there will be a cracked version available for pirates on the internet that does not require Origin. If you acquire that and play it, also buy a copy from EA but don't install it (and by extension Origin). It will make EA look silly, claiming that they have to have DRM schemes (and face it, that's a large part of what Origin is) in order to avoid losing money to piracy if they have sales of ME3 that far outstrip the number of Origin users. Obviously, if that turns out to be the case, there's more to piracy than just wanting something for nothing.

On the other hand, if this fails and the number of Origin installs equals legitimate sales, then you know that most pirates are just cheap "I want something for nothing and I don't care who I hurt" jerks.

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Yureina said:
getoffmycloud said:
Plumerou said:
i heard that the restrictions they talk about is buying DLC from within the game to avoid paying to Valve a little percentage, but im not sure thats the case, so can someone please confirm this? i remember reading it somewhere, but cant really remember where
Yeah that is pretty much it which to be fair I don't see anything wrong with why should Valve take a cut of something they had nothing to do with making
Probably because there's no hassle installing DLC on Steam? You just buy it and boom, it starts downloading into your main game. Compare that to the Bioware Store... thing where I had to jump through all these hoops before I could finally be allowed to play ME2 DLC's, and it is no contest.

Steam makes DLC's extremely convenient to deal with. EA does not.
Well admittedly I have never tried downloading anything from Origin it might be a pain for all I know but it still does come down to the fact that Valve always take money for stuff they have nothing to do with. This really annoys me because I buy everything at Retail because I'm not interested in digital downloads but despite this I own 5 games Valve didn't make that still require steam for no reason and that really annoys me cause I hate being attached to some service for no reason.

Odin311

Mar 11, 2010
Well isn't that a *****....

/gets on soap box

I am a resilient fella. I have stuck to my refusal of purchasing Activison products due to their business practices. Truth be told they have made it pretty easy. You have been added to the list.

Originally I just refused to use Origin. The problem with this is you still got my money when I bought a console game, and it probably just encouraged you to concentrate more on the console versions of games.

I guess that I just was postponing the inevitable. I can't support you as a company anymore. You blame me when things go wrong. You accuse me of pirating your games. You put inexcusable DRM into your games. You require me to input a code to access my game. You release multiple retail versions of the same thing with different content on each. You continue to fleece me for DLC that is an obvious part of the main game.

As I get older, my time becomes more valuable. And I refuse to waste any more of my time with you. Good luck with the continuation of fucking over your clients. As you keep going, more and more people will refuse to put up with your shit.

/gets off soap box and goes to get a beer.