Mass Effect 3 Gives Steam a Miss at Launch

Levethian

Nov 22, 2009
"restrict our ability to connect directly with our consumers."

Connect directly with me and I'll bleed on you, EA.
Stay. Away.

Going to skip it.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
all this whining about origin and ea is starting to piss me off its pointless and a waste of time either play them or go else where.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Into the mind of 2fish we go

Oh an EA game -1 point due to history of dick moves
Have to sign up for a new service to play/ have to have my 360 always online to play -1 point lazy
ME3 looks like 2 combat wise which didn't make my characters fun to play. -1 point (point pending decision upon release)
Bioware story +1 point if good 0 if ok
+1
= -2

OK so no ME3 on PC how about 360?
-huge updates to do on 360 if I go online -1 lazy part 2/attack of the ISP
Carry over the issues that matter -2
-3 overall (the +1 for story is lost when I remember I have to untangle a huge cord to connect my internet to my 360). Both stories take the same amount of time anyway.
words words words words words its like where's waldo but not

Pity but ME3 looks like a maybe when it is cheap game.

Ok you may leave my mind now *poof*. The transition between my mind and the world may cause nausea, temporary blindness of the eyes, or a god complex.

Kathinka said:
funny how everyone cries about it. but when steam took a way larger bite out of our rights a few years back, no such outrage was had. and now it has a bazillion mindles fansheep who will defend it to the death.

i for one would be glad to see valves monopoly on digital distribution broken. maybe that will force them to behave slightly less dickish. maybe.
It would be nice for them to have real competition yes impulse d2d can't really compete on their own. But EA has a history of being a major dick in the minds of some gamers and that is not a good starting point.

I am thinking the steam competitor won't come from a major publisher as that would bring conflicts. I see something that is like d2d getting a new feature and thus moving in to challenge steam. Maybe like an onlive and d2d partnership thing.

I mean I know I am biased due to the fact that Steam customer service has helped me before and quickly where as EA has not been helpful and they have had more errors and bad choices that have directly hit me.

Hell even Impulse was easier to work with than EA and they had an update which fucked up all my Sins games.

nin_ninja

Nov 12, 2009
Evilsanta said:
Required to have Origin? Screw that.

Sorry Bioware, You just lost a sale.
That's just it. It's not Bioware doing all this shit, it's EA! EA bought Bioware and now they enforce their opinions on Bioware.

baconfist

Sep 8, 2009
Hitchmeister said:
Here's a golden opportunity for "ethical pirates" if they exist. We all know that as soon as ME3 comes out (if not before) there will be a cracked version available for pirates on the internet that does not require Origin. If you acquire that and play it, also buy a copy from EA but don't install it (and by extension Origin). It will make EA look silly, claiming that they have to have DRM schemes (and face it, that's a large part of what Origin is) in order to avoid losing money to piracy if they have sales of ME3 that far outstrip the number of Origin users. Obviously, if that turns out to be the case, there's more to piracy than just wanting something for nothing.

On the other hand, if this fails and the number of Origin installs equals legitimate sales, then you know that most pirates are just cheap "I want something for nothing and I don't care who I hurt" jerks.
I was thinking about doing this myself but the thing is I want it on steam I don't want an origin copy so I will probably just add bioware to my growing list of developers I don't do business with anymore.
The reason I like Steam was that it consolidated all my games into one place hell I've even bought games on steam that I already own just so I wouldn't have to save cd keys and discs. Plus I feel safe with good ol Gabe protecting me from the asshats at EA.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
bioware is still bioware ea is the publisher so can with stop with the misplaced hostility. origin is a fine program maybe not as good as steam is but its still new so stop the bs and move on. note to god make the end of the world happen already humanity is too far gone

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Guys, just wait for the "no Origin" crack to come out. They have it for BF3 already, so I'm sure they can do it for any of the other games out there that "require" Origin.

However, by buying the game, EA will think you're OK with Origin, and thereby allowing them to continue this crap. So, there's the dilemma.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
maddog015 said:
Guys, just wait for the "no Origin" crack to come out. They have it for BF3 already, so I'm sure they can do it for any of the other games out there that "require" Origin.

However, by buying the game, EA will think you're OK with Origin, and thereby allowing them to continue this crap. So, there's the dilemma.
finishes the series/support bioware/ea or don't buy and never finish the series hmm doesn't seem like its that hard i go with the first one since its the only reason that makes any sense at all

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
I just cancelled my PC pre-order because of this. Gonna get it for my PS3 now since EA's going to act like a bunch of dicks and try and strong arm me into using their terrible Origin service.

Seriously EA, you need to understand that Origin sucks, and your constant attempts to strong arm people into the service only hurts you in the end.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
moment like these make me glad i don't give a shit about where i get my games from as long as there fun to me

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
Wait. By stating:

"Steam has adopted a set of restrictive terms of service which limit how developers interact with customers to deliver patches and other downloadable content."

Do they mean that Valve won't let them essentially spy on folks?

I remember that being a problem earlier in the life of Origin, and haven't cared enough to check on the situation since.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Eri said:
I'm buying it on consoles due to this. Also, I hope their PC sales bomb fucking miserably and then they decide to change it because of that, and then no one still buys it just to spite them. That would make my day.
If their PC sales bomb they'll probably blame pirates, and cause Origin to short-circuit your motherboard the moment you start a torrent client.

At least, that's what I'd do were I an evil corporate executive.

brainslurper

Aug 18, 2009
anthony87 said:
Jellly said:
"Playing Mass Effect 3 multiplayer will require a constant connection."

Well there's plenty of other games to play anyway, looks like ME3 can wait.
But...if the multiplayer is online wouldn't you NEED a constant connection to...y'know, stay connected?
But the single player is online too. You had to launch battlefield 3's single player through a browser.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
origin and online stuff is here to stay so leave if you don't like it since that's really the only course left at this point

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010
Well looks like I am not getting ME3. Origin is not touching my PC.

If I need a fix I will simply stick to Skyrim.... Or get it on my console...

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
EA reminds me of a really scummy politician trying to drag their opponents name through the muck and attempting to rig the election.

Stuff like this makes me want to pirate the game rather than pay for it, simply as a fuck you to that company.

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
It's nice how they show their customers huge middle finger and then whine about piracy.

Also dare mention restrictions on steam and then force Origin on people. What this means is that I won't be playing Mass Effect 3. Most likely not other Bioware games anymore either since Origins seems to be the name of the game now.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
Metalrocks said:
Marik Bentusi said:
I wonder if they are going to blame the sale loss resulting from this on "PC gaming dying".

Then again, just because EA is a terrible publisher on several levels, doesn't mean they're UbiSoft.
lol. i rather give ubisoft my money then ?A. at least ubis DRM is working fine and i play the AC games without any hassle. they have fixed the constant online crap to offline.
Think beyond your own issues for just a moment there.

There's tons of people having problem with UbiSoft's DRM, "From Dust" was a massacre and UbiSoft is blaming all of this on "PC GAMING IS DEEEAAAD", which is also the reason why I Am Alive's PC version was shelved and the Assassin's Creed games are, control-wise, terrible console ports.

Beyond that, it's a ***** to work for UbiSoft as a developer. I haven't heard specifics from the actual working climate, but it's quite obvious from an outside perspective that UbiSoft is milking cows until can be beaten as dead horses. Assassin's Creed's storyline was needlessly prolonged because of this/because AC2 was a great success, and you can feel how the devs are trying to teach old Ezio new tricks and make the sequel in the same time period somewhat interesting by bloating it with extra stuff - the best they can do really. This bloating has killed the entire Rayman franchise even, and of course people won't pay full price for the latest game that only looks better than a good flash game.

UbiSoft treats their franchises like shit, their devs like tools and their customers like yapping wallets. I see no redeemable qualities here. I only feel pity for the developers, especially those doing the conceptart and animations.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Waait. Does this mean you won't be able to carry over your characters from the previous games? Because that would be akin to the franchise shooting itself in the foot.