Mass Effect 3...I think that people are overreacting

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Shavon513 said:
Most Bioware fans' number one favortie thing to do: Complain.
That applies to every neck-bearded manchild who lets games take over his existence, though.

The way I see it, Bioware know what they're doing. People bitched about Mass Effect 2 too, yet it sold well. They're a company out to make money, not please weird lumpy people who complain about the game on message boards because it has too much emphasis on unattainable things like sex.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
The amount of vitriol ME3 receives even before it's even out is the direct result of the shock Dragon Age 2 left people with. The hype surrounding that game was immense as was the amount of trust people put into Bioware to deliver.

When they failed, and failed hard, Optimism was replaced with cynicism, because who is better at being cynical then the Internet?

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
mmm, i reserve the right to voice three concerns about the game. I don't doubt it's going to be very good, but there's a few issues that won't quite go away...

1. Origin. So help me if I don't want to play the game through EA's imposed Steam competitor, but that's not a problem with Bioware. I think this is just part of where the complaints around ME3 stem from, I know it is for me at least after how annoying my first time with Origin actually was.

2. Freddie Prinz Jr, and Vega. Both FPJ and the character he's voicing annoy me already, especially since Bioware has labeled Vega the stand in for new players. Just reading about his back story and all other details connected to him make him out to be just...unlikeable, especially given how many potentially good characters he replaces.

3. The shadow of Dragon Age II. Looking over the last game I'll admit I got worried from some of the footage I saw. Is this going even more linear action over space opera?

All that said, it took me a while to focus in on my nerd rage after glancing through the photos, and I'm genuinely attached to my white red-haired and scarred Shepherd, and if it comes to Steam I'm almost certain to get it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
erttheking said:
Zhukov said:
[Deal with it.]
Yeah I forgot, this is the escapist, actually liking things that are mainstream and trying to come up with reasons as to why people are freaking out over nothing paints you a fanboy on this site. I should be mindlessly bashing things and saying that Valve is the only game developer that hasn't sold their soul for cash. Silly me. I forgot.
Uh huh. You're still coming across as decidedly sore.

Also, funny you should mention "coming up with reasons as to why people are freaking out over nothing." Another way to phrase that would be, "making presumptuous claims about other people's motives and reasoning in an attempt to invalidate their concerns and complaints".

I shall demonstrate my point by doing the same thing to you now.

You are posting this stuff because encountering large and concentrated numbers people with opposed expectations and opinions causes you to doubt your own expectations and opinions. This makes you uncomfortable, so you seek to dismiss these opposing views with statements like, "mindlessly bashing", "hating it because it's mainstream", "watching too much ZP" and so on.

Hey, if it's any consolation, just look at the poll in this little thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.339834-Poll-Are-you-still-getting-Mass-Effect-3?].

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
erttheking said:
Zhukov said:
[Deal with it.]
Yeah I forgot, this is the escapist, actually liking things that are mainstream and trying to come up with reasons as to why people are freaking out over nothing paints you a fanboy on this site. I should be mindlessly bashing things and saying that Valve is the only game developer that hasn't sold their soul for cash. Silly me. I forgot.
Uh huh. You're still coming across as decidedly sore.

Also, funny you should mention "coming up with reasons as to why people are freaking out over nothing." Another way to phrase that would be, "making presumptuous claims about other people's motives and reasoning in an attempt to invalidate their concerns and complaints".

I shall demonstrate my point by doing the same thing to you now.

You are posting this stuff because encountering large and concentrated numbers people with opposed expectations and opinions causes you to doubt your own expectations and opinions. This makes you uncomfortable, so you seek to dismiss these opposing views with statements like, "mindlessly bashing", "hating it because it's mainstream", "watching too much ZP" and so on.

Hey, if it's any consolation, just look at the poll in this little thread [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.339834-Poll-Are-you-still-getting-Mass-Effect-3?].
Oh well pardon me for taking the other side in an argument, and I may come off as a bit sore, fair enough, but are you saying the people screeching up and down the forums about how ME3 is going to be godawful aren't? True the wording "freaking out over nothing" may have been a poor play on words on my part, but I guess I'm just in a bad mood after being labeled a fanboy is all. I apologize. Frankly I thought that there were so many anti Bioware threads that I thought a pro Bioware thread would be a nice change of scenery.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
erttheking said:
Oh well pardon me for taking the other side in an argument, and I may come off as a bit sore, fair enough, but are you saying the people screeching up and down the forums about how ME3 is going to be godawful aren't? True the wording "freaking out over nothing" may have been a poor play on words on my part, but I guess I'm just in a bad mood after being labeled a fanboy is all. I apologize. Frankly I thought that there were so many anti Bioware threads that I thought a pro Bioware thread would be a nice change of scenery.
You don't have to apologize. I'm not trying to attack you here, nor do I oppose you. (Personally, I'm totally stoked for ME3. Collectors edition pre-ordered and everything.) I understand the urge to try and counter-balance opposing views. I am frequently tempted to do the same thing myself.

Also, yes, some of the people you refer to also come across as... well, not "sore" so much as having some sort of obsessive vendetta against other people's fun. (You may have noticed a few people doing the round of every ME-related thread posting poorly-marked spoilers with malicious intent.) However, it is a mistake to dismiss all criticism and complaints as falling under that category.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
erttheking said:
You don't have to apologize. I'm not trying to attack you here, nor do I oppose you. (Personally, I'm totally stoked for ME3. Collectors edition pre-ordered and everything.) I understand the urge to try and counter-balance opposing views. I am frequently tempted to do the same thing myself.

Also, yes, some of the people you refer to also come across as... well, not "sore" so much as having some sort of obsessive vendetta against other people's fun. (You may have noticed a few people doing the round of every ME-related thread posting poorly-marked spoilers with malicious intent.) However, it is a mistake to dismiss all criticism and complaints as falling under that category.
Well I can see where you're coming from there, I just find it a little hard to believe that people are coming up with deal breaking complaints for a game that isn't going to come out for another month...well there's origin but as a 360 guy I have no idea what that's about nor do I pretend to. The way I see it the only real complaints are the ones directed at the marketing and all complaints about the actually game itself don't really mean anything until the 14th. Well I suppose there are those spoilers but I like to remind myself that those spoilers are out of date and that Bioware is teaching the game based on feedback...still try to avoid them like the Black Death, though my success is limited, I wish to Christ that people would stop posting them.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
dimensional said:
There is no point in condemning or supporting a game that is not out yet as it is all speculation going off snippets of information. If its anything like the last 2 it will be good just not great but as long as they keep out rubbish mako exploration/ planet scanning elements I will be happy.

Think this time I may wait and get the edition with all the DLC included when its reduced in price a year later or so im in no hurry.
A sensible poster, what are you doing here?

we dont kindly to rational thinking around these parts.

You either love skub or you hate it, you cant be this wait see kinda fellow, that just makes you neutral, and we all know that neutrals are the worst scum of the universe

getoffmycloud

Jun 13, 2011
Crazedc00k said:
Simply put, Bioware has lost the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being preemptively good.
But that shouldn't mean that there games are instantly bad

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Fuck yes. Finally someone sees the light. What's really pissing me off is that BioWare has put out exactly one game that might be universally considered "bad": DA2, and I think the reaction to even that game was blown out of proportion. Still, even though BioWare's record is almost perfectly clean, everyone thinks they're the devil. All the dumb things BioWare has supposedly been saying? That's EA, who does most of the advertising. BioWare's fanservice? That's been going on for pretty long. Some of the Baldur's Gate protraits were quite revealing. BioWare is milking the Mass Effect franchise? IT WAS MEANT AS A TRILOGY FROM THE BEGGINING. Do you know what a trilogy is? A SERIES WITH 3 PARTS. (Sorry. That particular complaint just makes me want to go kick a puppy)

What really annoys me is just HOW OFTEN the haters come up. OK, I got it, you dislike BioWare and won't buy ME3. Cool. I don't want to hear it 5000 times. (I also think most people are just "going with it". It's ME3 hate is "cool", just like CoD hate is "cool". Of course I'm in that second camp, but still...)

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Shavon513 said:
Most Bioware fans' number one favortie thing to do: Complain.
Correction: Most fans of pretty much anything's number one thing to do is complain. ¬_¬
Welcome to the Internet, where people complain about everything, including about other people's complains.

And seriously, its not like any of us has played Mass Effect 3. The bare minimum is to give them the benefit of the doubt; and considering the previous two games in the series, I am giving them far more than that...

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
Oh man...I thought I was the only who didn't give a crap. Seriously, I agree with you. It's like the Israelites in the desert if you'll forgive my Judeo-Christian analogy. Bioware has not led Mass Effect astray yet, they have done wonderful things, made wonderful games, but the people still doubt and complain. As far as merchandise go, that's EA's thing I'm willing to bet, so I don't blame Bioware for that. I have never understood some of the complaints people are making.

1) New characters being questioned, despite the fact Bioware creates some of the best characters in all of gaming

2) Question voice actors, since again, Bioware tend to bring great voice actors (ok maybe not Chobot but still). I guess if they don't get Nolan North, VA's a dud.

3) A multiplayer mode, despite the fact that it's completely optional, can only positively impact your SP game, and uses completely different characters so to only be tangentially related

4) DLC, despite the fact again that it's completely optional, can only positively impact your game (or not at all), and doesn't affect the main story (as long as it stays that way, no complaints from me)

So as I was saying, I am glad someone is like me and is not that worried about this game just stinking it up.

I do have 1 minor disagreement with you though

erttheking said:
I think that people have watched too much Zero Punctuation, and now automatically assume that if there is a number in something's name, it will suck
While Yahtzee is against sequels, he isn't against Bioware. In fact, he views them very favorably for their good story-writing. He is also not a pre-hype crazy man either, in my opinion. He mostly does it to piss off fanboys. My theory on Yahtzee's opinion will be this: good story, won't play multiplayer (duh), an overall good game with some Yahtzee-style nitpicks.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Rangerboy87 said:
Oh man...I thought I was the only who didn't give a crap. Seriously, I agree with you. It's like the Israelites in the desert if you'll forgive my Judeo-Christian analogy. Bioware has not led Mass Effect astray yet, they have done wonderful things, made wonderful games, but the people still doubt and complain. As far as merchandise go, that's EA's thing I'm willing to bet, so I don't blame Bioware for that. I have never understood some of the complaints people are making.

1) New characters being questioned, despite the fact Bioware creates some of the best characters in all of gaming

2) Question voice actors, since again, Bioware tend to bring great voice actors (ok maybe not Chobot but still). I guess if they don't get Nolan North, VA's a dud.

3) A multiplayer mode, despite the fact that it's completely optional, can only positively impact your SP game, and uses completely different characters so to only be tangentially related

4) DLC, despite the fact again that it's completely optional, can only positively impact your game (or not at all), and doesn't affect the main story (as long as it stays that way, no complaints from me)

So as I was saying, I am glad someone is like me and is not that worried about this game just stinking it up.

erttheking said:
I think that people have watched too much Zero Punctuation, and now automatically assume that if there is a number in something's name, it will suck
While Yahtzee is against sequels, he isn't against Bioware. In fact, he views them very favorably for their good story-writing. He is also not a pre-hype crazy man either, in my opinion. He mostly does it to piss off fanboys. My theory on Yahtzee's opinion will be this: good story, won't play multiplayer (duh), an overall good game with some Yahtzee-style nitpicks.
I think you misinterpreted the point of that statement. People tend to parrot Yahtzee's views without really understanding what they mean, and while he has offhandedly said that sequels are normally bad, his raving fanboys will automatically assume that they are ALL bad, even though he's been kinder to ME2 than most sequels on account of it actually changing things up.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
erttheking said:
Rangerboy87 said:

erttheking said:
I think you misinterpreted the point of that statement. People tend to parrot Yahtzee's views without really understanding what they mean, and while he has offhandedly said that sequels are normally bad, his raving fanboys will automatically assume that they are ALL bad, even though he's been kinder to ME2 than most sequels on account of it actually changing things up.
You mean people have to read between the lines and not take the Videos as Face Value of Yathzee's opinions?

Please take your heathen ways back into the abyss of the abhorrent horrors of reason and tolerance.

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Of course people will bash Bioware and Me3. Its the skyrim syndrome(I'll call it that). Good game, very hyped, will probably have a fair bit of flaws = omfg-nerdrage over details on just about every game-related forum.

I think Me3 will kick ass, and I find the details that people complain about, as well as their arguments as to why they complain about Bioware and the ME series in general, to be absolute rubbish.

They're turning into a twisted internet-represenetation of the Fox-news broadcast on ME1: Reporting on "issues" that arent really there while not having the foggiest clue what they're talking about.

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
erttheking said:
Rangerboy87 said:

erttheking said:
I apologize for the misinterpretation. I understand the complaint though. I am a big fan of Yahtzee, but I also understand why he says what he does. I agree that a lot of sequels are unnecessary, cliff-hanger endings are dumb, and remakes are useless outside of sports games (NBA Jam with modern players was AWESOME!!). And I agree most people will either blindly just go with what he says or condemn it entirely. It is also good to see someone who understands how to interpret Yahtzee correctly.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Tomeran said:
Of course people will bash Bioware and Me3. Its the skyrim syndrome(I'll call it that). Good game, very hyped, will probably have a fair bit of flaws = omfg-nerdrage over details on just about every game-related forum.

I think Me3 will kick ass, and I find the details that people complain about, as well as their arguments as to why they complain about Bioware and the ME series in general, to be absolute rubbish.

They're turning into a twisted internet-represenetation of the Fox-news broadcast on ME1: Reporting on "issues" that arent really there while not having the foggiest clue what they're talking about.
HEY HEY HEY HEY! I CAME UP WITH THAT NAME!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.336721-Ive-noticed-something-about-popular-mainstream-media

I agree though.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
Well, as the OP observed, my complaints have no place in this discussion. I don't give 2 shits about ME3 for one simple reason: Origin. Beginning and end of story, right there.