Mass Effect 3 is now under $30 is it really that bad of a game?

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I haven't played it myself but I have a friend who's told me that aside from the ending it's really pretty good. If you already know about the ending and it seems like something you'd like to play anyway, I say get it. What could it hurt?

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Darknacht said:
I just noticed that Amazon is selling Mass Effect 3 for $29.99
I believe (based on reports elsewhere on this site) that it's on sale for today only. So snap it up while you can!

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Nonononononono.

Let's be fair here. Bioware did ALMOST everything right with this game.

Excellent writing as usual (up until the ending).

Felt like it'd be a satisfying conclusion (up until the VERY end).

Gameplay was greatly improved with more maneuverability, and a significant boost in power to your powers/abilities.

More customization in playstyle with branching power level-ups, the power-affecting encumbrance system, and the return of weapon mods.

New, awesome powers.

Wide variety of enemies, environments, encounters.

One of the best campaigns I've seem with some of the best moments (up until that freaking ENDNING).

All that and a competent multiplayer mode too.

I HIGHLY recommend this game. In my opinion, the game deserves every cent it makes. It's just that I also believe Bioware deserves every (non hateful) complaint they get about the ending. I'd never return it though, the ride was just too good, despite the destination, and I really like the multiplayer too.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
MPerce said:
We're reading way too much into this, guys. Most games' prices drop nowadays really quickly online. Skyrim did the same thing.
And it's only that price for today: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116922-Mass-Effect-3-Drops-to-29-99

Will almost certainly go back up tomorrow.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
I think that's OK considering the hype is gone. It's also Bioware trying to not lose many fans through this and the DLC that will expand the ending.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
The Human Torch said:
Get it, you won't regret spending 30 bucks on hours of good entertainment. Just take the ending with a truckload of salt.
Yeah. Considering the bad part of the ending is literally like 5 or 10 minutes long, just watch it for the lolz after completing the game, and make up your own headcanon ending. It's really for the best, and anything you come up with will be a better way to end it.

Just know that while outrageous, the ending does NOT ruin the game. The game itself is extraordinary.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
So basically Amazon decides to be nice(in order to gain good will) and let people return their copies of Mass Effect 3. Now it has a bunch of copies of ME3 that it owns(not bioware) and decides to offload these by lowering the price in order to make back as much money as possible. And this is startling how exactly? The price is still high on EAs origin store, it's just a 3rd party trying to offload copies of the game...

mezorin

Jan 9, 2007
If you play the game with a bit of detachment, the fighting is fun, the characters are likeable, and multiplayer is a blast. Just understand the ending's crappy. No, it won't ruin your life like a lot of haters are going on about, its just crappy. And its getting patched at some point anyways.

The game is definitely worth 30 dollar buy though, so I would recommend it. If for anything else, its a good FPS/RPG game that you can make things blow up in.

jensenthejman

Aug 22, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
It's a pretty mediocre game when you judge it as the whole product. At times it's incredible (Tuchanka, Rannoch, deaths of some characters) but Bioware dropped things that made Mass Effect so likeable in order to cater to a wider audience. They basically forgot about the fans who made that game so popular in order to attract Call of Duty players.

Auto-dialogue, catering to multiplayer crowd, terrible side quests, worse visuals than in ME2, less characters, railroading you into situations that shouldn't exist because of the decisions you made in previous games (rachni queen), decisions from previous games that don't matter at all (Collector's base), day one DLC for $10, awkward animations, narrow FOV where your character takes the entire left side of the screen, no holster function, bad controls where one button does 3 things, no clear villain, Kai Lang, Kinect that took so much time and money out of the development, godawful ending that throws away everything Mass Effect was until the last 10 minutes of the game.

Yeah, they dropped the ball on Mass Effect 3. They had it coming. Too bad Mass Effect 3 had to be the game they ruined in order for people to finally start paying attention.
^Pretty much this. ME 3 is good in some ways. But honestly, it was a major disappointment overall.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
It's a great game up until the last 10 minutes. Those last 10 minutes kill it. Seriously up until then I was completely ready to dub it my favorite game of all time.

Harb

May 2, 2010
Oh it isn't a bad game by any stretch (Dragon Age 2 was a bad game for example), however the ending for many people, me included, drastically overshadowes any good segments ME3 has.

Would you happily recall memories of a great theme park if they promised you an icecream at the end, but after a whole day all you would receive is a kick in balls?

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
The game is okay, the lack of much to do outside of combat is disappointing but then again it's about the writing right? The thing is the endings themselves while horrible are only 1% of the game, but! if you are really attached to the universe they could end up retroactively ruining all your previous experiences.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
I bought all my Mass effect games for 20 bucks on amazon after a year of the first game being released. Same goes for the second and both had extra DLC stuff. Amazon might just have a thing for pricing certain games really low.

PortalThinker113

Jul 13, 2010
As I see has been stated on this thread already, it's just a one-day sale. Amazon probably had a couple of extra copies of ME3 lying around, and they decided to make ME3 their "Deal of the Day." No need to foretell doom about it.

Of course, I heartily recommend that those of you who haven't bought it yet get it NOW. $30 is more than worth it. Yes, the ending may have sucked, but the other 99% of the game was one of the best games I have ever played, and made a run at being the best. The multiplayer is the surprise of the package, too- It's been almost two months now and I'm still hooked on playing online. It may just be Horde mode, but I just seem to care a lot more when it's a Horde mode in a universe that I care a lot about and with the excellent powers and mechanics of Mass Effect.

MahMahnator2992

Sep 5, 2009
The_Blue_Rider said:
Honestly I'd say Characters and Story can be classified as different things. Like good characters greatly contribute to the story, but you can still have great characters in a game with a terrible story.
Keeping in the context of Bioware, an example of that would be Dragon Age II. The story was all over the place and overall very lackluster, but the individual characters were BRILLIANT. I had to look up some of the plot details that I had forgotten over the course of the year since I've played the game, but I remember each and every one of your squad mates, your brother, your sister, your mom, your deadbeat uncle Gamlen, they were all brilliantly written and fleshed out. The Merrill story line in particular just grabbed me and wouldn't let go, she knew what she was doing was wrong but was so naive that even if you're the staunchest of Templars, you just want to give her a hug after it's all over.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
I still consider Mass Effect 3 the weakest of the series. It's not even because of the ending. The way ME3 handles side quests and planet scanning just felt too janky for a triple A title. It didn't feel complete. It felt rushed.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
jensenthejman said:
Adam Jensen said:
It's a pretty mediocre game when you judge it as the whole product. At times it's incredible (Tuchanka, Rannoch, deaths of some characters) but Bioware dropped things that made Mass Effect so likeable in order to cater to a wider audience. They basically forgot about the fans who made that game so popular in order to attract Call of Duty players.

Auto-dialogue, catering to multiplayer crowd, terrible side quests, worse visuals than in ME2, less characters, railroading you into situations that shouldn't exist because of the decisions you made in previous games (rachni queen), decisions from previous games that don't matter at all (Collector's base), day one DLC for $10, awkward animations, narrow FOV where your character takes the entire left side of the screen, no holster function, bad controls where one button does 3 things, no clear villain, Kai Lang, Kinect that took so much time and money out of the development, godawful ending that throws away everything Mass Effect was until the last 10 minutes of the game.

Yeah, they dropped the ball on Mass Effect 3. They had it coming. Too bad Mass Effect 3 had to be the game they ruined in order for people to finally start paying attention.
^Pretty much this. ME 3 is good in some ways. But honestly, it was a major disappointment overall.
I really thought that it was damn near close to being the best in the series. Most of the things mentioned here were at least for me easily ignored, I really did not want to play multiplayer, so I didn't, the From Ashes Dlc looked interesting, so I bought it and I enjoyed it (And honestly that is just a silly complaint, I have no Idea why people think that Bioware waiting another few months before releasing it would have changed anything.) Really, the side quest were near identical to ME1's sidequests, and many people threw a big fuss when they were taken out. Once again, I have cannot understand why so many people had a problem with Kai Leng, he's suppose to be an asshole who you want to kill. And lastly, saying that "having no clear villian" is a flaw is akin to saying that the game having a female protagonist is a flaw, it's just the way that they made it, not all stories need to have one designated villain.

Keep in mind this is just all my opinion, I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I liked ME3 until the last 10-20mins, the ending was a total let down, so much so that i can't be bothered to replay it because i know the only difference to the ending was different colours...