Mass Effect 3: It's not the endings, its the final battle (And synthesis)

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Because there's literally no way to talk about this without someone getting their panties in a twist I'll just leave this "disclaimer" here
-No, I don't want to argue about Bioware being dickheads
-No, I don't care about how its multiplayers fault
-No, The indoctrination theory is not a thing
-Yes, we get it, the endings really sucked to start with

Anyway, with that out of the way, lets get to my point

I recently went through Mass Effect 3 again, and yada yada problems with the plot and crap aside it's still a good game in my eyes. Except for one thing, the final hour, but not for the reasons you think. Allow me to explain.

To me the biggest disappointment as it stands right now is the battle for Earth. Sure, starchild is an annoying turd but I can deal with him, he's not the worst thing to happen to the series he's bearable.

But what really gets me is that there is no pay off on Earth. Jacks students aren't keeping my barriers up, I don't see grunt and wrex charge over a hill into a group of reapers, the rachni don't kill their indoctrinated cousins, Zaeed doesn't shoot a few enemies while muttering something about "guddaam bastads"

In short, there is no big moment with your friends. And that hurts because when you come down to it the entire series was about forging friendships and alliances to defeat a huge threat. Yet at the end all we got was the Alliance with a few other token members of the races added in fighting.

To me that's the biggest disappointment, not the starchild, not buzz aldrin (Though I'll get to him) its the lack of god damn pay off.

Sorry, "Guddaam payoff".

On a side note however, as much as I like Buzz Aldrin, I don't like the scene being there. It makes sense for the refusal ending but not so much for anything else as it makes it seem like your story might not have happened in the universe. But that's a minor gripe and easily ignored.

Finally my other second biggest issue is the synthesis ending, on the whole I try to ignore the ending but that's hard to do since Bioware set it up to be the "best" ending.

What? Synthesis defeats the entire purpose of the series, the entire third game (especially the Quarian-Geth part) is about how either machines and organics need to learn to deal with each other to kill each other. Yet synthesis is a slap in the face by saying all we need is a little space magic for peace to happen.

I feel that if your going to give us a "Great" ending just have it be the destroy ending except it only hits the reapers, and as a payoff have shepard still die or even the normandy crash and burn. Anything but something that goes directly against the themes and ideas of the series.

It would be comparable to having Raskolnikov live out his days free and happy at the end of Crime and Punishment or having Frodo just sit at home drinking ale for the rest of his life at the end of Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, I'm done, and since I know you can't talk about Mass Effect without having a big "SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP, WE WANT NO MORE" or "This thread again" posts by people who I'm sure think they're hilarious I'll just leave this here.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Y'know, I'm pretty sure the dead horse is practically a zombie by this stage.

I also found the final mission pretty lackluster. Most of the time the main thought in my head was, "Man, the suicide mission in ME2 was ten times better than this." Fully agreed on the whole payoff thing. All we got was one kinda cool but short space fight and a couple of cutscenes with glitchy sound showing random alien soldiers shooting stuff. The scenes don't even change depending on who you brought.

However, I could deal with a lackluster final battle. It was the other stuff that fucked the ending for me. Mostly the complete lack of closure regarding the characters and setting, especially in the original non-EC endings.

crono738

Sep 4, 2008
Agree 100%. Everything started to go downhill right after the awesomesauce that was the fleet(s) arriving.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
You speak the truth. I really don't understand how the same team that crafted the perfect genophage and geth/quarian arcs in the game managed to fuck up the ending as badly as they did. I can only assume that they were rushed for time.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Why are people still complaining? I mean, I was all for changing the ending, but we already got that. It's been months since EC was released, so I don't understand why the hell this topic is getting necro'd again and again.

If you were still unsatisfied after EC, then you have two options: play the earlier games and erase ME3 from your head-canon, or simply stop playing and stop spreading the grief to the rest of us who've moved on.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
The game sucked, full stop.

-less overall content
-crappy cameos
-No real point of "choice" existing
-Contrived story/plot
-Half-arsed (ripped-off) ending with no conclusion

Sure, there were some good things but those good things don't really stand against the crap.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Agreed.

Personally I'd have done away with the entire 'catalyst' idea to begin with, it just reeks of being a last-second ass pull excuse for how to kill the Reapers. An excuse I don't think was really needed either: You kill Sovereign, you know they're not immortal. Tough as hell but the Reapers can be destroyed, and what's more thanks to the events of Mass Effect 1 and 2 for possibly the first time in potentially billions of years, the Reapers don't have the advantage of surprise on their side. They're going to have to fight an organized foe, something that they've not had to do against any of the recorded previous invasions.

So do away with the catalyst junk and just have the game building up towards a battle against them, with your decisions throughout the previous games determining how well the battle goes and what happens. That's how I'd have hoped Bioware would do it.

Ah well!

romxxii said:
Why are people still complaining? I mean, I was all for changing the ending, but we already got that. It's been months since EC was released, so I don't understand why the hell this topic is getting necro'd again and again.

If you were still unsatisfied after EC, then you have two options: play the earlier games and erase ME3 from your head-canon, or simply stop playing and stop spreading the grief to the rest of us who've moved on.
What's the harm in discussing it?

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Because it's like complaining about last year's Superbowl results. It's done, it's been postmortem'd to death by people better than you or I, and frankly, I've run out of the requisite bile to keep my Bioware hate going.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
The Madman said:
Agreed.

Personally I'd have done away with the entire 'catalyst' idea to begin with, it just reeks of being a last-second ass pull excuse for how to kill the Reapers. An excuse I don't think was really needed either: You kill Sovereign, you know they're not immortal. Tough as hell but the Reapers can be destroyed, and what's more thanks to the events of Mass Effect 1 and 2 for possibly the first time in potentially billions of years, the Reapers don't have the advantage of surprise on their side. They're going to have to fight an organized foe, something that they've not had to do against any of the recorded previous invasions.

So do away with the catalyst junk and just have the game building up towards a battle against them, with your decisions throughout the previous games determining how well the battle goes and what happens. That's how I'd have hoped Bioware would do it.

Ah well!
Yeah that is similar to how I would have liked it to go, but I'd add a few things. I would have liked the crucible to end up being a device for nullifying the reapers indoctrination, akin to a gigantic radar jammer, and from then it would be a massive battle between the combined fleets of the galaxy vs the reapers and how well you did depends on on the choices you made in regards to uniting the various races.

I would have also liked them to go with the dark energy idea. Where the reapers were a force trying to prevent said dark energy from destroying the galaxy. And they had to keep creating more reapers to stop it, hence the extermination cycle. And so once you defeat the reapers you've got this massive new threat to deal with and it takes the combined efforts of the galaxy once again to find a solution to stop it. That would have been a better ending I think.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Zhukov said:
I also found the final mission pretty lackluster. Most of the time the main thought in my head was, "Man, the suicide mission in ME2 was ten times better than this." Fully agreed on the whole payoff thing. All we got was one kinda cool but short space fight and a couple of cutscenes with glitchy sound showing random alien soldiers shooting stuff. The scenes don't even change depending on who you brought.
I set myself up for disappointment in retrospect. I was expecting the entire Earth segment to be the suicide mission on a galactic scale, with past squaddies holding the line with entire fleets behind them, but alas it's all been said before. I'm over it.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
They could have probably fixed the whole ending by not cutting Javik out and selling him as day-one DLC. The original plan was that Javik was the Catalyst, which sounds a whole lot better than space kid.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
I don't know if I am or if it matters but just in case SPOILERS!

I guess since I ended up playing the game long after the whole ending controversy maelstrom passed my expectations were understandably lessened but I honestly didn't have too much of a problem with the ending I got(I also saw it with the extended cut so I don't what it was like before...)

The way I see it the game itself which I actively had a hand in telling ended once Shepard entered the beam after the alliance charged Harbinger, everything after that even though I was still playing and could still affect things to a small degree was little more than an extended cutscene and I honestly didn't have an issue with it... If thats the way these guys wanted their game to end then so be it.

Everything beforehand that which I did have a hand in shaping was excellent and alot of different outcomes to various plot threads were possible, they may not have affected the overall ending but they affected ME personally and my impression of the story which ultimately affected the final mission in my eyes as it had my own memories and feelings projected on it.

Whatever... just me...

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Zhukov said:
Y'know, I'm pretty sure the dead horse is practically a zombie by this stage.
For that reaosn we need a Zombie-Horse SLAYER!!!
And after we burned the body, we need a Ghost-Horse BUSTER!!!
And After that we need an Devil-Horse EXORCIST!!!

You get the idea ^^

THIS HORSE WILL NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!

[Also I didn't read the spoilers, so thanfully I saw that coming]

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
STOP STOP STOP STOP IT WE HAVE HAD THIS TALK A THOUSAND TIMES AND i am sick of seeing this I used to hate the ending but I just stoped caring about it and the series can we please stop talking about it the horse is already died everything has already been said

Apr 5, 2008
Did someone say something about a dead horse? I work for Findus you see and would be glad to take it off your hands.

The Madman said:

Hi. You need to get into the games industry as a story writer! Kthanx.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
This is of course part of the reason I was so dissatisfied with the game. Not only do none of your decisions really change the course of events, there's never really a time to show off all the things you've accomplished. I'd have liked to think other options for destroying the Reapers might have come about from the path you took, and that's about the least satisfying thing I could've hoped for. There's generally either no payoff or you have to take Bioware's word for it, and maybe have it contribute to your arbitrary universal whatever score. As much as this thread isn't really meant to be about the ending...fuck the Catalyst. You destroy Reapers during ME3 with conventional weaponry, you should have been able to use different species' strengths to your advantage and formulate and actual fucking plan of attack and have a massive battle where all of your choices come into effect. The ending is made so much worse by the realisation that they never intended to have satisfying payoff to your choices, they were creating this massive buildup, sustained by the illusion of choice and the promise of consequences, only to have it fall flat at the end.

JazzJack2

Feb 10, 2013
Biodrones out at full force I see. The problem with Mass Effect 3 is not the ending, it's the entire game, all of it is badly written and extremely boring from a gameplay stand point. Even the visuals are worse than the previous games, the lighting is shockingly bad and all the colour seems to have vanished.