Mass Effect 3 Petition Raises Funds For Charity

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Fappy said:
I don't think the community is a hive-mind. While I am sure there is plenty of overlap its unfair to say the same people who swore off Bioware due to Day-One DLC are the same people who want a new ending for the game.
Yes, maybe.

Though i think it may be worth mentioning the masses could be convinced to think this way if enough of their friends or the people they follow all say the same thing.

But not me, im just an intense cynic.

JeanLuc761 said:
Here's the thing though. Even if the "true' ending becomes a paid DLC and everyone rushes to get it...that's only a short-term gain. Bioware's brand loyalty has been utterly shattered for a lot of people (including myself), and I know they're losing thousands of fans by the day.
Well, i just went to the Bioware forums. In one section [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/355/index] of the Mass Effect 3 forums about 30% of the threads are to do with the ending. Some calling for calm, most doing the opposite and demanding either a refund or rewrite.

I mean think of this. We were promised a game with a conclusive ending that would answer all our questions. We were promised this CONSTANTLY over the last year, from several different people. And you know what we got? We got an ending that not only doesn't make sense, but asks more questions than I started the game with.
I cant really comment on the ending. I dont know what it is myself and my willingness to go look it up anywhere is riding equivalent to my willingness to buy the latest Call of Duty, or taking my own leg off with a hacksaw.

I may not know the cause, but i can damn well see the results.

And if the heavily supported "Indoctrination Theory" is right, that means Bioware willingly shipped a game without an ending. We paid for an ending, and they didn't give it to us. That's unacceptable.
Well, you didnt pay for an ending. You paid for a game. The fact that 3 of my local friends literally vanished into thier darkrooms for at least 30 hours each over the weekend indicates that you got just that.

Ive purposely tried to avoid using theese words but paying money for a whole product while the whole product works as intended by those who made it, then demanding changes because one or two parts of it were not good enough for you (or anyone else, stick with the singular example) smacks a little bit strongly of "being entitled".

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
If you aren't informed, maybe you should hold back writing an article until you are.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
gigastar said:
Well, you didnt pay for an ending. You paid for a game. The fact that 3 of my local friends literally vanished into thier darkrooms for at least 30 hours each over the weekend indicates that you got just that.

Ive purposely tried to avoid using theese words but paying money for a whole product while the whole product works as intended by those who made it, then demanding changes because one or two parts of it were not good enough for you (or anyone else, stick with the singular example) smacks a little bit strongly of "being entitled".
I paid for a COMPLETE game. For it to be complete, it would need to have an ending. ESPECIALLY when Bioware promised us that the ending would be conclusive and wouldn't just be A, B, or C.

Know what we got? A non-conclusive ending that is A, B, or C. And even those are pretty much identical.

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
You know what I'm seeing a lot of lately?

"I haven't finished the game yet, but..."

"I'm not a fan of Mass Effect, but..."

"I only ever played five minutes of the original game, but..."

Why does anyone think they have a reason to speak out about something that they haven't even experienced for themselves? I get that everyone has an opinion, but come on... You're kinda writing off your own credibility here. The endings were bad. Not because of the reasons people give to quickly dismiss those who complain, e.g. "You're just mad Shepard dies", "What, you expected unicorns and rainbows?" etc...

The fact is the endings are bad because they're full of plot-holes and are altogether nonsensical. If you got through the game and like them, that's fine. But can we at least appreciate that people are upset enough to try and DO something about it, versus simply pissing into the wind?

I rarely see arguments between developers and fans go anywhere worthwhile. This "Child's Play" donation drive at the very least is bringing a little bit of good into a bad situation.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Yeah... no. The gamers' reaction to an objectively bad ending is not ridiculous.

Allow me to link another article, which goes in-depth into the issue of Mass Effect 3. Yes it includes spoilers.
http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/

BattleAxeInc

May 10, 2009
This new DLC pricing is ridiculous; 30 grand for a new ending?!

Personally, I'm going to spend my money making sure Aeris lives.

Seems we've reached bargaining [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/9476-Mass-Effect-3-The-Process] in the Kübler-Ross Stages of Mass Effect 3.

Is anyone else reminded of Stephen King's Misery?

I could go on.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
JeanLuc761 said:
gigastar said:

I paid for a COMPLETE game. For it to be complete, it would need to have an ending. ESPECIALLY when Bioware promised us that the ending would be conclusive and wouldn't just be A, B, or C.

Know what we got? A non-conclusive ending that is A, B, or C. And even those are pretty much identical.
So youre blaming them because you believed what someone who ultimately works for EA said?

Its happened before with Command and Conquer 4, now its happening with Mass Effect 3. Learn from the past, know what to expect. To EA an 'ending' has to be something that can always be dragged out into another sequel.

Jul 22, 2009
McNinja said:
TO quote someone who left a Facebook post: "You claim that it is beyond ridiculous and yet freely admit you have no clue what people are talking about and criticising because you haven't finished the game?

And yet you think you somehow have the right to laugh and make snide comments about the subject?

The subject as said you know nothing about?

Really?

Finish the game, then give us your honest opinion on everything.
If you STILL think the drive to change the ending at that point is "beyond ridiculous" then we will at least have some respect for you while we disagree.

Until then you really should have just stuck to the facts in reporting this instead of putting in your clueless opinion."
I have to agree with this, you want to criticize and make fun of those who are respectfully requesting a better ending, and you highlight some of the points they have on their page for what they want, but what of the widely agreed on points they make about why the ending was not what they had hoped for?

I agree with those points and from the look of most gaming forums, a hell of a lot of other people do too.

Also, you state you haven't finished the game, as other posters have said, finish it.

For the record, I like the idea of the ending, but the way it's presentation was disappointing.

Jul 22, 2009
gigastar said:
So youre blaming them because you believed what someone who ultimately works for EA said?

Its happened before with Command and Conquer 4, now its happening with Mass Effect 3. Learn from the past, know what to expect. To EA an 'ending' has to be something that can always be dragged out into another sequel.
What you say there makes me have to ask, have you completed or seen the endings to Mass Effect 3?

Cause the argument that EA wants to drag it into a sequel is a redundant argument here.

Serfix

Jun 16, 2010
I have played the game trough and I don't have problem with the ending. It just makes you wonder what what happens after that, but in a way it's fun. I have readed few scifi books and some of them had open ending that makes you think for yourself what happens next.

And this fund raising... I really laughed when I saw this first time. I'm sorry if you didn't like the ending but this is just sad in my opinion.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Pandabearparade said:
Andy Chalk said:
I think your demand for a Mass Effect 3 rewrite is beyond ludicrous,
You admitted that you haven't finished the game, so you have no idea what the ending is. Seems like that would be relevant to how "ludicrous" this demand is.
It's perfectly fair for someone to conceptually find a demand against a creative producer to change his or her creation as ludicrous without seeing said creation. This isn't a question of quality. The author is not saying "there's no way the ending is so bad that this would be called for." He is saying that "the idea of a bunch of people online demanding that something subjective should be changed to meet their personal requirements" is ridiculous. The actual content of what this group is claiming needs change is irrelevant. Who knows, the author might end up hating the ending more than anyone involved with the petition once he gets there, but I doubt it would ever change his stance on this point, and nor should it.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
GamesB2 said:
gigastar said:

What you say there makes me have to ask, have you completed or seen the endings to Mass Effect 3?

Cause the argument that EA wants to drag it into a sequel is a redundant argument here.
As i mentioned in an earlier post...

gigastar said:
I cant really comment on the ending. I dont know what it is myself and my willingness to go look it up anywhere is riding equivalent to my willingness to buy the latest Call of Duty, or taking my own leg off with a hacksaw.
But knowing EA they will either DLC it away or more likely use it to make another game or seires of games that will explain away what happened if they dont change the actual ending.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Wharrgarble said:
But can we at least appreciate that people are upset enough to try and DO something about it...?
...no. No I can't.

What kind of ridiculous mindset is that?

"This story didn't go the way I wanted it to go, I'm going to try and get it changed!"

When the hell has that ever happened in any other artistic medium? When? There are hundreds of books, movies, tv shows, anime, blah blah that all have undefined or bleak endings, and are lauded as some of the best those mediums have to offer. It is ludicrous and childish that video games seems to be an exception to that.

Maybe you didn't like the endings or felt they weren't complete or illogical or blah blah blah, you want to criticize them, go right ahead. In fact please do. Write a giant doctoral thesis on why you think the endings are objectively shit, but do not have the sheer hubris to think that you get to change another person's work of art.

Alright. That's all I got.

edit: actually...

Wharrgarble said:
This "Child's Play" donation drive at the very least is bringing a little bit of good into a bad situation.
I'll happily agree on that.

Jul 22, 2009
gigastar said:
But knowing EA they will either DLC it away or more likely use it to make another game or seires of games that will explain away what happened if they dont change the actual ending.
DLC it away? One can only hope, but it's damn unlikely.

Explain it away with sequels? Nope, the ending doesn't allow it. If any of this kind surfaced, it would be tragic in the same way as the Star Wars prequels.

Before assuming what EA is going to do with the series after it's conclusion, you may actually want to watch its conclusion?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
GamesB2 said:
gigastar said:
DLC it away? One can only hope, but it's damn unlikely.

Explain it away with sequels? Nope, the ending doesn't allow it. If any of this kind surfaced, it would be tragic in the same way as the Star Wars prequels.

Before assuming what EA is going to do with the series after it's conclusion, you may actually want to watch its conclusion?
Fine, to my credence in this discussion, ill go watch the endings.

But please keep in mind Mass Effect certainly wont be the first fictional series to get a side story that contributes to the overall plot without ever crossing with the main plot. If it does get a side story.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Not liking the ending is perfectly ok. I don't think it's terrible, but I can see where they failed to execute their ideas for it (better execution for the same idea still would get angry reactions from some, though).

However, demanding the ending to be changed is entitlement. There's no other word for it.

I know Child's Play is a good cause and all, but instead of trying to manipulate creators into changing what they did, why don't we apply funds to the creation of the good RPGs some people would like to get made? Like the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/wasteland-2] that started yesterday? Let's be really constructive instead of entitled.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
crimsnking said:
i personally am not asking for a complete rewrite just a "Where Are They Now" montage ending.
Pretty much this. As I've stated previously in other threads I'm actually ok with the endings we have. I would just like some more closure when it comes to what happens to my squadmates and the galaxy itself.

jecht35

Jul 2, 2011
Zer_ said:
Yeah... no. The gamers' reaction to an objectively bad ending is not ridiculous.

Allow me to link another article, which goes in-depth into the issue of Mass Effect 3. Yes it includes spoilers.
http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/
Those are all the reasons why I think the ending was so bad thank you for posting this. But what iritated me the most was the buy more DLC screen, I mean come on really BW.

Jul 22, 2009
gigastar said:
Fine, to my credence in this discussion, ill go watch the endings.

But please keep in mind Mass Effect certainly wont be the first fictional series to get a side story that contributes to the overall plot without ever crossing with the main plot. If it does get a side story.
Please, I'm more than fine with that, a side story that only connects to the main series plot in a tiny way if at all?

Make it good and I'm sold, expanded universe is something I like, release a game that follows a squad of Krogans in the Rachni war? Fuck yeah. Possibly a bad example but you get the idea.

However the idea that there could be a sequel that explains away the ending to Mass Effect 3 and continues as if nothing on a galaxy shattering scale happened is a fate worse than death for the Mass Effect series.