Mass Effect 3 Tops List Of Most Promising E3 Games

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Mass Effect 3 Tops List Of Most Promising E3 Games

A new report has appeared, detailing the twenty most promising retail games of this year's E3 conference. The results will (not) surprise you.

Electronic Entertainment Design & Research (henceforth EEDAR), which describes itself as "the leading provider of comprehensive contextual information for the worldwide video game industry," compiled the list to aid retailers in determining which games were most likely to pull down huge sales numbers once they appear on store shelves.

To do so, EEDAR analyzed 78 million pageviews from the IGN network and 45 million "Media Views" from GameTrailers, accounting for the activities of over 20 million visitors. The thinking here, it seems, is that prospective gamers will take to the 'net to research games they find interesting, especially following the massive media blowout of E3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/misc/8943-Games-of-E3]. EEDAR then compiled the data, and came up with a leaderboard of the upcoming games that people seem most interested in.

The list itself should come as no huge shock to anyone with an Internet connection and a passing interest in videogames. EEDAR has published the top 20 in its entirety [http://www.eedar.com/uploads/Most%20Promising%20Title%20Awards.jpg], though realistically our clever, wildly attractive readership should be able to guess at the remaining titles after a glimpse at the top 5:

1. Mass Effect 3 - Electronic Arts - BioWare
2. Battlefield 3 - Electronic Arts - DICE
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Bethesda Softworks - Bethesda Game Studio
4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Activision Blizzard - Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer & Treyarch
5. Assassin's Creed Revelations - UbiSoft - UbiSoft Montreal

Additionally, the EEDAR report claims that Microsoft's Xbox 360 commands the "highest awareness and purchase intent for its first and third party titles" and that Nintendo has "the highest awareness amongst all publishers."

If you're suddenly interested in which games are going to be saturating the adspace at your local GameStop for the next few months, have a look at the report in its entirety [http://cts.vresp.com/c/?EEDAR/026364ca1f/f6cb10f965/426807b822].

The really neat bit here is that the list cites games from throughout the industry, on almost every platform, and of almost every genre. It's slightly weighted toward first person shooters, but that's an inescapable trend in gaming. If nothing else, this list signals an incredibly healthy gaming industry, in which gamers have a vast selection of what to play and how to play it.

The inherent optimism is hard to miss.

Dec 14, 2009
Nice to see ME 3, Skyrim and AC:Revelations up there.

The war based FPS titles, I couldn't give a toss about.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, good for them I suppose. Since Mass Effect 3 is coming 'till next year, out of that list, I'm only interested in Skyrim right now.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
If nothing else, this list signals an incredibly healthy gaming industry, in which gamers have a vast selection of what to play and how to play it.
If you like playing FPS anyways.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
The demo that they showed at E3 got me worried. I thought it looked like Gears of War RPG edition with that turret set piece thing that they showed. Regardless of my feelings, it will do well.

What I find interesting, is how they listed Battlefield 3 as having higher sales than MW3.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
Because you can't put a price on hope, but disappointment is £34.99 RRP. Cheaper if you pre-order.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Dont forget they set back ME3....

I can not wait for the hellstorm that will be if it turns into another DA2

and I bet they will regret this list.

Im glad Skyrim was in the Top 3 tho

No suprise on Bland Military Game 3 made it also into the list

Akihiko

Raincoat Killer
Aug 21, 2008
Well, at least Skyrim and ACR is there if you don't like shooters. That's something, I guess.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
If i had to guess before seeing the top 5, i most likely wouldn't mention Assassins Creed (though i love the series, i just don't think it's that popular) and put Batman Arkham City in there instead.
So, yeah. I approve this list!

MasterLogo51

Jun 15, 2011
I have to say, I'm glad ME3, BF3, MW3, and ACR are up there, never been a big fan of Elder Scroll games.

jericu

Oct 22, 2008
All the detailed info makes me think is "What game was number 3 in terms of page views on IGN?"

I know it's entirely inconsequential, but I am curious.

coolguy5678

Apr 1, 2010
People who look at game news websites are not a representative sample of the gaming public. Hence MW3 not being number 1.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Not being a retailer looking to ensure I have plenty of stock on titles likely to sell like hotcakes... good for the games on the list I guess? It's kind of hard to see why I should care about sales predictions as a consumer - my concern over the prospective sales figures of any given title is generally going to be an afterthought predicated by entirely selfish reasons, aka, I want them to succeed because then they'll make more "game I love".

This isn't a list of the best games at E3, it's a list of what this information aggregation service thinks is going to sell the best - big distinction. In terms of direct impact to me, appearing or not appearing on that list is meaningless, my only real concern is whether or not a game I'm looking forward to will be good. All this tells you is what people are paying the most attention to; it says more about the audience than the medium really.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
What's this? The most hyped games from E3 are Mass Effect, Call of Duty, Battlefield 3, Skyrim and...Assassin's Creed? I was gonna be sarcastic, but I really thought number 5 would be Skyward Sword or something.