Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"

Mass Effect [http://masseffect.bioware.com] isn't exactly the most upbeat videogame series ever but BioWare's Casey Hudson says that as the third part of the trilogy, Mass Effect 3 will have "a lot more humor" than its predecessor.

Let's face it: Mass Effect is no Armed and Dangerous [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_and_Dangerous_%28video_game%29]. The game can be pretty dark at times, particular the second chapter, which begins on a hugely down note and makes it very easy for players to finish in an even worse place. But that's the nature of trilogies, according to Mass Effect Producer Casey Hudson, and like the final part of all good trilogies, Mass Effect 3 is going to be a little lighter than the previous game.

"We're not talking too much about Mass Effect 3 right now, but the second story in a trilogy is where you traditionally end up in a fairly dark place. The third story is where you try and bring some fun and lightness back into it," he said in an interview with OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=19778].

"One thing we tried to do with Mass Effect 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1276202605&sr=1-1] was as well as bringing in the more mature stuff, we also tried to bring in a lot more humor so that we can go to these places without making it an overbearing experience," he continued. "I think we have a lot more fun this time through characters like Joker and EDI. Mass Effect 3 is going to be the epic conclusion... so, a lot more darkness but also a lot more humor."

But when treated properly, he noted, the "darkness" of a game like Mass Effect 2 can be fun in itself. "You can go too far with the darkness and troubles in your subject matter. But there is a certain amount of fun that comes from the realism of a story, if it resembles a mature movie or TV show and resembles real adults interacting," he said. "That's part of what we're always trying to pursue - how do we bring on the realism and the humanity of the experience?"

Mass Effect 3 is expected to be released sometime in 2011.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
As long as I can still take the game and its story serious that's okay.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
I hope they at least have a bit of darkness. Part of my favorite sections in ME 2 was at the end where I was incredibly stressed out over if I would actually make it or not.

[sub]Good riddance with Miranda though[/sub]

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I dunno, I really liked Mass Effect 2's dark storyline. I'm just more attracted to dark or black media. My two favourite movies, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and A Clockwork Orange are fucking depressing.
Still, if they can keep the intensity, then I'm all for a bit of humour here and there.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
Well, they still said they're adding "More darkness and humour" so, It's going to be similair to ME2. Speaking of, need to finish.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
Will they make the transition from dark to light with the DLC also? Even if they don't, I hope they can improve the humour because what was supposed to be funny was more cringing, but the drama was pulled off well.

Now they just need that happy medium...

Icecoldcynic

Oct 5, 2009
Well it's always darkest before dawn as they say, so the second one being darker than the third makes sense. I'm sure it'll still be a serious story.

Vampire cat

Apocalypse Meow
Apr 21, 2010
I see what you did there space-engineers, making the suits tight in the rear as well as the front.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
They like that picture a lot huh?

Mass effect 1 always seem a little balance with the Light and dark contrast...ME2 lean on the evil side a little bit, I wonder what they do with 3

Also, I might as well say it...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
long as they dont keep saying its a suicide mission Ill be ok, that got old fast and its not like it was any more then the first games was, I mean sure you could die but still it wasnt really darker then the first game, they just kept saying it was

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
i thought much of the game was pretty funny
mording singing, the "refuse orders" bit, garrus's whole "reach vs flexibility" thing was awesome

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Well, it has to be lighter if they're planning for Shepard to win that war after all. Even Mass Effect 2 was pretty funny at times (read: all the times when it wasn't concerned with drama - not a lot, but still), so if they're bringing more of that... i'm all for it.

Andy Chalk said:
Let's face it: Mass Effect is no Armed and Dangerous [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armed_and_Dangerous_%28video_game%29].
And that's perfectly fine, but... what if there was a space opera RPG with the same humor level as AaD? That would rock.

Quesa said:
So, in other words, it's Ewok time.
I, personally, hope for the appearance of Lombaxes, or some other sort of vaguely catlike repairmen.

Chase Yojimbo

The Samurai Sage
Sep 1, 2009
I hope Bioware keeps it up, as of late, Mass Effect had been my favorite game, ME2 only got better from the first, in most things... except when farming for materials, i hope they get rid of that. ME3 will only get better, but i wonder how they are gonna get rid of the SR2 Normandy and get the SR3 movin along?

Lizard_viking said:
As long as ME3's plot don't suck as much as ME2's did. I'm cool.
NO! BAD! BAD LIZARD BAD! ME2 PLOT WAS GOOD... besides a little far fetchy with the Reaper thing...

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
They're not kidding. Every character had something really grim as part of their story. Mordin and the genophage, Thane, who is going to die, Tali and the Fleet, Samara and her daughter, Garrus and Sidonis, and Jack. Everything about Jack. I'm glad ME3 will be a bit more upbeat.