Mass Effect 3 Will Bring Back the "Fun and Lightness"

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Lizard_viking said:
As long as ME3's plot don't suck as much as ME2's did. I'm cool.
I thought the plot was excellent; of course, I consider all of the character's individual stories to be part of the main plot.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
They are adding multiplayer and taking away the dark atmosphere. I have serious doubts about the third part of this series.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
SteelStallion said:
Andy Chalk said:
Nice choice of picture, Andy.
I was about to edit to say the same thing. :p

Miranda and her choice of clothes.
"Does Cerberus really let you whore around in that outfit?"
"Operative Lawson's uniform really makes me stand to attention."

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Echo136 said:
They are adding multiplayer and taking away the dark atmosphere. I have serious doubts about the third part of this series.
The first part is unconfirmed and the second is very normal for many trilogies. Hell, even Lord of the Rings had some good humor in Return of the King.

Lizard_viking

Mar 26, 2009
Chase Yojimbo said:
I hope Bioware keeps it up, as of late, Mass Effect had been my favorite game, ME2 only got better from the first, in most things... except when farming for materials, i hope they get rid of that. ME3 will only get better, but i wonder how they are gonna get rid of the SR2 Normandy and get the SR3 movin along?

Lizard_viking said:
As long as ME3's plot don't suck as much as ME2's did. I'm cool.
NO! BAD! BAD LIZARD BAD! ME2 PLOT WAS GOOD... besides a little far fetchy with the Reaper thing...
ME2 did have some strong points.

The plot was not one them.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
Humour's good. I liked what humour there was in ME2, but I hope they don't compromise the game because of it. They need to keep the darker atmosphere, insead of letting it become shiny happy Star Trek.

sansai

Mar 31, 2010
A little confused. The title says bringing back the "Fun and Lightness." Yet later in the interview they said: "Mass Effect 3 is going to be the epic conclusion... so, a lot more darkness but also a lot more humor."

Umm...shouldn't the title be "Fun and Dark" then? Make up your minds!

Either way, as long as they don't dumb the game down any further.

Oh and bring back the travel system of the old game. Or was I only one who was annoyed by the little ship parts, and then having to buy fuel and probes? Oh yeah...probes, big improvement [/sarcasm]. Those bits made me long for the days of pressing a button to scan and getting what I needed for my achievement.

Deofuta

Nov 10, 2009
Dr. wonderful said:
Also, I might as well say it...

DAMN I got ninja'd!

While I do like a little light and happiness, I just hope it doesn't get too out of hand.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I thought the humor in Mass Effect 2, when there, was excellent. Joker and EDI was a big one, but all the slightly more subtle jokes were what got me. Blasto, anyone?

"They thought the first Hanar Spectre would play by the rules."

"This one has forgotten whether it's heatsink is over capacity. It wonders if the criminal scum considers itself fortunate."

"They were wrong"

Virgilthepagan

May 15, 2010
I think I actually enjoyed the darker aspects of 2, like many of the other comments here. It helped make the storyline more involved, and the constant reminder that anyone could (and in my hilariously inept first try often did) die added a lot of tension to the entire game. While I could see some humor being nice I really hope they don't go overboard.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
lol nice miranda ass shot. btw, is it just me or is it very ill preportioned to the rest of her body? i personally think they made it way to big.

on topic: im excited for mass effect 3, but they better not make it too light, im sure ill love it either way though.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The funny thing from my perspective is, ME2 didn't really seem all that dark. I built my crew, got back one of my two primaries from the first game (and a virtual (almost literal) clone of the second), did some running around, saved the galaxy and everybody went home happy. I really liked the game, although no more than the original, but I never caught the "descent into darkness" vibe.

That said, moments of humour are vital, even in dark stories. Some of Joker's commentary in particular were very effective, because they were so real and appropriate to the situation. As Hudson said, it humanizes things, and that's the real strength of Mass Effect.

SteelStallion said:
Nice choice of picture, Andy.
Thanks, I like it too. Capped it myself, you know. ;)

(she's a skeezy ho)

dreadedcandiru99

Apr 13, 2009
Virgilthepagan said:
I think I actually enjoyed the darker aspects of 2, like many of the other comments here. It helped make the storyline more involved, and the constant reminder that anyone could (and in my hilariously inept first try often did) die added a lot of tension to the entire game. While I could see some humor being nice I really hope they don't go overboard.
Seconded. I don't get it--how exactly do you make a story about millions of enormous sentient death machines attempting to commit galactic omnicide "light"? If anything, it should be darker than the second game.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
As long as they don't add humour like Transformers 2. If i hear "directly below enemy scrotum" i'll want my money back.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I thionk they could do great with some homnour in it. Fit well with Dragon Age and Allistair had be in stitches!

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Dear Mr. Hudson,

Please put the shovel down and stop digging yourself deeper.

With regards,
A random brain

Cold Disciple

Oct 8, 2009
There was a lot of humor in Mass Effect 2, particularly with Mordin Solus (Gilbert and Sullivan, anyone?) and Joker, but it certainly didn't stop there. Pretty much all of the characters had some amusing one-liners at one point or another (although Grunt's were essentially the stuff of nightmares if you looked at them any other way--particularly his "getting it" spiel. Giant, violent lizard nihilists. Scary!).
I don't really see the point in a return to "light and fun". True, ME2 was a "darker and edgier" sequel, but launching us into a happier universe when the Reapers are preparing to shit intergalactic extinction on all the races of the universe is not a good choice of narrative tone. It's always darkest before the dawn, the saying goes, and freeing the universe from the clutches of a genocidal, manipulative race of machines is a hell of a dawn. I'd expect some pitch black moments in ME3, but I bet I'll be hugely disappointed.