Mass Effect 4 and Dragon Age: Inquisition to Share "Core Systems"

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I'm still hopeful for these games. Not holding my breath or anything, but hopeful nonetheless.

Most likely they mean something like the conversation wheel or inventory systems or maybe a moral compass for DA? It doesn't mean the games will be the same game, one in space and one in a fantasy setting.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I really want to see what they are going to do with Mass Effect 4

Like, what are you gonna do? You either have to continue based the story to varying degrees based on your stupid endings, retcon the whole thing to make it work with minimal effort, or do a prequel of a series of events everyone knows about already.
It was meant to be a trilogy. Let if fucking end as a trilogy.

Like, I don't know how they are going to continue this, and quite frankly I'm not going to sink my money into it like I did for ME3. I'll watch from the sidelines

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
RT said:
Phlakes said:
God forbid they use the same engine for two games of similar genre and style.

You know, like every developer ever.

(Seriously, what do you people think, every game has its own engine made from scratch? Are Portal and L4D lazy because Valve built them using Source systems from Half Life?)
No because Portal and L4D have different gameplay mechanics, whereas BW is going to recycle DA3's for ME4.
Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking not making assumptions. I'll try to leave the discussion to precognitive psychics like yourself.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Hm. I guess it all comes down to whether they're pulling useful bits or bits that need improvement, but I really would prefer it if ME4 didn't feel like DA3 - pull ideas, sure, but once you start copying systems, it feels old, not good.

Quijiboh

Mar 24, 2011
Bioware used pretty much the same engine for Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR (plus KOTOR's mechanics were pretty much a bastardised version of the bastardised version of 3rd Ed D&D NWN used). Bethesda used the same engine and base mechanics for Oblivion and Fallout. Myriad different games have been made with the Unreal Engine.

But no, the demon spectre of EA rises again! Damn you EA for being the reason why anyone does anything ever.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
StewShearer said:
More then that however,
You mean "more than that", I believe.

Anyway, I don't see what the big hubbub is about. The way people are shitting their pants over this news, you'd think that Valve didn't make 4 completely different games using just the Source Engine (saying nothing of other developers who have used it); or that the Unreal Tournement Engine hasn't been used to make games in just about every genre known. Hell, just look at the Starcraft 2 mods available. If you can play Bejeweled using Starcraft 2's engine, then the next Mass Effect and Dragon Age sharing an engine doesn't mean jack squat outside of not having to waste time and money designing two game engines. And... last I checked, but haven't people been complaining that game developers have been wasting too much money in their development processes lately? And now we're throwing a *****-fit over them finding an effective way to save money on their development process?

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Ok i will view this is the most negative way possble, why? because EA!

Dragon age Inquisition is going to be a 3rd person over the shoulder shooter using arrows and magic instead of guns and Psi powers!

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
As much as I loved Dragon Age Origins. I hated DA2 so much that I have not bought an EA game since..... that will not change. I am sure it will be more ninja pop up waves of stupid monsters with Button=Awesome Junk.

Mirrorknight

Jul 23, 2009
Yeah, watch the "ccre-system" be that both end up being squad based shooters. Or hackers, if you have some sword guy. After DAII and watching the Mass Effect series deteriorate over releases, I am amazingly skeptical and pessimistic of anything that comes out of the Bioware skin puppet these days.

Mar 9, 2012
Dragonbums said:

Like, what are you gonna do? You either have to continue based the story to varying degrees based on your stupid endings, retcon the whole thing to make it work with minimal effort, or do a prequel of a series of events everyone knows about already.

Like, I don't know how they are going to continue this, and quite frankly I'm not going to sink my money into it like I did for ME3. I'll watch from the sidelines
This.

I really only keep an interest in ME4 news because the last game torched the franchise so thoroughly and then salted the earth for good measure, that I am genuinely amazed that they make such a grandiose attempt to salvage it instead of quietly pulling it behind the shed to put it out of its misery. I know that it is pretty much a given that ME4 is going to be a retcon riddled trainwreck, but I am kind of hoping that it will be an entertaining trainwreck.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Blachman201 said:
Dragonbums said:

This.

I really only keep an interest in ME4 news because the last game torched the franchise so thoroughly and then salted the earth for good measure, that I am genuinely amazed that they make such a grandiose attempt to salvage it instead of quietly pulling it behind the shed to put it out of its misery. I know that it is pretty much a given that ME4 it is going to be a retcon riddled trainwreck, but I am kind of hoping that it will be an entertaining trainwreck.
Of course it will be entertaining. The difference between the ME3 fiasco was that people were mad because they sunk so much money and time into the game just to get shit.
Now however we have come prepared and we fully expect it be a laughable trainwreck.
Maybe we will even have guest star Casey Hudson come on to the stage to talk about artistic integrity and "deep" storylines.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Um...I think this is good. I'd rather they not re-invent the wheel for each game and focus the creativity on parts that actually do need to be different.

grigjd3

Mar 4, 2011
Mass Effect 4? I'm still waiting for a Mass Effect 3. And what is this silly Dragon Age thing that you seem to suggest already exists in two versions? Lastly, didn't Bioware just cease to exist after the release of ME2? It's a shame really because I was looking forward to the conclusion of that story line.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Sounds like efficient development to me. Why the hell do people want them to make stuff from scratch when they don't have to, that's crazy!

Nov 28, 2007
Yay for drawing conclusions! Sure, they didn't mention what those "core systems" are, but we are all psychics and know exactly what they are keeping the same between games!

Seriously, DA2 and Mass Effect shared "core systems" as well. Both of them had the conversation wheel, which acted exactly the same between games. Let's go even further. Gears of War and Resident Evil 4 "share core systems", because both have the same style of gameplay. You wouldn't say they are both exactly the same, though, nor would you even put them in the same genre.

In short, people need to start shutting the FUCK up with EA hate when we don't have enough info to even know what is going on. Upset over Sim City? Fine, that was a total debacle. Upset with the ME3 ending? I disagree, but at least you are basing it off of something solid rather than "This guy said something that I can twist into being negative, so I will!"

Apologies if anyone takes my remarks personally. I just get tired of gamers basing their reactions to game info based on what company is making the game, rather than what the info itself actually is. Let's face it. If Valve had said Portal 3 and Half Life 3 were "sharing core systems", would you all be complaining that the games were officially doomed?

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
1337mokro said:
CUTTING CORNERS! EA STYLE!!!

Fuck you Bioware!

The corner cutting has become fucking shameless in ME3 and let's not even talk about the lackluster copy pasting in Dragon Age 2. Entire fucking locations were copied and you didn't even BOTHER to attempt to hide it.

That doesn't just say Lazy, that says We don't give a shit.
This isn't really corner cutting, it's making good use of an engine, Valve and Activision have been doing this for years.

OT:Cool...I guess, I'd rather hear more about the games themselves but at least I'll know that if I can run one fine the other will run just as well.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
The important thing I took away for this was... MASS EFFECT 4 -.-
DA2 and ME3 were both failures for different reasons. The difference is that DA3 can recover from DA2. I don't think there is much that could be done to save ME4 from the god awful ending of ME3. I guess all I can do is wait and see. (and pray)