Mass Effect: Andromeda goes Gold

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
It sounds like Bioware just gave some random guy a sheet of paper and told him to read from it.
They probably did. Remember how they ran a community contest and basically had people send in audition tapes? In all likelihood, that's because their usual pool of voice actors is still on strike, and they couldn't find any decent replacements. I mean, Natalie Dormer had only done voice work once before (and that was for a GoT game), and that probably ate up most of the voice budget.

Even with below-average animation, decent voice actors can make up for a surprising amount, and bad voice actors can do a surprising amount of damage.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Oh my fuckin' god.
It was obvious that this father character would end up dying early in the game, but I didn't think that he'd be the one to name his own fuckin' successor like it's a hereditary monarchy. But that's exactly how Bioware wrote the story! One Pathfinder dies, but before he kicks the bucket he gets to name his successor, and it just so happens to be his own fuckin' kid. Nobody votes on it, nobody questions if that makes any sense or not. They all just instantly treat you like the chosen one. Like that's an actual title for a job that nobody else could possibly do. Apparently there's no one more qualified than the original Pathfinder's kid. Holy fuckin' shit they're not even trying anymore.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Nimcha said:
It's kind of funny seeing the same 4 or 5 gifs pop up everywhere. And based on that people say the game is bad. It's quite funny.

Been playing the game for a few hours, on pc I've noticed none of those things.
Same, people seem set to hate everything about this game.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
Oh my fuckin' god.
It was obvious that this father character would end up dying early in the game, but I didn't think that he'd be the one to name his own fuckin' successor like it's a hereditary monarchy. But that's exactly how Bioware wrote the story! One Pathfinder dies, but before he kicks the bucket he gets to name his successor, and it just so happens to be his own fuckin' kid. Nobody votes on it, nobody questions if that makes any sense or not. They all just instantly treat you like the chosen one. Like that's an actual title for a job that nobody else could possibly do. Apparently there's no one more qualified than the original Pathfinder's kid. Holy fuckin' shit they're not even trying anymore.
Apart from how douche-y it is to openly post spoilers just because you don't like the game....

There is tech involved, which has been transferred to the player character, incorrectly, and caused damage. They literally say that regardless of how everyone feels about the appointment of the new pathfinder, the tech has been damaged and cant be removed. They directly question whether he had the right to do what he did, but accept that its not being undone due to the complications that happened when it bonded to the PC's brain.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Elijin said:
There is tech involved, which has been transferred to the player character, incorrectly, and caused damage. They literally say that regardless of how everyone feels about the appointment of the new pathfinder, the tech has been damaged and cant be removed. They directly question whether he had the right to do what he did, but accept that its not being undone due to the complications that happened when it bonded to the PC's brain.
That's a terrible excuse and you know it.
It's just space magic all over again. Perhaps worse than what happened in ME3 because the entire plot of the game now rests on this crap. It's the cheapest way to do the "chosen one". It's basically the same thing that happened in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Kind of worse because you can't really question magic, but you sure as hell can question technology. Not to mention that these people have traveled to a new galaxy and their brilliant plan was to have only one guy in charge of the technology that is required to do the damn job.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
008Zulu said:
I'm guessing the Day 1 patch is going to be at or around 10gb.
Apparently the trial version comes with said day 1 patch.

I'd pay good money to see what it fixes if this is what was acceptable enough to slip through

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
MC1980 said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Nimcha said:
It's kind of funny seeing the same 4 or 5 gifs pop up everywhere. And based on that people say the game is bad. It's quite funny.

Been playing the game for a few hours, on pc I've noticed none of those things.
Same, people seem set to hate everything about this game.
Or, you know, the game is just bad based on the dozens of hours of previews containing horrible dialogue, writing, animation, bugs and whatnot.

Nah, it must be just haters. Game is totes amazingly written and the bugs are forgivable.

Also known as 'the fanboy' excuse.
I'm basing my statement on my own experiences and not what other people says. No need to get your panties in a bunch.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
JamesStone said:
Apparently the trial version comes with said day 1 patch.

I'd pay good money to see what it fixes if this is what was acceptable enough to slip through
Wow.

So what's the next one then, Month 1 patch?

ZeD [taken 0]

Apr 21, 2012
GrumbleGrump said:
ZeDilton said:
The nitpicking on this game, or any Bioware game, is so weird.
Yeah, it's not like they have a multi-million dollar budget and alledgedly professional animators and artists. Bad animations, terrible dialogue and voice acting is just nitpicking, guy!
Okay, if those things are nitpicking to you, then let's talk about the gameplay in the video, shall we? After all, this is a videogame. The gameplay trailer doesn't showcase any kind of interesting AI (at least, none is appreciable), to the point that some enemies just hover towards you. Yes, this might be more realistic to what a mindless drone might do, but you know what's more realistic? Getting shot in the head by a enemy a kilometer away and not being able to retry. Make them do something more interesting, make them super fast, take cover or deploy countermeasures. Instead they just stand there and shoot. Kind meaningless having so many skills available at the tip of your fingers if the game doesn't challenge you, isn't it?
The arenas don't look all that fun either. They're just chest high walls. It's level design that doesn't take into account the fact that you have a jetpack.
I wanted to wait with the reply until I was finshed with the trial.

"Nitpicking" was the wrong word. I was thinking "exaggerating".

90% of the animations are decent/good.
The ones where you zoom into the conversation are pretty bad, though, I agree. You're stiff as a board, but your lips move.
But in pretty much all of the cutscene-like convos it's standard Mass Effect. Characters move their eyes and use body language.

Main quest scenes are pretty good. They blow previous ME games out the water.

As for AI, I've never been the best judge of those. I don't really think about that too much.
But during the gameplay some ran for cover while some flanked me.
The heavier classes and melee enemies tend to go straight for you to flush you out, but they can take a beating.
Some enemies also have different abilities. It's not super varied (not yet, anyway).
Some will spawn smaller enemies until you take 'em out, some will throw smoke grenades to limit your view, some will cast regular good ol' grenades, and so on.

The combat is fantastic. It's a shame they removed some of the squad control aspects from the last games. You can still command them to defend spots, and focus their attacks, but you can't control their power use.
However, the combat flow is much improved from Mass Effect 3.

The chest high walls you saw in the trailer aren't really necessary.
I took fairly little cover when I played. The movement is so flexible this time around, you can approach the situation from anywhere really.
Get up on a cliff and snipe them, jump over the cliffs their hiding behind and shoot them from above, etc.
I'm not the most creative of players, but I had using playstyles not usually associated with ME games.

Though, I think your movement will be more restricted on higher difficulties. I lowered mine to normal so I could have a little more freedom.

I can't comment on MP yet. I think I have an hour or so left on the trial. I need to check it out.