Mass Effect - Andromeda's Main Characters Are Brother And Sister

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mass Effect - Andromeda's Main Characters Are Brother And Sister

The male and female player characters for Mass Effect will be brother and sister, rather than a gender-swapped version of the same character.

In the original Mass Effect trilogy, players assumed the role of Commander Shepard, who could be played as either a man or a woman. Mass Effect - Andromeda [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/mass%20effect%20andromeda?os=%20mass%20effect%20andromeda] will still allow players to choose their gender, but rather than simply being a gender-swapped version of the same character, the male and female PCs will be brother and sister.

The revelation came during Sony's Andromeda showcase [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5QP8KsSWXM] the other night. "We're seeing our male character, at E3 we got to see our female character. A little surprise here: These two are actually brother and sister," explained BioWare creative director Mac Walters. "They both exist in the game world at the same time. If you're playing as the female Ryder, your brother is out there somewhere in the universe."

[gallery=6469]

Additionally, the father of the Ryder siblings is someone we have already seen. "The character we saw two E3s ago, the N7, is actually your father. So we have got the full Ryder family revealed. We'll do names and things in the future."

It's an interesting way to handle having a multi-gendered main character. It means that no matter what gender you choose to play, you're still "canon".

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/08/mass-effect-andromedas-main-characters-are-brother-sister]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So...what's the Andromeda Galaxy's take on incest? ;p

Snark aside, I think this is a nice choice. At the least, it's a very different dynamic from Commander Shepard.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
So we have Dragon Age 2 all over again, where Bioware will use the other sibling as a cheap plot device?

Color me unimpressed.

(The video is nice though)

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Jumping? In Mass Effect?

WHAT WITCHCRAFT IS THIS!?!

Video looks nice. Looks like we have a ways off before we get this...

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
So it's kinda like FemHawke and BlokeHawke, just, y'know, in the same universe? Sorta? No? Moving on, then...

I don't mind one player character, or siblings. Dragon Age II dealt with sibling and family relationships quite well, so more of that wouldn't go amiss. Having connections to other principle characters is generally a good thing, and it's harder to get much more connected than family.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
So will you be able to customise them both like the husband and wife in Fallout 4? Or does it generate the other sibling's appearance based on yours?

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
I actually really like the idea of a brother and sister team. It's too bad the game designer is such a raging racist that I can't bring myself to buy or support the game.

Not sure about the father being in game, how does will work with the race and appearance of your character being mutable? In fact, will your siblings appearance change to match yours?

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I watched this video, and the first thought that jumped into my head once the family was laid out was, "Please don't be like the family in Ghosts." We have a father figure who is a bad ass, and two siblings who are no doubt dreaming of following in his footsteps and earning their own N7 ranks. This type of family story set up can get boring real quick. Here's hoping that BioWare can avoid this pitfall.

That being said, the game sure looks pretty. Would have liked to see some combat, but whatever. Still keeping my eye on it, but Mass Effect 3's ending is still burning in the back of my mind, so the excitement is not there.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Ukomba said:
I actually really like the idea of a brother and sister team. It's too bad the game designer is such a raging racist that I can't bring myself to buy or support the game.
I must have missed something...what are you referring to?

OT: Neat. Dragon Age II did sibling dynamics rather well, though I'm hoping it doesn't end quite as tragically as it did in DA II. I'm curious to see how it is handled, and if you get to fight alongside your sibling and Daddy-O.

I mean, I seem to be the only person here who was merely disappointed with ME3's ending and not still angry over it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
SlumlordThanatos said:
Ukomba said:

OT: Neat. Dragon Age II did sibling dynamics rather well, though I'm hoping it doesn't end quite as tragically as it did in DA II. I'm curious to see how it is handled, and if you get to fight alongside your sibling and Daddy-O.

I mean, I seem to be the only person here who was merely disappointed with ME3's ending and not still angry over it.
Twitter nonsense. If I were you I'd just ignore it, but I think we had a thread on it not too long ago.

OT: I actually like the concept. Still not sure if I want anything to DO with the game, but hey. It's not like I WANT it to be bad.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
SlumlordThanatos said:
Ukomba said:

I think he is referring to this: http://heatst.com/culture-wars/mass-effect-designer-manveer-heir-hates-white-people-and-wants-the-world-to-know/

Take it as you will.

Sep 14, 2009
unless the game goes back to its roots as an rpg and somehow makes me orgasm out of every orifice, they won't be getting my money after me3 happened.

I wasn't aware of the manveer heir thing, he seems like an extremely stuck up douche who is full of himself judging by those racist tweets and the tweets about the new deus ex, but I'm sure those are dime a dozen in the industry so I'm not gonna hold that against the game.

RebornKusabi

Mar 11, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Ukomba said:

I think he is referring to this: http://heatst.com/culture-wars/mass-effect-designer-manveer-heir-hates-white-people-and-wants-the-world-to-know/

Take it as you will.
Wow, what a piece of shit human being.

I'm white and I don't find racism against people that big of a deal, but some his comments are pretty bad. Surprised EA has let him get away with that, his ethnic background be damned.

My thing is that I've always been wired to judge the art not the artist, so if this gutter scum wants to be a racist asshole, well jokes on him because the game he's working on stars two white people,

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Ukomba said:

Take it as you will.
Oh well then. I know what game i wont be buying now.

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
Bro/Sis dynamic again? Taking bets folks! Who bets that the sibling you don?t play as dies during the game? I bet the sibling dies roughly 1/4th of the way through the story!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I find the family dynamic as a game mechanic to be interesting.

Geez dad! I'll bring the New Normandy back with a full tank!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They're not gonna force you to try and care about this guy/gal if you're one or the other, right? Because that worked out so well in Fallout 4.

Don't make the plot be 'I have to find my bother/sister', please.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Congratulations Bioware. You did something that I can't criticize. It's a fun little idea. I'm still never going to buy another EA game for more than $10. If I decide that it's worth playing at all. Considering how much I hate the idea of a new galaxy I'd say there's 99% chance I'll never play the damn game.