Mass Effect Anime Film in the Works

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Be interesting if they can get the official voice actors to do their respective characters. Anime movies have a long history of being as good if not usually better than their live action counterparts.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Oh dear. See, if they promised that it would be the story of Mass Effect, Commander Sheperd's struggle against the Reapers, then I would have my hopes up. Not sure how that would work, since everyone's Sheperd is different and I would be very angry if the film Sheperd did any of the really big Renegade choices, but that's the risk.

However, based on other video game films like this, it's going to be a prequel telling about the Prothains, or starring a different character who's story takes place during Sheperd's adventure, or some short stories just detailing the lives of people in the Mass Effect universe. Those may sound interesting to some, but I find that stuff boring. The reason I love all my Star Wars books dated After the Battle of Yavin is because the characters I know and love are the stars of said books, not random Storm Trooper number 73.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Hey as long as there's not 90 minutes of people screaming and powering up then I'm fine with it.

Seriously I would love to see one on Garrus. He's the biggest bad ass of the series and lord knows I want to see his exploits on Omega.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
I bet Madhouse would do it.

Madhouse would be all over that thing like white on rice.

White rice. Not brown rice.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I just hope that this doesn't follow Shepard in any way shape or form.

And that any characters from the game that appear in the anime are voiced by their original VAs. *crosses fingers for Kaidan to appear*

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Android2137 said:
You know, I actually had a crazy idea about Mass Effect as a high school love comedy. Miranda would be a cheerleader, Ashley and Jacob would be athletes, Wrex the PE teacher, Zaeed the rambling history teacher, and Legion a math teacher who wears gag glasses [http://images.thingsyouneverknew.com/images/products/en_us/detail/p883.jpg] in a weak attempt to disguise themselves.
That actually sounds...really awesome. I pictured Legion with those glasses, needs to be DLC now!

Spartan054

Jan 27, 2010
lets hope they acctully keep to the stroy this time and not make it another anti war preach like they did halo legend: Origins. But still looks promiseing

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
my first response: *snicker*

the ME universe has been getting real iffy for me lately, and an anime crossover is definitely NOT the thing that will change that. why? because halo did it? perhaps if it only covers backstory that we KNOW happened, like the first contact war, companion backstories, maybe the last days of the protheans...because i really dont care for another story taking place in the shadow of the great commander shepard, non-descript human of variable gender who did things so important that no one ever discusses them in any detail...

that, or they go the DA2 route and just retcon any possible player decisions that are inconvenient to them, which is, of course, worse.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
I'm going to be more excited than warranted for this. 3.2.1. AHHHHHHH! Now I'm going to watch batman under the red hood.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
RollForInitiative said:
Here's hoping they at least get a good, Japanese studio to do the work, like Bones or Kyoto Animation. North Americans tend to fuck up when trying to emulate the anime style.
Or they could, you know, hire a good North American studio that has nothing to do with Anime. After I saw the trailers that Blur put out for The Old Republic and Mass Effect 2, I'm convinced someone needs to hire them to make a full length CGI movie. Those guys are incredible.

I'd like to see a Mass Effect film set during the Skyllian Blitz. Batarians versus Humans motherfuckers!

Kumomaru

May 21, 2008
Shepard will not work for this movie. Quite simply because he/she is built by the player.

First Contact War, skyllian Blitz, maybe even some Cerberus antics... oooh! Rachni wars! ^^

Whatever the case, they've got plenty to work with, and they shouldn't use Shepard.

Kalabrikan

Jun 10, 2010
I'd be interested in a small miniseries where each character gets their own episode and we get to see some of their adventures prior to becoming part of Shepherd's team.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Anime? like brightly colored skin tones, green hair, and big sparkly eye anime? Not what I expected at all. At least when I hear the term "anime" that comes to mind.

Also, with the whole customization of Shepard in place... gah never mind. Shepard's obviously male. and it's not like his background and class is going to matter much..

ZiggyE

Nov 13, 2010
mysecondlife said:
Anime? like brightly colored skin tones, green hair, and big sparkly eye anime? Not what I expected at all. At least when I hear the term "anime" that comes to mind.
If that's all you think anime is then you are sadly misguided.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
ZiggyE said:
mysecondlife said:
If that's all you think anime is then you are sadly misguided.
not sadly. but misguided if you say so, since I can't be the best judge of anime. my apologies if you're offended

ExplosionProofTaco

Nov 13, 2008
Tali: "HELLO SHEPARD-SAN! LET GO SAVE GALAXY FOR EVIL LORD COLLECTOR OF DOOM DESU DESU! ULTIMA POWER!"

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
The idea of having a movie tie-in that uses Shepard can only cause problems. Why? Because of his/her appearance. I don't know if there's a majority saying what sex is most played, but I'm guessing people have really diverse options for the various Shepards out there, what with Galactic records being unable to maintain a picture or even statement about his/her sex for very long.

If Shepard is not involved, I could see it being pretty awesome.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
I'd like to see a Mass Effect film set during the Skyllian Blitz. Batarians versus Humans motherfuckers!
With a War Hero Shepard or the default Earthborn/Sole Survivor Shepard (i.e. he won't show up at all)?

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Chrono212 said:
In all honesty, after playing through The Arrivel yesterday, I'd like to see more Mass Effect universe.
But (big but) it better not pull a Halo: Legends. Not that it was bad, it was just a bit 'off' from the established universe, if one could legitimately 'know' the universe...

In unrelated opinions: Why not use western animation (not 3D)? Or does it not exist any more? :/
"Western animation" tends to mean western writers who contract out to a Japanese studio. They do the art, but all the grunt work is done by studios overseas. It's just easier that way, since the industry is far more developed there, and has been for many decades.

Anyway, I'm much more excited about this idea than the live action idea that was floating around for a long time. Mass Effect is already like a movie, but removing all the extra good bits from it to turn it into a feature for mass market appeal would just make it a generic space opera. A more direct marketing approach will allow them to make some assumptions on how much the audience knows, so we can hopefully avoid some head slapping moments.