Mass Effect being blamed for Connecticut shooting.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Even I "like" Mass Effect on Facebook.

I HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED MASS EFFECT

I DON'T EVEN ACTUALLY LIKE MASS EFFECT

WHAT THE FUCK IS A SONIC

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
I think this is retarded. I am willing to bet that the shooter has been to McDonalds in his time. I'd actually be willing to bit that everyone who has ever started a major shooting has been to McDonalds. Why don't we boycott McDonalds for encouraging school shootings?

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
Jesus Christ. It's honestly no surprise that the game industry is coping the blame AGAIN, because it happens everytime a Teenager/Young Adult goes on a shooting rampage that kills people. At this point, you may as well expect EVERY shooting to be related to Violent Video games. Even if this argument were true (It isn't), you can't blame the company for someone grabbing a gun and killing people, because that was HIS choice, not Biowares. And whilst I do think this is a tragedy, we can't just go blaming a game that has most likely not caused this. Maybe y'know the shooter was suffering from mental illness.

If those posters on Facebook had ANY human decency/intelligence, they'd wait; to give the families time to grieve, and to give time for Investigators to Investigate.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
Eh, I see no point in overreacting to this kind of blame, mainly because I have no actual proof those posts are real, and if you look on the Mass Effect Facebook page right now you can see overwhelming amounts of common sense and decency in response to these wild accusations.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Feb 9, 2009
New Jersey
Country
United States
BioWare just can't catch a break can they?

Just let it blow over, antagonizing the people who are blaming the game will only exacerbate things.

aoi287

Jan 25, 2010
Yes, a video game caused this to happen. That's why the millions of other people who have played Mass Effect also committed terrible acts of violence such as this.

Oh wait.

And what's with all these people acting like idiots on facebook? I thought being anonymous was the trigger to unleashing your inner asshole, not using your real name.

TheCommanders

ohmygodimonfire
Nov 30, 2011
The amount of stupidity that would cause people to distribute blame indiscriminately on a video game played by the BROTHER of the shooter... it literally causes parts of my brain to short out... Fuck this country.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Queen Michael said:
schtingah said:
I must have missed the part where he assembeled a team of followers, had long interactions conversations with random people and bought some fish on the way there.
Is this a pop culture reference?
Its just references to certain elements of the game, since you get an aquarium you can buy fish for in 2 and 3, the game is squad focused (and in all 3 games you add new people to the squad if you so desire), and there are expansive dialogue trees, even for random NPCs you have never seen before.

But yeah, it is saddening how people always seek something to blame everything on in a time of tragedy. I just hope it blows over before people take further rash action based on horrific misinformation, so nothing more can be added to the tragedy.

God, I cant imagine what it will be like for the kids and teachers who saw this in the school, this guy who got confused for his murderer of a brother, and the families of the deceased. No parent ever wants to outlive their child, and for them to be taken so young, before you think they are ever in any real danger.... I cant even begin to imagine.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
People will look for any scapegoat they can find, whether it be gun control laws, or blaming violent video games. The stupidity is just starting here.

Right before this happened there was an elementary school stabbing I was reading about where like 20+ kids got slashed by some maniac who went berserk in China. It kind of demonstrates that availibility of firearms, popularity of "shooter" video games, and other things have nothing to do with it. People are going to find ways to do this kind of crap if they decide to for whatever reason.

http://www.voanews.com/content/man-stabs-22-children-at-chinese-elementary-school/1564820.html

I've heard as many as 33 in some cases.

At any rate, it seems to be largely overlooked due to the American tradgegy right now, which I guess makes sense since less people seemed to die in China, and the media and such there is very draconian to prevent these kinds of circuses.

The conspiricy theorist and horror fan in me has been looking for some kind of connection due to the coincidence, but I haven't been able to come up with any workable theories.

The overall point is, the anti-video game loons will use their favorite whipping boy to vent frustration over any tradgegy. As will the naive anti-gun proponents when a firearm is used, ignoring that firearms don't really matter to these cases (not even making it easier or happening more often, school stabblings like this have happened a lot in China, looking into it I've found articles going back to like 2010 about these kinds of rampages... and this is despite the Bamboo Curtain, making me think it happens even more frequently).

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Zhukov said:
I hear the killer's sister-in-law once mentioned that she liked to eat cornflakes for breakfast.

BAN THIS SICK FILTH, POISONING THE MINDS OF OUR CHILDREN WITH THEIR WHEATY EVIL!!!
All murderers have been known to drink water at one point in their life!

[HEADING=1]BAN ALL THE WATER!!![/HEADING]

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Kungfu_Teddybear said:
So I'm sure most of you are aware of the shooting in Connecticut that left 18 children and 7 adults dead. Well it seems now, going by this image, that Mass Effect is somehow being blamed.

Now, I just saw this image on Tumblr, so I've not got a story on how Mass Effect has come to be blamed other than the shooter being a fan of Mass Effect judging by the likes on his Facebook page. But I wanted to bring this to your attention. What are your thoughts on this?
It shows you that just because people don't have chimp bodies, doesn't mean they don't have chimp brains.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
TheCinnamonBun said:
thats right blame it on the game, it totally has nothing to do with your country's stupid lack of gun control
the gun control isnt BAD per se, its just poorly enforced and has a couple of big loopholes. However, short of amending away that second amendment of the bill of rights, people will never go for it off of sheer stubbornness and habit, and a healthy dose of fear mongering that if we ban guns or strictly regulate them, dissenters will be rounded up and slaughtered like some of the old oppressive regimes did (that is seriously an argument people have). But to amend it we need their support anyway, so its not going to happen. Seriously, stubbornness and tradition hold back so much good shit in this world its infuriating. That and greed. Greed sucks. I wish streetcars were still a thing, but nooooooooooooooooooooooooo the damn automotive companies had to ruin that way back when in the early 20th century (allegedly).

but all of this is ultimately fruitless argument. tons of things may have allowed him or influenced his desire or ability to do such a terrible thing, but they are just anecdotes to the greater questions here, Why did he do this? and How can we stop it from happening again?

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
Vault101 said:
why are they blaming Mass Effect? why not COD? ME3 came out ageis ago...I'm not syaing COD is responsible (duh) but for thease idiots it seems the more likley target

anway my opinion on the matter

HAHAHAHA THE STUPID INFECTED MY BRAIN TURNED IT TO MUSH AND NOW ITS ALL OVER MY KEYBORAD!!

[img/]http://captionsearch.com/pix/eib8slsgc6.gif[/img]
Pretty much agree with this.

There is so much fail involved in this it isn't even funny. Wrong person, a game promoting peace, pretty much monsters for enemies... I would swear that the ones who started this did so sarcastically, was taken seriously and then the stupidity feed itself with yet another misguided scapegoating moral crusade.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Therumancer said:
As will the naive anti-gun proponents when a firearm is used, ignoring that firearms don't really matter to these cases (not even making it easier or happening more often, school stabblings like this have happened a lot in China, looking into it I've found articles going back to like 2010 about these kinds of rampages... and this is despite the Bamboo Curtain, making me think it happens even more frequently).
True, stabbings do happen quite a bit, but you cannot deny that guns do not make these incidents more deadly. Guns are very good at what they are intended to do, make it incredibly simple and skill-independent to kill a large number of people in rapid succession. IF the elementary school killer tried this shit with a knife, well it probably would have had a smaller death toll. Yes the guys with knives are capable of hurting as many ore more than the shooters, but they have failed to KILL as many.

I dont want to get into a pro/anti gun debate, since this is not the point of this thread nor is it constructive or beneficial in any way since neither of us will convince the other should we be on opposing sides. All i want to say is that you really cannot deny that firearms do make such things easier and deadlier to do, since all you need to do is point and pull a trigger, and someone will die if you hit them properly.

BNguyen

Mar 10, 2009
this whole argument on ME causing the shooting is about the same as this:
"Hey, the shooter liked breathing, therefore breathing must have led to him wanting to kill those 26 people. People who breathe and support breathing are therefore evil because the killer loved to breathe."

or

"people with guns are more likely to kill than those without guns, so let's ban guns" or even better "people crash more often by driving fast, so let's ban fast cars. But all cars are capable of killing at any speed above 1 mph. Well then, let's ban all cars."

the sense of these people is so non-existent that it's amazing they managed to type "Facebook" on a keyboard

Jan 27, 2011
I want to track down each of these people and say "Games don't kill people, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE. If you don't agree with that then I ASSUME you also think the guns are at fault, too, right?"

This is just plain retarded. I'm sorry.

Also, this poor kid's life is fucked. Even if they make a full on media apology and say "it wasn't him, it was his brother", he will forever be marked as "the shooter" even though he didn't do it. This is not how fucking social media is supposed to be used. *frustrated rant*

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Scared, angry people grasp at straws to impose a sense of order into something completely senseless. This isn't the manipulative, calculated propaganda of a Jack Thompson type, this a desperate bid for a comprehensible narrative by a mass of well intentioned, dim armchair grievers.

The inevitable finger pointing can be dissected and criticized until the cows come home when it comes. But this should be ignored for what it is: Senseless, meaningless, HARMLESS ramblings by confused people.