Mass Effect Marathon Launches Suicide Mission For Child's Play

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass Effect Marathon Launches Suicide Mission For Child's Play

Not content with just saving the galaxy, Commander Shepard is going to blow the weekend doing a solid for charity.

The "videogame marathon for charity" scene is pretty well dominated this week by last year [http://www.desertbus.org], and since the original event in November 2010 the Mass Effect Marathons have raised nearly $50,000 for the charity.

The Mass Effect Marathon 3 is actually a two-parter: The group spent October 20 playing the original Mass Effect plus Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station, but this weekend will be considerably more hardcore, dedicated to both Mass Effect 2 and 3 in their entirety. As usual with this sort of thing, the G33kWatchers will undertake various stunts and challenges, and hold raffles and live auctions for some seriously fantastic Mass Effect stuff including the Xbox 360 console on which every Mass Effect Marathon has been played (complete with a "so far, so good" guarantee) and a full suit of custom-sized N7 body armor. Viewers can vote on Shepard's "big decisions," and donation goals will determine who lives and who dies in the infamous suicide Mission.

The Mass Effect Marathon 3 is underway now and scheduled to run until 6:00 pm EST on November 25. Catch the action at masseffectmarathon.com [http://www.masseffectmarathon.com].

Thanks to shado_temple [www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/shado_temple] for the tip.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
"Viewers can vote on Shepard's "big decisions," and donation goals will determine who lives and who dies in the infamous suicide Mission."

Threatening to kill off Tali would probably get them enough money to solve world hunger and develop the cure for cancer and AIDS.

Ziggy

Jul 13, 2010
Imre Csete said:
Viewers can vote on Shepard's "big decisions,"
Pick red, pick red, for the love of god pick red. Because it's the biggest decision in the game

benf2004

Mar 5, 2011
The marathon is actually scheduled to end around 6:00 PM EST on Sunday: http://masseffectmarathon.com/schedule/

The exact ending time will depend on how long it takes them to play through the games, though. Viewers (this means you) can donate to make a mission more difficult (insanity difficulty, using bad companions, playing blindfolded, having to play looking in a mirror, etc.).

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
benf2004 said:
The marathon is actually scheduled to end around 6:00 PM EST on Sunday: http://masseffectmarathon.com/schedule/
So it is, thanks for the correction. I misunderstood the header on the MEM website. Post has been updated to reflect the proper ending time.

Nihlus2

Feb 8, 2011
The last 30-40 min of that stream (depending on how long it takes for them to pick an ending / get through all the cutscenes) is gonna be a pure rifftrack. Calling it now.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Good luck figuring out the Suicide Mission flow chart. S'all I'm saying XP

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Oh so when they do a Childs play it's fine, but when we did the re-take ME3 Ending (Which for those who remember started off with donations that was going for charity) Suddenly, we're "Entitled brats"

Funny how things work.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
VincentX3 said:
Oh so when they do a Childs play it's fine, but when we did the re-take ME3 Ending (Which for those who remember started off with donations that was going for charity) Suddenly, we're "Entitled brats"

Funny how things work.
Wow, I'm amazed you even came up with the idea to make that comparison.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
It'd be more interesting if they gave all the choices to people who had never played the game before and had to make decisions based on just the immediate context. I once did a dummy run-through of the suicide mission letting my young cousin (who knew almost nothing about the game) to decide who would do what.

He ended up saving everyone except for Garrus and Tali, which was kind of tragic in a way. He was just glad that Legion got through, since robot men are the coolest thing ever when you're 11.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
VincentX3 said:

Funny how things work.
Are you fucking serious?
You cannot be serious.

OT: Yay for charity, I guess. I've sadly had Bioware exhaustion as of late.

Burnhardt

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 13, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
VincentX3 said:

Funny how things work.
You forget that the "Entitled brats" part came about when people started asking for their donations back when Re-take did nothing in the long run.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
That title was cut in a very jarring manner on the main page as it displayed for me...

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Well, good for them. Let's just hope there aren't any... unpleasant issues... this time around...

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
VincentX3 said:

Funny how things work.
Are you fucking serious?
You cannot be serious.

OT: Yay for charity, I guess. I've sadly had Bioware exhaustion as of late.
Yes I'm serious. I don't tend to joke with these things.
I mean, I'm all good for charitys, but in this case read below.

Burnhardt said:
VincentX3 said:

Funny how things work.
You forget that the "Entitled brats" part came about when people started asking for their donations back when Re-take did nothing in the long run.
That I did not know though, I thought I read that the donations still went to charitiy in the long run.
No wonder about being called brats >:7
It takes some kind of balls and being pathetic to ask for charity money to be returned to you.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
VincentX3 said:

Funny how things work.
You know, im pretty sure the MEM was going on before ME3 even came out...

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
How the hell is Ashley the top-sponsored character by $500?? I thought everyone hated her.

Oh well. This is cool. I support this kind of charity! Though, honestly, this doesn't quite have the novelty of Desert Bus for Hope.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
What? Again? Well, that's cool and all, but I have no monies for anything else after DB6. Maybe gaming charities for Child's Play are "Sooooo innn" right now.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
darthzew said:
How the hell is Ashley the top-sponsored character by $500?? I thought everyone hated her.
she gets quite some hate, yes, but I think the true ME3 hate chick is Diana Allers
MORE LIKE DIANA SAGGERS AM'A RITE!?

OT: really feel like I should've seen about this before throwing all my money to the screen with the Steam Sale window open =P