Mass Effect Movie: No Femshep, no Seth Green, Original Story.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
YesConsiderably said:
So... what... it should feature a female Shepard and risk alienating the 60 percent of the fanbase that prefers him?

Some of the most self entitled gamers i've had the displeasure of dealing with are ardent femshep fans.
yeah that made 100% no sense when he said 40 percent femshep lovers...which i'm sure is much less actually, it's just all the people who die for femshep are the most vocal bunch out of all gamers out there.

OT: It's a movie, take it or leave it, it does not affect the games in any shape or form, there is no reason to get so mad over it.

these are all small tidbits when the movie hasn't even started production, so calm down there. jeesh, you might just surprise yourself and enjoy the movie if you don't be such a fucking deadbeat critic.
Despite my earlier pessimistic comment, I do agree with this. There's no way to know how good the film will be, and even if it sucks, big deal. The games won't retroactively suck by association.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
RatRace123 said:
will feature an original story rather than adapting the plotline from the game
As someone who thought the story in the game was pretty bad, I don't see this as a point against a Mass Effect movie.

But since this thread seems to (mostly) be about Seth Green not playing Joker, at least I can agree that that is definitely balls. His character and performance were one of the few things I liked about the original game.

Victor Burgos

Aug 20, 2010
Well, at least it will be a male Shepard. I wouldn't go see it if it weren't. Also Original story might me his origin, I wouldn't mind seeing that. Maybe, in the best case scenario, they throw out Shepard altogether and make it about the First Contact War! That would be better, IMO. I really don't need or want to see Shep in a Mass Effect movie, but if i have to, I'm glad it is male Shepard.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I'm not surprised about the FemShep thing (though disappointed) but no Seth Green? That's messed up. I won't see it.

Personally, I think they shouldn't have it about Shepard at all. Captain Anderson or Garrus might be cool, though. I think I would like that more.

Skoldpadda

Jan 13, 2010
Who gives a shit, it's a video game adaption. Pretend it doesn't happen. You'll be much happier for it.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Mass Effect's ideas around telling a story rely a lot on interaction and the ability to make a choice. How exactly is that going to work in a movie?

Oh yeah, it won't. This'll be getting a pass from me if it ever comes out.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
gmaverick019 said:
OT: It's a movie, take it or leave it, it does not affect the games in any shape or form, there is no reason to get so mad over it.

these are all small tidbits when the movie hasn't even started production, so calm down there. jeesh, you might just surprise yourself and enjoy the movie if you don't be such a fucking deadbeat critic.
To you, good sir, I say nay. If I wasn't so critical this matter wouldn't have gotten as much attention.
I'm not as mad as I came off in the initial post, and I will try to enjoy the film when it comes out. I just felt like sharing what I thought was a stupid oversight in terms of casting among other details of an upcoming film. The sensationalist aspect was, simply a ploy to help motivate discussion, and nothing motivates like being pissed off at something.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
CkretAznMan said:
I would have liked an original story in the same universe. So, yeah. Go FemShep.
Same here. But I guess they were desperate to use Commander Shepard on the movie poster. I understand that. I don't approve, but I understand.

Purplecoyote

Feb 10, 2010
Everyone has their own Shepard, it's stupid just to pick one and give him/her one personality. Even a little disrespecting towards the series. I wonder if they are going to make him a renegade or a paragon though...

You know, the second Mass Effect book would make for a great movie. It has action, a hot chick, mystery, and it further explores the life of Quarians and Biotic children. Also if they would put a bit of the third book into it, Anderson being an effing badass.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
RobotZombieNinja said:
I'm more disappointed that the movie isn't about the best character...

BLASTO THE JELLYFISH!!!!!
This one's heat sink is almost at capacity. This one wonders if the victim considers himself fortunate.

Czargent Sane

May 31, 2010
if there is one thing in the universe that will torture me into a supervillain, its will be this movie. this movie will be -evil- you mark my words, its shadow shall weigh as a cloud of Doom and its hate shall pursue us to the ends of the world. this movie will -rape your heart- and kill you. kill you to death.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
This movie sounds more and more like a generic space opera with every new development.

Bored of it. Not interested. Probably wont see it.

Sep 14, 2009
Hides His Eyes said:
gmaverick019 said:
YesConsiderably said:
So... what... it should feature a female Shepard and risk alienating the 60 percent of the fanbase that prefers him?

Some of the most self entitled gamers i've had the displeasure of dealing with are ardent femshep fans.
yeah that made 100% no sense when he said 40 percent femshep lovers...which i'm sure is much less actually, it's just all the people who die for femshep are the most vocal bunch out of all gamers out there.

Despite my earlier pessimistic comment, I do agree with this. There's no way to know how good the film will be, and even if it sucks, big deal. The games won't retroactively suck by association.
i can understand where your coming with, as the potential is there, but i try to dissociate the movie title with what the movie actually holds until i see the movie myself, so i don't go into it with any preconceptions that might make me hype the movie up. which is why i highly enjoyed prince of persia, the resident of evil movies, and even street fighter.

Sep 14, 2009
RatRace123 said:
gmaverick019 said:

To you, good sir, I say nay. If I wasn't so critical this matter wouldn't have gotten as much attention.
I'm not as mad as I came off in the initial post, and I will try to enjoy the film when it comes out. I just felt like sharing what I thought was a stupid oversight in terms of casting among other details of an upcoming film. The sensationalist aspect was, simply a ploy to help motivate discussion, and nothing motivates like being pissed off at something.
yeah fair enough, i will agree to that

and i will say, the whole seth green not being cast as joker is...disappointing. he is obviously the voice and LOOKS like joker even, so i don't see why that isn't an automatic duh, but still..hollywood will be hollywood, if someone knows the right person and hates another person, the movie can go to shits in any aspect.

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
Hides His Eyes said:
gmaverick019 said:
YesConsiderably said:

i can understand where your coming with, as the potential is there, but i try to dissociate the movie title with what the movie actually holds until i see the movie myself, so i don't go into it with any preconceptions that might make me hype the movie up. which is why i highly enjoyed prince of persia, the resident of evil movies, and even street fighter.
Yeah, I don't think there's any reason to dislike a film adaptation of anything (game, book or true story) purely because it's not true to the source material. What pisses me off is when it's a generic, average, uninteresting film based on brilliant source material. And that's made worse when there's nothing or precious little even kept in there from the source (like Final Fantasy: Spirits Within), because that just makes it so painfully obvious that the only use the filmmakers have for the source material is the recognisable name. The brand, in other words. It's anathema to my arty sensibilities.

On the other hand, it also annoys me when people say a bad film adaptation "ruined" a book or game for them. It's not ruined, it's still there, perfectly intact.

Sep 14, 2009
Hides His Eyes said:
gmaverick019 said:
Hides His Eyes said:
gmaverick019 said:
YesConsiderably said:

Yeah, I don't think there's any reason to dislike a film adaptation of anything (game, book or true story) purely because it's not true to the source material. What pisses me off is when it's a generic, average, uninteresting film based on brilliant source material. And that's made worse when there's nothing or precious little even kept in there from the source (like Final Fantasy: Spirits Within), because that just makes it so painfully obvious that the only use the filmmakers have for the source material is the recognisable name. The brand, in other words. It's anathema to my arty sensibilities.

On the other hand, it also annoys me when people say a bad film adaptation "ruined" a book or game for them. It's not ruined, it's still there, perfectly intact.
fair enough,i makes sense on what you say.

and yeah, agreed, the game/book has always been there, hasn't changed one bit, it is very facepalm worthy when people whine to death about that kind of stuff..

Hides His Eyes

Jul 26, 2011
gmaverick019 said:
Hides His Eyes said:
gmaverick019 said:
YesConsiderably said:

So for me it's not exactly about having expectations that are too high, more about expectations regarding the content. If I go to see a film with the words Final Fantasy in the title, I expect to see magic, silly hairstyles, big yellow birds and an eclectic group of interesting heroes battling hordes of bizarre enemies in beautifully realised environments. Not a totally generic sci-fi action film that happens to have a dude named Cid in it.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Skytterish said:
...This mistake would be the equivalent to casting Bruce Willis as Jack, very little cannot go wrong.
An incredibly angry, butch, bald dude? Nah, that sounds about right for Jack.