Mass Effect to See New Downloadable Content

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Mass Effect to See New Downloadable Content

Electronic Arts recently announced a sequel to BioWare's si-fi epic, but the Canadian developer isn't done with the original just yet.

The universe of sequel [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect] as well, scheduled for an early 2010 release for both the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles.

Now, thanks to the folks at Cinemablend [http://www.cinemablend.com/games/NYCC-Mass-Effect-PC-Patch-By-April-15104.html], we're learning that BioWare's plans for Commander Sheppard's original adventure won't end with the upcoming PC patch, but a new piece of downloadable content. While no details were revealed, a BioWare representative, speaking at New York Comic Con, confirmed that a new downloadable episode will be making its way to the original Mass Effect.

It's been quite some time since players have seen any new content to the original game. The first and only downloadable episode, "Bring Down the Sky," was released in July 2008, and brought only about 90 minutes worth of new gameplay to the (roughly) 16 hour long original game. Not a whole lot for those who found themselves quite attached to the carefully crafted universe, so hopefully, this new batch of content will satiate those players.

Via: Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57147]

ChocoCake

Nov 23, 2008
Well I guess that's good news. I was hoping that maybe they were moving up the release date of Mass Effect 2, but that's just wishful thinking I suppose.

Definitely hope the new DLC will be better then "Bringing Down the Sky", I just expected it to be more, I guess.

ellimist337

Sep 30, 2008
I mean, I'm not going to complain about extra gameplay but I am more excited for Mass Effect 2 by far than I am about really any DLC for the first one.

Jul 9, 2008
ChocoCake said:
Well I guess that's good news. I was hoping that maybe they were moving up the release date of Mass Effect 2, but that's just wishful thinking I suppose.

Definitely hope the new DLC will be better then "Bringing Down the Sky", I just expected it to be more, I guess.
I actually like BDTS. It had the only not-so-clear-cut moral choice in the whole game, and the only one which made me actually stop and think "damn...what do I do?"

I'm pretty excited for this though, it gives me another excuse to beat ME for the 9th (seriously, I counted) time and should satiate my appetite for ME until the sequel.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Sweeet. Mass Effect is a great game - some more DLC will probably get me to dust it off and throw it back in the Xbox for another play-through.

Jul 9, 2008
ThaBenMan said:
Sweeet. Mass Effect is a great game - some more DLC will probably get me to dust it off and throw it back in the Xbox for another play-through.
Hell, I love the game so much, I'd start it up again just to see my favorite cinematic [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Pr5imIG2Y&feature=related] (favorite because it's so chilling).

dooner11

Aug 14, 2008
This is somewhat off-topic but i dont want to start a thread for this one little question:
What did you think of the mass effect DLC? I have always wondered if i should get it. Is it worth it?

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
orannis62 said:
ThaBenMan said:
Hell, I love the game so much, I'd start it up again just to see my favorite cinematic [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Pr5imIG2Y&feature=related] (favorite because it's so chilling).
Yeah, that was a great part (poor guy :/). Such an awesome game... I can't wait for ME2!

Jul 9, 2008
dooner11 said:
This is somewhat off-topic but i dont want to start a thread for this one little question:
What did you think of the mass effect DLC? I have always wondered if i should get it. Is it worth it?
Yeah. Not very long, but a lot of fun. As I said earlier, it had the only truly difficult choice in the game. You couldn't just stop and think "Well, what's the good choice and what's the evil choice?" because there was neither. It was shades of gray to the extreme (if that makes sense).

Aperama

Oct 19, 2008
dooner11 said:
Imagine a great game. I mean, a good game, even. A game that you really enjoy, and works really well, and everything about it just makes you want to play it more.

Now, imagine that same game, with all of the same appeal.. only, now, every time you play it, it crashes your system three times on average a day's playtime, and I'm saying if the playtime is two hours.

The DLC completely breaks the game. No shit. This isn't just me, this is everyone on the Bioware forums too. The patch, at that. The DLC itself I liked - the actual content - but the truth of it is, it's not good enough to have the game broken for its content... at least, if you're talking for the PC.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
On behalf of PC gamers everywhere, I would like to take this moment to point and laugh at Xbox 360 owners who had to pay for Bring Down the Sky.

---> HA HA.

Back to the matter at hand, this is pretty awesome news. I'm still working my way through the early stages of the game but so far it's been pretty damn great. It's just like Knights of the Old Republic except I don't have to put up with the idiotic setting.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
It's good that they've released when they're planning to ship ME2. I'm really looking forward to it.
orannis62 said:
ChocoCake said:

I actually like BDTS. It had the only not-so-clear-cut moral choice in the whole game, and the only one which made me actually stop and think "damn...what do I do?"
Spoilers in white text.

What about The Rachni? Whichever choice you made had the pros and cons, similtaneously being good and evil for both.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Huh. When I installed BDTS and the associated patch, the game became basically unplayable for me, crashing every 10 minutes or less. I'm not sure I'm willing to risk another add-on.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
RedMenace said:
The main question is:

Will my male protagonist be able to bone Tali?
This is without a doubt the single biggest flaw in the game.

I nurtured that relationship for nothing.

As far as garrus, tho, they have carbs on their amino acids. Think toxic spooge.

Jul 9, 2008
Johnn Johnston said:
It's good that they've released when they're planning to ship ME2. I'm really looking forward to it.
orannis62 said:
ChocoCake said:

Spoilers in white text.

What about The Rachni? Whichever choice you made had the pros and cons, similtaneously being good and evil for both.
Yeah, to commit genocide or not, tough choice./sacrasm