Mass Grave of Over 200 Children Found at Former Canadian Residential School

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
215 bodies of Indigenous children were found in a mass grave last weekend on the grounds of a British Columbia school set up as a residential school to assimilate Indigenous people.

Chief Rosanne Casimir of the Tk’emlups te Secwepemc First Nation, according to The New York Times, announced on Friday that ground-penetrating radar had discovered the remains near the site of the Kamloops Indian Residential School.

“It’s a harsh reality and it’s our truth, it’s our history,” Chief Casimir said. “And it’s something that we’ve always had to fight to prove. To me, it’s always been a horrible, horrible history.”

This revelation has, once again, highlighted the dark legacy that Canada has when it comes to its treatment of First Nations people. The Indian residential school system was set up by the government and administrated by Christian churches who were looking to “kill the Indian” by assimilation into European traditions and committing a cultural genocide of Indigenous traditions.

Residential schools forcibly removed children, by the hundreds of thousands, from their families and subjected many to physical and sexual abuse. The generational trauma of these events has been seen in communities today, but this trauma is not in the distant past. While the first residential school was set up in 1828, the last school didn’t close until 1996. Anyone older than 25 years old grew up with the horrible vestiges of this imperialism and cultural genocide still beating.

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Remember, these things were running into the 90’s. I was alive while the Canadian government was still killing the Indian to save the child. Learning about what colonialism really was through the history of Native Americans was the most important part of my teenage years, this shit was and still is constant. Every Canadian official involved should be tried at The Hague.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Remember, these things were running into the 90’s. I was alive while the Canadian government was still killing the Indian to save the child.
To add to that, that's just when it was officially running. The attitude didn't evaporate when the policy came to an end, a lot of people still think and act that sort of way.

Reactions: Seanchaidh

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America

Reactions: Revnak

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Your article is bombarding me with ads for soft Yaoi.
i'm not actually sure precisely what that means, but I hope you enjoy!

edit: it's the 'soft' part that's throwing me, to be clear

Last edited:
Reactions: Leg End

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
i'm not actually sure precisely what that means, but I hope you enjoy!

edit: it's the 'soft' part that's throwing me, to be clear
Softcore, whatever. I assumed it would be obvious. I don’t like the whole word softcore. It feels wrong.
That's just because of your search history.
There’s nowhere near that much incriminating information in my Google search history.

Reactions: BrawlMan

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Remember, these things were running into the 90’s. I was alive while the Canadian government was still killing the Indian to save the child. Learning about what colonialism really was through the history of Native Americans was the most important part of my teenage years, this shit was and still is constant. Every Canadian official involved should be tried at The Hague.
That's because religion doesn't give a shit about the actual lives of people, they only care about the "soul" and the pocket books of the people under their "care."

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
That's because religion doesn't give a shit about the actual lives of people, they only care about the "soul" and the pocket books of the people under their "care."
Howling at the idea the problem here boils down to Catholicism. The “Father of Canada” setup the system and many of the worst abuses happened under the direct oversight of the Canadian government, while all of it has been excused and covered up by that same government. The problem isn’t religion, it’s colonialism.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Howling at the idea the problem here boils down to Catholicism. The “Father of Canada” setup the system and many of the worst abuses happened under the direct oversight of the Canadian government, while all of it has been excused and covered up by that same government. The problem isn’t religion, it’s colonialism.
I'm pretty damn certain their religious views about heathens directly contributed to them treating those children as horribly as they did. The fact that they were government employees just meant they made it official. If your reason for treating someone like shit is based on your religion, then the religion is the problem. Whether you do it as an individual, or a group. All that changes in that regard, is the scale of the atrocity.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I'm pretty damn certain their religious views about heathens directly contributed to them treating those children as horribly as they did. The fact that they were government employees just meant they made it official. If your reason for treating someone like shit is based on your religion, then the religion is the problem. Whether you do it as an individual, or a group. All that changes in that regard, is the scale of the atrocity.
They weren’t killing Indians to save their souls, they were killing them for productivity. For the almighty dollar and the land to spend it in. This issue isn’t reconciled because you’ve advanced beyond the backwards thinking of some pedophilic priests, it’s reconciled when what is stolen is returned, what is broken is repaired. The problem is not fanciful ideals or the lack thereof, but the material theft and the “greed” behind it. It’s not a moral lesson for you or anyone, it’s an ongoing tragedy.

So yeah, blaming the Catholic Church you’re not a part of which has zero authority to make this right is funny to me. Absurd really. Trudeau is actively spending hundreds of millions in court against suits brought forward by native nations, but the Catholic mindset is the problem.

Jesus
Christ

Reactions: Satinavian

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
They weren’t killing Indians to save their souls, they were killing them for productivity.
That's not mutually exclusive, though. Of course, I rather doubt that killing people to save souls or due to their race would have become a thing if there weren't dollar signs to be had if it became a thing. But it has become a thing.

Reactions: MrCalavera

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Of course, I rather doubt that killing people to save souls or due to their race would have become a thing if there weren't dollar signs to be had if it became a thing.
I would not actively jump to the conclusion that children were killed in the deliberate sense you're making it sound like. 200 dead over like a century of time, during which there was at least one pandemic where indigenous people were hit hard and schools were used as extended hospital space is not really that shocking. It's pretty well documented that when people asked the Canadian government for more funding for the schools, they insisted that funding was tied to the number of students and sent them sick children to justify the funds. Underfunded, overcrowded residential schools full of sick kids leads to mass death. Those are not circumstances the people operating the schools, Catholic or not, created for themselves. And they are much more likely the cause of mass death than imagining a Catholic School teacher beating children until they die.

Yes, I have all the Catholic bias in the world. I'm aware of that. But here's my perspective of the issue of mandatory residential schools for indigenous children in both the US and Canada. Catholic missionaries set up schools near reservations the same way they set up schools and hospitals all over the world. They were not kidnapping projects, they were not murdering people, they were established as missionary work through charitable operations. Schools are a good thing. In the US, politicians did not like the Catholic Church making in roads with with native populations, and made their own schools, where they effectively kidnapped children and took them far from home to make them good, protestant Americans. In Canada, they did the opposite in a sense, and said "hey, we want to shove all the indigenous children into mandatory residential schools, and the Catholic missions already have schools, let's just shove them in there." People trying to blame Catholics for either of those situations are really missing the mark.