Mass: We Pray: A Holy Hoax or Just a Really Bad Game?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Mass: We Pray: A Holy Hoax or Just a Really Bad Game?

A website has sprung up for Mass: We Pray, a new game that lets families "go to church every day without leaving their home," and it's surely - I mean, it just has to be - a hoax.

"A family shouldn't have to wait until Sunday to worship the Lord. Now you can go to church every day without leaving your home," promises the website for Mass: We Pray, a new videogame system that features a wireless motion-detecting cross controller, a "Kneeler accessory" for more interactive action and unique game software that features more than 24 "unique and exhilarating" ceremonies including Lighting Prayer Candles, Transubstantiation, Adult Baptism and Genuflecting. And no, I am not making a word of this up.

Someone must be, though. The site at MediaTemple [http://masswepray.com/] but the actual owner is hidden.

I'm tempted to leave the "anything's possible" door open but I'm not going to, because there's just no way this can be real. It is very well done, though; along with the promotional video, the site features more than a dozen screenshots, images of the controllers and a design sensibility that's pretty much exactly right for the product its advertising.

So what's the point? I've had no luck coming up with any clues so this is a complete shot in the dark, but I'm calling it as yet another EA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92210-Dantes-Inferno-Not-Really-Protested-at-E3]. Maybe that's the easy, all-too-obvious answer, but that's how I roll. We'll hopefully find out soon enough; the site promises that it will begin taking preorders for Mass: We Pray on November 20, at which point I expect the Big Revelation to hit. In the meantime, check it out for yourself and give us your theories!

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
maybe its an clever joke on the fact that the bible just got released on the 360, but judging from the video and the site it looks just about as good as any other wii game.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
I could only last 50 seconds into this........wow religions games suck......can't be real Christianity isn't this lame............never mind it is.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Yeah pretty sure it's hoax.

I'd like to see the extremist cliche deep south American Christian Version

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
This is a hoax. We all know this is a hoax. Because it has to be - religious people can be determined in their faith, but there's not many of them who could be that stupid.

Sigh. For once i try to defend right of "everymen" to believe whatever the fuck they want, and fail miserably.

Chipperz

Apr 27, 2009
I dunno about it being a fake, we live in a world where these things happen [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_video_game].

For what it's worth, I really wished that Modern Worship was a piss take of Modern Warfare. That would have been hilarious.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Surely I'm not the only one who laughed the entire way through that video. I mean come on.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Why can't someone make a game based off of the Bible instead of just church ceremonies? You could be the angel of death and kill all the firstborns in Egypt. Each area requires you to kill a certain amount of babies in a certain amount of time and than you can move on to the next room.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
... Yeah, no.
How could this be anything but fake?
I mean, come. It's ridiculous.

[small](Seriously, if this turns out to be real, I am going to go out slap the first Christian I see and he or she will have no idea why)[/small]

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
TheNamlessGuy said:
I hope this is a hoax.

Or I swear to God I will sell my Wii and buy it back because I want to play Epic Mickey and other games that might be good
I don't think it's supposed to be for the Wii... I think it's a seperate thing, not for any system.

Which, of course, lends evidence to it being a hoax. Those types of games have died out in nearly every market but the toddler one. Considering no system is specified, I doubt it's real.

I'd have to agree with Malygris. it's probably a Dante's Inferno viral ad. Everything about that commercial and site screams "this place and this family will soon be on fucking fire", to me at least.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Kollega said:
This is a hoax. We all know this is a hoax. Because it has to be - religious people can be determined in their faith, but there's little to no chance they could be that stupid.
you really havent been paying attention to the things they do have you

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Commander Breetai said:
Yeah, beyond the whole 'praying to an invisible man in the sky' and <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_Roberts#Ministry_and_university>being gullible to a degree that would embarrass Goofy, they obviously couldn't be that dumb.
Well, i meant people in general, not isolated cases of retardation. Fixed for clarity.

Eldarion

Sep 30, 2009
feather240 said:
Why can't someone make a game based off of the Bible instead of just church ceremonies? You could be the angel of death and kill all the firstborns in Egypt. Each area requires you to kill a certain amount of babies in a certain amount of time and than you can move on to the next room.
An old testament style game were you control an angel of death?

See, christianity has soo much potential for cool stuff like that. But we are stuck with crap like this....