Massive EVE Online Superbattle Blocks The Stars

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
And this is why EVE is still the best MMO around. players have so much freedom there they can escale things like that just from a single mistake.

rcs619 said:
Basically, when a bunch of players all pile into the same system, a mechanic called "time-dilation" kicks in. It slows the game down so that everyone's individual commands reach the servers in order. In the big battle, the game bogs down to unbearable levels. For example, in this battle, the time-dilation was up to the maximum of 90%. The game was only running at 10% speed the entire time. 1 minute of gameplay took 10 minutes of real-time, for example.

It's better than it used to be, when the server would just lag out or crash completely, and it certainly *is* an interesting story to read about and catch screenshots of. It just isn't fun to actually be in it, attempting to play the game in a situation the hardware just can't support. Which is something CCP always seems to neglect when they advertise EVE's huge, "epic" battles.
well you kind of answered yourself. but CCP is trying to make them work. in fact we got a sisi test in two days that are designed specifically to help deal with lag in those battles.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
R.Nevermore said:
MMOs can develop such interesting stories...

The great plague of Azeroth
The Eternal Conflict of the Pandemonium Warden
and now The Battle of Asakai

What else am I missing?
The Falador Massacre in RuneScape, and the Terran Republic's Last Stand in Planetside 1.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Meestor Pickle said:
That cluster just reminds me of the messy battles in Sins of a Solar Empire matches.
Kind of what I was thinking. Especially the ten player matches wherein everyone agrees to only build scouts and light-frigates.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
VoidWanderer said:
So EVE Online has a 'make news event' button now?
I don't play or even like EVE and I enjoyed reading this story. Find this kind of something very newsworthy, especially when you count in the actual real-world costs behind it!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
He must feel pretty special. "erm shit guys, i'm in the wrong system, help out" *que entire world responding*.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I love EVE. I don't even play it - too hardcore, too time consuming - but I love that it exists, and stories like this is why.

Bvenged

Sep 4, 2009
That's phenomenal. I'd be more inclined to play eve if things like this happened far more often.

Even in standard-def on a small screen, that fight looks superb.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Orbot_Vectorman said:
My god, I can only imagine how that mistake went down,

Pilot 1: Alright I'm gonna scan that ship

The ships main cannon goes off and slams into target ship,

Pilot 2: What the? Oh no you didn't!

Pilot 2 calls in reinforcements, upon arrival

Pilot 1: CRAP! *Getting on com* HELP! I'M GETTING ATTACKED!

Pilot 1's reinforcements rush in and battle starts.
its even better than that. The guy whomade the mistake asked his fleet to help him out. another fleet sprang a trap and instead of running away the first guy ordered everyone in his alliance to reinforce him. then ten percent of all eveplaying reinforcedthe trap makers

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I could have sworn I heard the voice-actor for Starcraft's Battlecruiser there.

Anyhow, it was a great video and a nice demonstration of what EVE can do.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Wow, I hope those insurance companies (they have them) weren't too invested in that one.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Already talked about here;

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.399499-3000-member-EVE-fight-What-insanity-looks-like

That thread has more info too and a little less 'comically incorrect'.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
The most amusing aspect of the whole thing is why the "accidental" intrustion took place in the first place. Fleet Command accidentally sent the wrong ship in first (the force was an invasion force to retake a station in Asaki, the intrustion was not accidental) which buggered their fleet organisation. When the responders came to defend, fleet command thought they could brute force their way out of the situation by escalating to supers and titans; but then proceeded to soil themselves when they realised that the defenders had matched them completely.

I think the final toll for the attackers was like 7 titans, 4 supers, and some other carriers.

The commander may be getting a demotion some time soon.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
When I watch old sci-fi anime with friends and we talk about "really big, semi-realistic space battles", this is the kinda crap we're talking about. I've never played EVE, but that was fun to watch.

gigastar said:
R.Nevermore said:

What else am I missing?
The Falador Massacre in RuneScape, and the Terran Republic's Last Stand in Planetside 1.
The Ragnarok of Ragnarok Online, although I'm not sure if that name ever fully caught on or not.

Captcha: It is different

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
Titans were in the battle.

How many times did a Doomsday Device get used?

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I had a friend on the losing side of that battle. I asked him how it went the day after (yesterday) and he told me the losing side have already recovered most of thier assets.

Tried EVE once, wasn't impressed. But this is mind-blowingly awesome.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
R.Nevermore said:

What else am I missing?
You're missing The Great War in EVE, when Band of Brothers was attacked and dissolved from within.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
I just watched a section of the largest battle between real humans ever to take place, in terms of losses and scale of the battlefield.

And nobody died... ..I think that counts as a giant F-Yes for progress?

I'd love this game, if only it wasn't a blasted MMO...

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Ohh man I love how it all started because of one guy's mistake.

But this just reinforces why I think beam weapons suck- you see the start and end points- but it's very hard to tell which way the attack is going. That's why Star Wars was so good- everyone just had rapid rire turbolasers. Even colour coded! You could tell what's what at any distance.

Also are those red explosions ships blowing up, jumping in and out of hyperspace, or both? This battle looked great when panning around, but it kind of dropped the ball with explosions. If it's going for realistic depiction I suppose it makes sense though.