Massive Exec Says Gamers Like Ads

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Massive Exec Says Gamers Like Ads

JJ Richards, the general manager of online advertising firm Massive [http://www.massiveincorporated.com/], says ads in games can add to the overall experience - and that gamers actually like them.

It's kind of drivel you might expect to fall out of the mouth of a marketing guy: Advertising is a good thing and people generally like it because it provides numerous benefits to the consumer. But Richards does a good job of explaining his position. "If you ask Americans if they like paying taxes, you'll likely receive a resounding 'no.' But if you ask Americans if they like living in the U.S., where they have to pay taxes, the answer will likely be a resounding 'yes'," he told Ars Technica [http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/10/massive-gm-advertising-makes-games-better-when-done-right.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss]. "It's about the overall value proposition and whether the mix is right between what you get and what you pay."

Going even further, he claimed that gamers actually like ads, although only if they add to the experience. As an example, he described a hypothetical game set in Times Square [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Square]; with zero advertising it just doesn't look real at all, while generic, fake ads improve the situation somewhat but still doesn't look right.

"Now imagine Times Square with ads you just saw on television or read in a newspaper-the latest movie release or television show or a new car model," he said. "Imagine further that it is up-to-the-minute, whether you played your game today or six months from now. That is much more realistic."

Massive takes great pains to ensure its ad campaigns add value and realism to the experience, and don't detract from gameplay. Because of that, Richards said, the company has declined to run ad campaigns in the past when brands have been "a poor fit for a game title."

"Video games are an active, engaged, 'lean-forward' entertainment experience," he explained. "Games in Massive's network contain four to five minutes of advertising or less per hour. Contrast that with an hour of television where consumers are likely to be exposed to at least 12 minutes of interruptive advertising."

The effectiveness of unobtrusive, realistically-placed advertising in games was demonstrated by a recent study [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94402-Study-Shows-Violence-Helps-In-Game-Advertising] showing that gamers don't have to be actively focused on in-game ads in order for them to be take root. In the end, whether you like it or hate it, you may as well get used to it; in-game advertising works and it's here to stay.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
bullshit. i hate ads. ads are some of the annoying things that could be in a game. besides Atarí

GodsAndFishes

Mar 22, 2009
I find the fake ads better to be honest, as they're new and therefore mildly interesting...

For about 5 seconds.

ZeeClone

Jan 14, 2009
/me is left wondering what the going rate for a soul is. Cos that guy must have got a good price.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I quite like games that generate billboards based on real adverts, makes the game feel more alive.

Besides that, it's not like anyone is forcing me to look at them, they're just scenery.

PunchClockVillain

Oct 3, 2009
I would like ads if they decreased the cost of the game from all the revenue the developers are pulling in. That doesn't seem to be the case however.

Bediz

Apr 20, 2009
Let's get it right: Gamers like CREATIVE ads! If we're flying through a city street in a stolen beater truck with the National Guard on our ass, it is hilarious to hear the radio calmly state "This block of songs brought to you by Ford. When you absolutely have to get the hell out of where ever you are, get Ford Tough!"

Noninvasive, creative, a bit of self-deprecation, and you've got a formula for a winning in-game ad. Like a good RPG, it's incredibly difficult to get the balance right. When designers fuck it up, it can literally kill a game. When they do, it's a homerun and will create more of an ad buzz when the gaming community starts talking about it.

SpiritMacardi

Feb 4, 2008
... What the hell is this guy smoking, and where can I score some?

I absolutely HATE ads in all forms. Ads are the reason I stopped watching television, and now that they're creeping into games I'm really getting ticked.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
i dont like them, i was playing battlefield bad company and i was driving my tank and i saw a billboard for something in real life and i went out of my way to run it over

IrirshTerrorist

Jul 25, 2009
I don't mind in-game adds as long as the aren't being forced down your throat, if you know what I mean. As long as they are background and blended in a don't really care if they are there or not because I don't consciously notice them.

By the way, anyone play Burnout Paradise, some pretty blatant advertising there. I wasn't happy. Good game though.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
I prefer ads in an MMO to that $15 a month bs. Also, they had ads in the Battlefield Bad Company multiplayer, and it was actually neat to see Robot Chicken, one of my favorite shows, advertising their dvd on the billboards.

syndicated44

Apr 25, 2009
Because I love seeing a honda ad in a game set 200 years in the future. Where we use hover cars and apparently still drink energy drinks that havnt changed their can art in well 200 years.

Jharry5

Nov 1, 2008
I can sort of see what the guy was trying to get at, but I disagree. I hate ads in games, unless they're the sort that the GTA series has in them (the jokey, satirical ones). Even then, I don't pay them much attention, as they are just scenery after all...

Pillypill

Aug 7, 2009
We feckin' hate ads, we like teasers and trailers for upcoming titles, but we use different terms for those because they're slightly different (longer, more exciting, less wanting to rip your ears off). I personaly spent 2 minutes yesterday trying to find MW2's infamy trailer. I certainly wouldn't have spent that much time looking for a new PS3, wii or 360 AD.

Sanaj

Mar 20, 2009
Realistic ads might fit in with that hypothetical game in Times Square...
However, I prefer no ads or fake satirical ads over having real ones in games.

Of course gamers don't need to be focused on the ads for them to work.
It's just like advertisements in other mediums like Television or the internet,
you see or hear an ad enough times and you will remember it.