Master Chief Won't Unmask in Halo 4

exessmirror

Apr 26, 2011
if he dies without having peace they are going to die (not a treat just a assessment what angry fans are probably going to do)

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I don't really see the big deal. Wouldn't he basically look like any other action game hero? Caucasian, brown hair, a bit grizzled, three day beard. Maybe a few scars. Hell, he'd probably just look like Jango and Boba Fett under that helmet. He's supposed to basically be human, right? Maybe genetically overpowered or something, but I don't really see how anything underneath that helmet could be that amazing. And that "identify with him"-crap? I don't wear a helmet 24/7.

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
So they're going to kill him off, like Bungie killed him in Halo 3? Or Core killed Lara Croft in Tomb Raider 4? Or Konami killed Snake at beginning of MGS2? Or Crytek killed Prophet a...

DVS BSTrD said:
He's Gordon Freeman isn't he?
No, we can already prove he's not the Freeman, for one thing he's too tall, for another he can... y'know... the thing with the noise.
Plus Mr Freeman knows how to carry more than two guns at once. Thats when he's using guns, and not playing with gravity...

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
I've always thought the look they gave him was really bad. He looks like a very generic character, bland, rather drab and uninteresting, and honestly that's the look that suits him; drab and uninteresting. Worse than that is the voice, though. Like the unfortunately acted Agent 47, Master Chief sounds nasal and dorky. I don't know that I need to see what he looks like beneath the bland space armor, doesn't really matter.

I'd be more interested if they actually made a better than functional single player game, perhaps without the cliffhanger ending?

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Icehearted said:
Like the unfortunately acted Agent 47, Master Chief sounds nasal and dorky.
Never seen anyone have anything bad to say about Bateson's performance as 47, especially considering the latest development's in Absolution's...er, development.

What is it exactly that you don't like about it? I'm really curious.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
I thought he was pretty well described in the books, so I really do not understand what all the fuss is about.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
What do you expect that he'll look like?

A grizzled, short brown hai-
Skeleon said:
I don't really see the big deal. Wouldn't he basically look like any other action game hero? Caucasian, brown hair, a bit grizzled, three day beard. Maybe a few scars. Hell, he'd probably just look like Jango and Boba Fett under that helmet. He's supposed to basically be human, right? Maybe genetically overpowered or something, but I don't really see how anything underneath that helmet could be that amazing. And that "identify with him"-crap? I don't wear a helmet 24/7.
damn.

It would be an interesting experiment to release a batch of like, 30 copies in which he'd been changed to be revealed as a latino, or as a woman with a voice-altering device.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
fozzy360 said:
Icehearted said:
Like the unfortunately acted Agent 47, Master Chief sounds nasal and dorky.
Never seen anyone have anything bad to say about Bateson's performance as 47, especially considering the latest development's in Absolution's...er, development.

What is it exactly that you don't like about it? I'm really curious.
I think he's a fine actor, don't get me wrong, and I've sort of come to enjoy his work in the games, but as 47 there's room to improve. I think the best way of describing it is very off-pitched and wooden. I realize the character is generally unemotional, but there's a difference between stoic and bland. In some ways it actually comes off like trying to do an impression, and it's really nasal.

I apologize if that's not a very good explanation, it's difficult to quantify how it puts me off, but it does. By comparison, I actually liked Tim Olyphant's version a little more.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Icehearted said:
I've always thought the look they gave him was really bad. He looks like a very generic character, bland, rather drab and uninteresting, and honestly that's the look that suits him; drab and uninteresting. Worse than that is the voice, though. Like the unfortunately acted Agent 47, Master Chief sounds nasal and dorky. I don't know that I need to see what he looks like beneath the bland space armor, doesn't really matter.

I'd be more interested if they actually made a better than functional single player game, perhaps without the cliffhanger ending?
I don't think you know what nasal and dorky mean, that would be like Donalds voice mixed with Goofy's voice.

Master Chief's is the opposite of that, his voice is clear and deep.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It probably for the best that his true face will forever remind a mystery.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I dunno how I feel about this. On one hand, I already have a damn good idea of what he looks like, thanks to the comics and the books. On the other, if his face doesn't live up to my expectations, which is unlikely, I'll be disappointed. I'm sure I'd get over it though.

Eh, I say bring on the face. Bring it!

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I personally believe it would ruin the character to reveal his face. I mean look what happened with Tali in Mass Effect 3... you'll never please everyone. Besides, is it really that important to everyone?

GiglameshSoulEater said:
I may remember wrong, but didn't they say Chief may die about Halo 3 as well?I may be getting confused withthe advertising for Reach, but they can't pull the same thing twice.
Well technically he did die in Halo 3. At least every character still alive believed him to have perished...

Thyunda said:
OT: "But that's a device to keep the player invested in the character and keep the player from constantly being reminded that they're not a hero [in real life]."

Never. Ever let this man speak again. Do you think I put myself in the armour? That I've been picturing me in my trademark aviators running about shooting aliens?

In real life I fight my battles through wit and charm. In games with that option, I like to do the same. My RPG characters always have speech skills maxed out. I put myself in games with customisable play and ONLY those. Halo is the story of Master Chief. I KNEW 343 would fuck this up, and he's qualified my prediction beyond all doubt with one phrase.

Forget well-written stories and character arcs, YOU'RE the hero, little Timmy.
I have to agree with you here. This seems to be the attitude of most game devs who utilise a silent/ambiguous protagonist and it always comes off as being a tiny bit patronising, not to mention ignorant of their actual fan-base.

Just like you, I never run around in Halo pretending the character to be myself because I know that could never be possible. My life's bland as all fuck and I'd much rather learn about someone else, get to share their life for a bit. My game characters, even those I create in games like Skyrim, are invariably nothing like me. Relatable characters are one thing but blank slates that are nothing more than a site for the projection of my own self idealised fantasies? No thanks.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I think it's best to keep the Chief masked. Like Proverbial Jon said, you can't please everyone.
Agow95 said:
Spartans never die, they just go missing in action.
You deserve a fucking medal for that post xD. *Hi-fives out of respect.*

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
If anyone's going to die, it's going to be Cortana. She's nearing the end of her life anyway, and since every other major Halo character is now dead, she's the only one left who you can kill. Granted, I hope they don't kill her, but if I had to place a bet, my money's on her.

No way Master Chief ever takes off his helmet to where we can see his face. That was something that always bothered me about the Legends movies and the books--the Spartans are ALWAYS taking their helmets off, even though it's said over an over that they practically live in their armor. I know they need to take off the stuff from time to time, but in the middle of a battle? Come on.

KrossBillNye

Jan 25, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
If anyone's going to die, it's going to be Cortana. She's nearing the end of her life anyway, and since every other major Halo character is now dead, she's the only one left who you can kill. Granted, I hope they don't kill her, but if I had to place a bet, my money's on her.

No way Master Chief ever takes off his helmet to where we can see his face. That was something that always bothered me about the Legends movies and the books--the Spartans are ALWAYS taking their helmets off, even though it's said over an over that they practically live in their armor. I know they need to take off the stuff from time to time, but in the middle of a battle? Come on.
Granted I already thought she was supposed to be dead at this point. With the crap she went through and although an AI lives for 7 years, the amount of information she was exposed to would have reduced those years significantly compared to a standard operating AI.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
The strange thing about characters like Master Chief is that even though they don't have a visible face, there's never anyone else that looks like them. You see that gold visor and that skid mark on the chest, and you know it's the badass that surfed the Dreadnought to Earth. Just like Gordon Freeman, the power armor becomes MC's face, which is why people like me get so angry at the new designs. And with this new face, these characters are able to transcend humanity. They cast off the imperfections and asymmetries of our mortal forms in favor of strong, thick, perfect suits of armor. They become symbols, ideas, perhaps even gods, and to many religions, it's heracy to try and put a human face on God. These characters, after all, are not made in God's image, but in man's image of God, and as such, they cannot be constrained to our own standards.
Now, of course, there is the idea that it's better to see our heroes as human, because then we can identify with them. Well, that's a good point. Someone else can argue that one for me, this post is already too long.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Good, i'm glad they aren't taking of his Mask, he doesn't need to, give him character development all you want, but never reveal his face, unless he dies or something.