Master Chief Won't Unmask in Halo 4

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
If anyone's going to die, it's going to be Cortana. She's nearing the end of her life anyway, and since every other major Halo character is now dead, she's the only one left who you can kill. Granted, I hope they don't kill her, but if I had to place a bet, my money's on her.

No way Master Chief ever takes off his helmet to where we can see his face. That was something that always bothered me about the Legends movies and the books--the Spartans are ALWAYS taking their helmets off, even though it's said over an over that they practically live in their armor. I know they need to take off the stuff from time to time, but in the middle of a battle? Come on.
:( man don't say that!

Halo 2 got me into gaming and from the get go i loved Cortana's character. Maybe she gets reset using forerunner tech or something like a Memory wipe, but that is just my inner teen saying "NO DON'T KILL HER" :'(

If they do i hope the Chief gets a new AI

Captcha: Silver Bullet...:'(

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
The Chief has already been unmasked.
Also, what's with the people saying he died in Halo 3?

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Icehearted said:
By comparison, I actually liked Tim Olyphant's version a little more.
Kind of hard to compare the two. With Olyphant, we're watching him play the role and not just voice it. Bateson works his ass off with the VA, and I think it comes out wonderfully well. SA is a testament to that. On the other hand, plenty of good on-screen actors end up being really bland when they do VAs.

C F

Jan 10, 2012
At this point, I'm wondering if anyone was even expecting him to be unmasked. I mean, come on; when I saw the title, I was thinking "this is the most obvious announcement since 'PS3 won't get Hearthfire anytime soon'."
I don't mean to insinuate the article has no value; obviously there's more to be said regarding O'Connor and the reason behind the announcement. I just felt like giving voice my thoughts.

Well, enough with the pedantic disclaimers. Chief pretty much has a face in his (admittedly interchangeable but still recognizable) Mjolnir visor. Taking off the helmet wouldn't really be doing much, if anything at all, for character development and interpretation, regardless of any reason put forth for (or against) doing so.
At the end of the day, eh still kills aliens and doesn't afraid of anything. We expect nothing else from the lovable lug.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Korten12 said:
Icehearted said:
I've always thought the look they gave him was really bad. He looks like a very generic character, bland, rather drab and uninteresting, and honestly that's the look that suits him; drab and uninteresting. Worse than that is the voice, though. Like the unfortunately acted Agent 47, Master Chief sounds nasal and dorky. I don't know that I need to see what he looks like beneath the bland space armor, doesn't really matter.

I'd be more interested if they actually made a better than functional single player game, perhaps without the cliffhanger ending?
I don't think you know what nasal and dorky mean, that would be like Donalds voice mixed with Goofy's voice.

Master Chief's is the opposite of that, his voice is clear and deep.
We'll disagree on that point. I don't think his voice is deep at all. On the opposite side of the spectrum for example, Marcus Fenix (voiced by the super-talented John DiMaggio) is way too deep, like he's trying awful hard to be as grizzled as possible and it's campy.

I think the Master Chief's voice is above moderate pitched, let's say, compared to the more inoffensively voiced Desmond Miles, and by inoffensive I mean not really gruff, gravely, or menacing. I think a better sounding voice would have a darker pitch to it. Better examples of what I mean would be Max Payne (too gruff though... but appropriate for that character) or Cole MacGrath in the first Infamous (sounded at times delightfully like Robert Patrick), even John Marston despite his twang had a more masculine timbre. Not saying they're better suited for 47 or Master Chief, just that they sounded more the part, and not nasal.

fozzy360 said:
Icehearted said:

Kind of hard to compare the two. With Olyphant, we're watching him play the role and not just voice it. Bateson works his ass off with the VA, and I think it comes out wonderfully well. SA is a testament to that. On the other hand, plenty of good on-screen actors end up being really bland when they do VAs.
I respect your opinion on this, but I remember, going back to the first one, being amused and eventually put off by how awkward he sounded, like someone from the studio just jumped in and did lines.

Eldritch Warlord said:
Icehearted said:
Master Chief sounds nasal and dorky.

What?

Dorky I can kind of see because of the emotionless delivery (which is a character trait btw), but nasal?
Again I must respectfully disagree, and wonder how you can't hear the the delivery more from his sinuses than his chest.

Fidelias

Nov 30, 2009
Meh, to tell you the truth, after Halo 2, I just never cared about what the Master Chief looked like under the helmet.

No matter what they show, I'm still always going to picture him with his helmet on.

I'm really hoping Halo 4 turns out good. Even though the Halo games aren't innovative or perfect, they're all still at least good FPS's. Plus, they've managed to stick with that sort of old-school shooter feel instead of turning completely into a Call of Duty wannabes.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Icehearted said:
Again I must respectfully disagree, and wonder how you can't hear the the delivery more from his sinuses than his chest.
Slightly hyponasal if anything, sounds like your average baritone voice to me. Maybe the radio distortion in Halo 2 colored your opinions?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Eldritch Warlord said:
Icehearted said:
Slightly hyponasal if anything, sounds like your average baritone voice to me. Maybe the radio distortion in Halo 2 colored your opinions?
That's not quite what I meant. That cleft palat video was a bit upsetting, feel bad for the poor kid.

The cutscene shows something else that I'd forgotten; everyone except for the Master Chief sounds so much better. It's almost jarring how comparatively off he sounds to the rest of the cast. I just remembered Keith David was in that game and he's absolutely superb.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
*Chief takes off his helmet*

*looks like Morgan Freeman*

That...would be the best troll ever.

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
May die! may die lol that is just hubris and an insult to every monkey in the Antarctica region of Hawaii. (If that didn't make sense, that's good your head is on the right stump, unlike the freaking person that said that) I mean seriously you shouldn't even mention master chief dying when Microsoft reserved the names for halo 7-9 for webpages. It just makes you seem a tad slow.

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Icehearted said:
That's not quite what I meant. That cleft palat video was a bit upsetting, feel bad for the poor kid.

The cutscene shows something else that I'd forgotten; everyone except for the Master Chief sounds so much better. It's almost jarring how comparatively off he sounds to the rest of the cast. I just remembered Keith David was in that game and he's absolutely superb.
It's exactly what you said though, delivering more voice through the nose than normal. If you meant hyponasal (i.e. the sort of voice you get from talking while pinching your nose) that's delivering less voice through the nose than normal. Admittedly though that kid is an extreme example.

You seem to be pretty lonely in your assertions about Steve Downes voice work though. Maybe you're expecting things that the character isn't meant to deliver.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Shoggoth2588 said:
Irridium said:
I feel this is somewhat related:

Personally, I'm good with either leaving it on or taking it off. Just hope the game's good.
I fell like this video is a great representation of Halo 4 more than anything. Or at least it was until they started showing off the guns in that game though I still think I'd rather have a Needler circa Halo 3 than the Liefeldian blasters you seem to get in 4.

I lost interest in what Chief looks like when I finished the fight however many years ago. I bet that if he does take his mask off though he'll look something like this:

You're in luck, according to lore, the Master Chef has curly brown hair and freckles.

alik44

Sep 11, 2010
unless removing his mask magically gives him some kind personality then i don't really care

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Icehearted said:
fozzy360 said:
Icehearted said:

I respect your opinion on this, but I remember, going back to the first one, being amused and eventually put off by how awkward he sounded, like someone from the studio just jumped in and did lines.
In that case, did you only play the first one? Bateson has really grown into making 47 his, which explains why people hated the new VA for Absolution and why IO was pretty much forced into bringing him back.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
fozzy360 said:
Icehearted said:
fozzy360 said:
Icehearted said:

In that case, did you only play the first one? Bateson has really grown into making 47 his, which explains why people hated the new VA for Absolution and why IO was pretty much forced into bringing him back.
Which is great, because changing the cast like this bodes poorly. I have played other games, hell I've poured more hours into BloodMoney than most role-playing games. I agree, his work has improved, but it still sounds odd on the ear.

I hope you don't think this a harsh criticism on his work, I do enjoy it, honestly, but as 47 the voice has never sounded right to me. Again, I point back to Olyphant, and I realize the performances were meaningfully different for all kinds of reasons, and say that sheerly on this vocal performance he was a better 47 overall; cold, disciplined, but human, and probably one of the best video game to movie transitions ever.

Again, this isn't to disparage Bateson, he's a fine voice actor, just sounds odd in this case, and always has.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I haven't really played Halo after 1 and 2 but I still follow the series thrugh friends somewhat.
Would be interesting to give him a face, then again I think they shouldn't :p

It would be about time a big character dies thou, then it would be MassEffect rage all over again -.-

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Thanks for telling me all I need to know or care about in Halo 4. Too bad I'll probably never play it since I'm too poor to spend on Xbox Live or your adapter, or a new Xbox with one built in. I'm okay with playing CoD on my PS3 occasionally and having fun with that whole "realism" thing that doesn't cost me any more a year than it would to play single player offline.

Seriously Microsoft, grow the fuck up and get rid of this damn subscription, that 60 a year people spend on Live could go towards a new game, which we have to buy to play online half the fucking time anyway so what's the point of taking all our money?

I feel I have derailed on the topic, so Cheif's face? It's Adam Jensen, he's achieved immortality. Think about it, super human abilities, regenerating health, able to fall long distances but not too long cause of lack of upgrades...cyborg? He decided to chose the ending we couldn't, say fuck you world, and left to sleep in space until he's wheeled out into multiple sequels