Masterpieces of Heavy Metal.

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Wow. One of these threads... I always have way too much to post. Well lets start with something new:
Internal Cannon, Leveler, August Burns Red

Just Breathe, The World is a Thorn, Demon Hunter

and oh so many more...

Edit: Two more

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
Some of my favorite songs evar:

<youtube=_5kJB_SWCpw>

<youtube=-W9EOhy5J6A>

<youtube=SSX86zPnUkY>

These are all incredibly powerful, incredibly melodic, incredibly beautiful songs. Yes, metal can be beautiful. :D

And here's a more recent fave - less beautiful, but still kicks ass.

<youtube=AGuhziU_dzc>

In case some of you didn't know, Megadeth still makes amazing music. XD

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
xplosive59 said:
Alot of Devin Townsends stuff, alot of Deaths stuff, all of city by Strapping Young Lad, Kings to come by alghazanth, all o f Ocean Machine by Devin Townsend, all songs off of Inme's last 2 albums.
I love you.

hey! Unable, we have a Dev fan over here!

Just got through Deconstruction for the first time, his best work since City in my opinion. And Ghost is massaging my brain after the insanity.
Seems to be a fair number of Devy fans here and that's a bloody good thing. I love seeing praise for his work whenever metal is brought up here. We have to convert more people to that >.<

Anyway, I'd say Deconstruction but that's been said before but... considering it's all I've listened to for the past week or so, I have to go with that. Planet of the Apes being my favourite track off there. It's absolutely amazing how insane that whole album is. Not since City or Alien has there been so much chaos in an album, not just for Devy but it definitely channels that energy of Strapping well.

However Ghost... is so beautiful that I'm tempted to say I enjoy it more than Deconstruction. Just a lovely something to listen to while you relax. ^_^

Oh and as a side note... what's up with all the Slipknot hate? I don't really understand it, to be honest. So what, they're popular. Big deal. Their music is simplistic but people enjoy that. Hell, I enjoy it. Not all the time but Slipknot is a good band. I don't understand the weird metal elitism that goes with a lot of this and Slipknot always seems to be a target of elitist hatred.

Ace2401

May 9, 2011
Anything by Dream Theater. They can pull off such a wide range of styles and everything they do is beyond epic. Some examples:

Sorry, couldn't help it. An epic video for an awesome song if you ask me :D

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
David Wennersten said:
Zac Smith said:
Everything by Rammstein
Leviathan by Mastodon, more specifically, Blood and Thunder
In addition to THAT and THAT, I submit Neonate by the fantastically named Giant Squid. Not really along the same lines, but it sounds a bit like Iron Butterfly and Electric Wizard had a sweet, sludgy baby.

Edit: dude, what? I apparently hadn't posted before. Huh.
Reminds me of God Forrbid's Gaia from the album Earthsblood

Feb 19, 2010
TonyCapa said:
Sabaton and what is the best song they have? The masterpiece of heavy metal which has become my favourite song second only to Always look on the Bright Side of Life, that of course is Screaming Eagles, embodying everything heavy metal is. Awesome rifs and solos, fast paced/agressive music and good, strong lyrics...not to mention instrumentals that would make a lesser band fall into small, tiny bits to puree and put into the water cannons at a metal festival.

Sabaton Buddies!*hi-Fivez*

My favorite sabaton songs:

Panzerkampf:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LeqzHJRxC0

Ghost Division
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LeqzHJRxC0

Screaming Eagles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1qkjzxPOkA

was going to post Rammenstein & Two Steps from hell..
But...
Rammenstein is Industrial Metal
And Two steps from hell is Syphnic Orchestral metal, and that is only a very certain selection of songs.
eh, screw it, these are both masterpieces of music alone.

Invincible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjZACyYKGJ8

Ich Tu Dir Weh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6FtVtG6LfY
with english subs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SuGQ0_7LUE

Apr 8, 2010
The most literally epic song I've ever heard.
The lower two Youtube vids are a live version of the song. Doesn't quite capture the whole epicness thing as much as I hope but is nonetheless awesome :)
It tells the story of the Illiad i.e. the fall of Troy from the perspective of Cassandra. The lyrics perfectly capture Cassandras despair about not being able to to do anything about the imminent doom as well as the beauty of Troy before its fall. Musically, this song is 14 minutes of length, a multitude of pace-changes, a lot of overlapping vocals, choirs, and orchestral parts all adding and enhancing the sense of epicness and grandeur that the topic of the song entails. In my opinion, nothing but a masterpiece in modern Metal.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
Dark Tranquility - Lost to Apathy

While I like Misery's Crown, Cathode Ray Sunshine, and a load of their other tracks, Character was their best album, and this the best song.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
No-one's mentioning any of the stuff that I like, so I feel compelled to post here.

Firstly - CELTIC FROST. Every single heavy metal band that has ever experimented with... well, anything really, owe their existence to Celtic Frost, who did everything before everyone else, and even did a few things that no other metal band has ever dared since.

That's a good song but it's mindblowing to think that it was recorded in 1986. Nobody was doing this back then. Their record label hated that album and so did the fans at the time, but Into The Pandemonium is now considered the single album that defined orchestral doom metal and the list of imitators is huge and certainly includes all those crappy prog bands everybody mystifyingly loves.

Also, SEPULTURA.

In Brazil metal actually has the type of socio-political relevance that punk had at one point in England, so it's fitting that the best of the original thrash metal bands was from there, and they were lyrically and musically ahead of the pack so far it just wasn't funny. Metallica had to write cheesy pop songs (albiet with heavy guitars) to break on the charts internationally. Sepultura did the same thing years later with a defiantly anti-commercial song that was 90% built around one fucking note:

And let's not forget ANAL ****, who are particularly relevant for forum users.

These guys invented trolling before there was even an Internet to troll on. If you consider yourself a troll and you don't have an Anal **** album in your collection, you could use some lessons from the masters. They got their record deal by trolling the record company, who fortunately had a sense of humour. After releasing a few albums and annoying the world with violent misogyny and hateful grindcore, they started to build up a following, so the band trolled them too by releasing an album full of pro-feminist acoustic ballads:

There's a lot more great metal bands I could think of but these are glaring omissions that will fill the void for now. Enjoy.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
My personal favs. I really love the older Heavy Metal and Thrash, I'd put down some Meshuggah, At the Gates and Dio as well but I figured I'd posted too many videos already.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
MianusIzBleeding said:
I agree with Tradgedy's Rebellion on this one. I went through a period of listening to Slipknot from about 14 to 16 years of age. As I got older I noticed that the Slipknot shirts were disappearing in my friend circle and appearing on the younger kids elsewhere
So, yeah, Slipknot are just a kids fad masquerading as a metal band. A poor one at that
Just because you got into a band for the wrong reasons doesn't mean everyone did.

Not sure why it's so hard for people to understand that some people just enjoy the music when they listen to it. Has nothing to do with being a fad, an age thing or anything like that - to me and many others it's just good, decent metal.

So what if it has a catchy pop chorus? So does every Iron Maiden song ever.

BaronFelX

Mar 18, 2010
Bebus said:
Lots of great songs have been posted, but I think a lot of people are missing the author's aim in this, sounds like he wants the absolute epics that transcend regular songs (and the mere 5 minute mark!) and leave the listener literally gasping for breath afterwards.

On that note, I present The Last Baron by Mastodon. Hell, if you have time listen to the whole album Crack the Skye, but this closing track never fails to leave me speechless. Only problem is that it makes all my other music sound... small. Damn you Mastodon for making my music collection wither in your shadow!

Wow, you actually said precisely what I wanted to contribute to this. You're absolutely right, this isn't about just "great" metal songs, but true masterpieces. Someone posted Blood and Thunder earlier, and while that's one of my favorite metal tracks, it doesn't really represent a masterpiece. Crack The Skye, and The Last Baron here in particular, represent the work of a band that has fully realized their sound and capabilities. I love that if you listen to Mastodon's discography, you can hear their entire body of work building up to this album, and even this song. Beautiful.

The Last Baron is what it sounds like when God tries to talk to you.

Turigamot

Feb 13, 2011
Not enough Prog Metal Masterpieces. These are, I think, the best works of these two bands.

Dream Theater - Metropolis, Part 1:

Pain of Salvation - Handful of Nothing

Cooperblack

Apr 6, 2009
This [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5jaRipA5_M] will always be the quintessential Metal song for me.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
I won't claim to know what constitutes "heavy" metal, but I know that my all-time favourite band, Rhapsody of Fire, at least counts as "symphonic" metal for the most part. I say most part because, well, some of their songs are clearly NOT metal...

But then there's stuff like this...