Mathieu Bellamont's motivation (Oblivion)

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Ok I'm sure many of you have played Elder Scrolls 4 Oblivion and those who haven't or haven't yet completed the dark brotherhood should probably not look at this since it contains spoilers...(read at your own risk)

So when you become a member of the black hand you start killing off members of the black hand unknowingly because Mathieu Bellamont changes the dead drop orders...Now I understand what he's doing but WHY? I've pondered this for a while now and the game doesn't seem to say why he is killing the members of the black hand...From reading his diary I've come to the conclusion he was simply insane but to me that doesn't sit right with me, I think there is another reason why he's killing the black hand and eventually tries to kill the night mother....

BOTTOM LINE.
What is Mathieu Bellamont's motivation?

Apr 28, 2008
Easton Dark said:
Lucien Lachance murdered his mother.
Yeah, this. Word for word.

You find out about it when you go into his room at Anvil's lighthouse. You find his journal, which explains everything, and his mother's severed head that he has apparently been keeping since her death.

MrLee1990

Jun 5, 2011
Easton Dark said:
/thread

The head you find on in the basement is his mother that was one hint

edit: damn ninji'd i blame the captcha.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
I can't add to the thread, so off-topic: am I a bad person if I put her head in my house along with other mementos I had collected?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Irridium said:
Easton Dark said:

You find out about it when you go into his room at Anvil's lighthouse. You find his journal, which explains everything, and his mother's severed head that he has apparently been keeping since her death.
And I was going to sleep in a minute. That lighthouse freaked - and I believe this is the technical term - the fucking shit out of me.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Richardplex said:
I can't add to the thread, so off-topic: am I a bad person if I put her head in my house along with other mementos I had collected?
Yes, yes you are. And a true member of the Dark Brotherhood at that, well done!

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
lunncal said:
Richardplex said:
But my story was to become the head of the dark brotherhood and then never talk to the night mother, thus effectively disbanding the dark brotherhood. I thought I was in the right. I just had a thing for putting human heads, hearts, and argonian hearts onto my dinner table.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
Woodsey said:
Irridium said:
Easton Dark said:

And I was going to sleep in a minute. That lighthouse freaked - and I believe this is the technical term - the fucking shit out of me.
And if I'm not mistaken, he's also responsible for the Anvil ghost ship.

MrLee1990

Jun 5, 2011
Richardplex said:
lunncal said:
Richardplex said:
But my story was to become the head of the dark brotherhood and then never talk to the night mother, thus effectively disbanding the dark brotherhood. I thought I was in the right. I just had a thing for putting human heads, hearts, and argonian hearts onto my dinner table.
i guess you wanted to get aHEAD but you lost the HEART for it. ohh i kid myself

dstreet121

Feb 21, 2011
Well I learned something today, guess I should take the time to read those journals when Skyrim comes around so I don't miss this stuff.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Richardplex said:
lunncal said:
Richardplex said:
I doubt it would make a difference, the Dark Brotherhood effectively shuts down once you become leader anyway, plus Ocheeva handles pretty much everything anyway.

Regardless, Sithis shall visit you in the night, and you shall be punished for having such treasonous thoughts.

For your sake, I hope this is your first transgression.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Easton Dark said:
Really? I thought he was just some mad fucker who killed his own mother and went after the Brotherhood for some odd reason. Makes now that I think about it. I should probably return the head.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
lunncal said:
Richardplex said:
lunncal said:
Richardplex said:
I doubt it would make a difference, the Dark Brotherhood effectively shuts down once you become leader anyway, plus Ocheeva handles pretty much everything anyway.

Regardless, Sithis shall visit you in the night, and you shall be punished for having such treasonous thoughts.

Yes, I saw her new recruits.
They never had the chance to see me.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Richardplex said:

They never had the chance to see me.[/quote]

You're cold, man, and not even Dark Brotherhood cold. Those new recruits just want to help you and obey you, they consider themselves part of your family and all they want is to follow you. You could have took them with you on your crappy do-gooder quests and they would have willingly died for you, even if they didn't understand why.

Instead, you killed them. You "good guys" are all self-righteous hypocrites. You've murdered more innocents than they ever will.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
OutcastBOS said:
And if I'm not mistaken, he's also responsible for the Anvil ghost ship.
He is indeed responsible for that. Murdered the sailors because they made fun of him.

dstreet121 said:
Well I learned something today, guess I should take the time to read those journals when Skyrim comes around so I don't miss this stuff.
Definitely. If there's something the Elder Scrolls does right, it's the notes and books. Not only are they interesting enough to read, but interesting enough to read instead of going out and murdering things. Now that's an accomplishment.

ChromaticWolfen said:
Really? I thought he was just some mad fucker who killed his own mother and went after the Brotherhood for some odd reason. Makes now that I think about it. I should probably return the head.
Yep. He 'targeted' Lachance, but since the Brotherhood was ok with the murder, Mathieu decided they were just as responsible.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
lunncal said:
Richardplex said:

You're cold, man, and not even Dark Brotherhood cold. Those new recruits just want to help you and obey you, they consider themselves part of your family and all they want is to follow you. You could have took them with you on your crappy do-gooder quests and they would have willingly died for you, even if they didn't understand why.

Instead, you killed them. You "good guys" are all self-righteous hypocrites. You've murdered more innocents than they ever will.[/quote]
I recall to method of entry is to kill. They were murderers already. And I need no followers. Those who blindly follows others into death, with no reason of their own, only the reason of the one they are following, are easily manipulated, and are what is wrong with the world. I make sure they have a swift death, even if they aren't even 10. He did worship the ground I walked on, he bowed down to the floor.

...But it's for the greater good, honest!

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Richardplex said:
Interesting thing - if you drop the mother's head next to him in that room with Lachance hanging upside-down, and then talk to Bellamont, you get unique dialog :D
Okay, there's being sick like me, and then there's being a massive bastard. still

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Richardplex said:
lunncal said:
Richardplex said:
Richardplex said:

Instead, you killed them. You "good guys" are all self-righteous hypocrites. You've murdered more innocents than they ever will.
I recall to method of entry is to kill. They were murderers already. And I need no followers. Those who blindly follows others into death, with no reason of their own, only the reason of the one they are following, are easily manipulated, and are what is wrong with the world. I make sure they have a swift death, even if they aren't even 10. He did worship the ground I walked on, he bowed down to the floor.

...But it's for the greater good, honest!
You can keep telling yourself that, but you murdered far more people than they ever did. Not to mention that if they're anything like the average Dark Brotherhood member, they've led rough lives and are accustomed to being rejected and hated. Then, when they are offered the chance to belong to a true family, how could they decline?

Just when they think they've finally found where they belong, with people who really care about them, BAM. You mercilessly slaughter them.

The Dark Brotherhood may be evil, maybe even disgusting, but one thing that can be said with absolute certainty about them is that they are loyal, and they care for one another. More than can be said for a traitor like you.