Maths and Science Jokes!

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
51gunner said:
Remember the joke, "I wish I was your derivative so I could lie tangent to your curves"? One student here at Dalhousie tried that on one of the profs, hoping to rattle her. She turned sharply on her heel, staring the miscreant down and shot back:

"Yes, but that would make me your integral, and frankly I don't want to be occupying the area underneath you."

The class gave her a standing ovation.
LOL! Thats awesome....

olicon

May 8, 2008
I still don't get the dy one from the OP.

But my prof uses this on his answering machine: The number you dialed is not real. Please turn your phone 90 degrees and dial again.

MagikMystery

Aug 9, 2008
olicon said:
Well the joke's actually from the simpsons episode "Bart the Geneus". If you differentiate both sides of the equation y = (r^3)/3, with respect to r, you get dy/dr = r^2. Rearrange to get dy = (r^2)dr = rdrr

:D

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Saskwach said:
crimson5pheonix said:
A stats professor plans to travel to a conference by plane. When he passes the security check, they discover a bomb in his carry-on-baggage. Of course, he is hauled off immediately for interrogation.
"I don't understand it!" the interrogating officer exclaims. "You're an accomplished professional, a caring family man, a pillar of your parish - and now you want to destroy that all by blowing up an airplane!"
"Sorry", the professor interrupts him. "I had never intended to blow up the plane."
"So, for what reason else did you try to bring a bomb on board?!"
"Let me explain. Statistics shows that the probability of a bomb being on an airplane is 1/1000. That's quite high if you think about it - so high that I wouldn't have any peace of mind on a flight."
"And what does this have to do with you bringing a bomb on board of a plane?"
"You see, since the probability of one bomb being on my plane is 1/1000, the chance that there are two bombs is 1/1000000. If I already bring one, the chance of another bomb being around is actually 1/1000000, and I am much safer..."
That guy was a bad stats professor. I bet he'd even say the odds of the second dog being male was 1/2.
That thread is dead, and let's keep it that way.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
MagikMystery said:
olicon said:
Well the joke's actually from the simpsons episode "Bart the Geneus". If you differentiate both sides of the equation y = (r^3)/3, with respect to r, you get dy/dr = r^2. Rearrange to get dy = (r^2)dr = rdrr

:D
Technically that's not entirely true;
  • If y = r[sup]3[/sup]/3
    Then dy = r[sup]2[/sup].dr == r.dr.r, or "Har-Dee-Har-Har"
You can't really just 'rearrange' differential equations. It's a useful aide-memoire, but has no place in mathematical proof.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
perfectimo said:
This is more of an anecdote that a teacher told me about a psychology exam but it's still pretty funny.

There was a question on a year 12 exam with several pages to right out your answer, the question was "Define empathy and apathy" and all a student wrote was "I don't know and I don't care." They got an A+.
I got one of those! A philosophy teacher is giving his final exam. He hands each of his students a blank sheet of paper, pulls up a chair, and says "Using everything you've learned this year, prove this chair does not exist". All of the students spend the next few hours using complex philosophy to prove the chair is non-existent. Except one. That one finished his test in 30 seconds. When they got their tests back, the one student got an A+ with the answer "What chair?"

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
A neutron walks into a bar and asks the bartender:
- how much for a beer?
The bartender replies: - for you, free of charge!

Ba dam tish!

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
crimson5pheonix said:
Never! I am a necrothreadomancer, and I vow that one day the dead will be posted on again. Savour your new threads while you can; soon you will be bored to death by the ineluctable horde of zombie threads.

Teleios

Aug 5, 2003
8th grade Algebra I teacher. Her name was Ms. Mattern. She used to walk around saying "Math is the only thing that Mattern's". It hurt, it still hurts to this day even to share the story with you.

nimrandir

Oct 30, 2008
olicon said:

But my prof uses this on his answering machine: The number you dialed is not real. Please turn your phone 90 degrees and dial again.
To be strictly accurate, the number would have to be (pure) imaginary for that to work, rather than simply not real.

Lukeje said:
Technically that's not entirely true;
  • If y = r[sup]3[/sup]/3
    Then dy = r[sup]2[/sup].dr == r.dr.r, or "Har-Dee-Har-Har"
You can't really just 'rearrange' differential equations. It's a useful aide-memoire, but has no place in mathematical proof.
Yay for differential forms!

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Saskwach said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Never! I am a necrothreadomancer, and I vow that one day the dead will be posted on again. Savour your new threads while you can; soon you will be bored to death by the ineluctable horde of zombie threads.
I warn you, if you resurrect threads, I will be forced to re-purpose them into something else. You're zombies will be in dresses before you know it.

PieFace

May 31, 2008
Not really a joke, but more of a disturbing question my High school math teacher asked us on the first day of class...."If you have 2 babies and 1 baby is drowning, how many babies do you have left?"

Saskwach

Nov 4, 2007
crimson5pheonix said:
Saskwach said:
crimson5pheonix said:
I warn you, if you resurrect threads, I will be forced to re-purpose them into something else. You're zombies will be in dresses before you know it.
You're no fun.

crimson5pheonix

Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Saskwach said:
crimson5pheonix said:
Saskwach said:
crimson5pheonix said:
You're no fun.
You'd be surprised how interesting a repurposed thread can get.

PersianLlama

Aug 31, 2008
perfectimo said:
PersianLlama said:
perfectimo said:
This is the biggest size I could find in about 10 minutes:
My AP Comp Sci teacher has the shirt. I want it >.<
John Tacos said:
perfectimo said:
This is the biggest size I could find in about 10 minutes:
I laughed so hard when my friend couldn't get this. Thats one more virus for his compy! Cr0wned!
Did either of you get my other joke in the post?
Edit: Nevermind, I see it was answered earlier in the topic.

Chezzz

Dec 2, 2008
Heres one my biology teacher said...

Q: How do you make a Hormone?

A: Don't pay her