Matrix Creators Want Will Smith to Play Updated Robin Hood

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Matrix Creators Want Will Smith to Play Updated Robin Hood

Since Robin Hood hasn't graced a screen in the past month or so, the Wachowskis have decided the time is ripe to film an updated, modern spin on it.

The most recent adaptation of Robin Hood opened in theaters seven months ago next week, so the timing seems just about right for another one. The Wachowskis (The Matrix, Speed Racer) have just sold Warner Bros. a modern take on the robber of the rich, and are currently looking for a cast. They've reportedly approached Will Smith, who infamously passed when they offered him the role of Neo in The Matrix. Yes, that happened.

The film is called Hood, and The Hollywood Reported describes it as "a modern, urban take on the Robin Hood myth." That description may be vague, but it's practically a spoiler for Andy and Lana Wachowski, who generally keep mum regarding upcoming projects. The siblings will write and direct the film, as they have for Speed Racer, Bound, and the entire Matrix trilogy.

This isn't the duo's only project in the works right now. The Hollywood Reporter reminds everyone that the Wachowskis are still putting together "their Iraqi war movie CN-9," about which we also know a great deal. As The Reporter tells it, the film is "told from the point of view of archeologists piecing together events from the U.S. occupation of Iraq using found footage [which] includes two male soldiers falling in love and a plot to assassinate George W. Bush." The film, also known as Cobalt Neutral 9, is still in want of additional financing.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/heat-vision/wachowskis-warner-bros-aim-hood-57312]

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
"They've reportedly approached Will Smith, who infamously passed when they offered him the role of Neo in The Matrix. Yes, that happened. "
I actually didn't know this.

"Welcome to the real world Neo."
"AAAWWW HELLLL NO!"

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
And Hollywood wonders why they can't get people into movie theaters anymore. Oi vey.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
I like the sound of this.

It may be unoriginal, but it intrigues me on some primal level.

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
Uh, why are they doing this at all? Seems a BIT too early for another Robin Hood movie to me. [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0955308/] I mean it may be a modern take, but still...

Oh well, Will Smith does have a decent film record for this kind of role, I suppose.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
On one hand, I expect some sort of spiel on how evil rich businessman are, but on the other, Will Smith. I'm torn.

Oct 14, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
Why do we need a modern Robin Hood?
Have you considered becoming a Hollywood executive? Because obviously no one who currently is bothers to ask such important questions.

We don't need a modern Robin Hood. We don't need an olde Robin Hoode. We don't need any more Robin Hood movies at all. Anymore. Ever.

Now a Sly Cooper movie, on the other hand...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
PayJ567 said:
Wait didn't Robin Hood have a black companion or something. Casting the main guy as black makes this ridiculously stupid.

Still will smith is good at what he does, maybe they will cake him in flour before shooting the scene.
Did you not read the story? It's a modern version.

OT: Meh.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Eh... I'll see it. The new gritty reboot of Robin Hood was 'okay' at best, so maybe Will Smith can spice it up a bit.

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
This just in. Will smith rejected the wachowski brothers again, they make millions with other actor, again.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
Oh for frak's sake... REALLY

I'd call it more a 're-imagining altogether' as oppose to making it modern, really. You just know it won't be anything like Robin Hood in ANY way. They'll just use the name to rip off elements of the story and draw people in.

Shame really cos I like Will Smith's movies! I just don't like the sound of this!

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Hood? Really? To quote Mr. Smith, "Aww HELL Nawww!"

Fuck, that is the most cringe-inducing title I've read in... five seconds, actually. I have a list of shitty movie names open in another tab.

I'm not saying the movie won't be good, but the title makes it seem really silly. And Will Smith doesn't strike me as Robin Hood. If they were set on a black guy, Samuel L. Jackson would make an awesome Robin Hood.