Matrix Online Goes Out With Style

Noirez

Aug 1, 2009
I'm also pretty surprised that of all things, a Matrix MMOPG would fail. You would think that it would be the perfect universe for an online massively multiplayer game.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Next April Fools day I demand they do something like this for WOW.

But with that I believe the Matrix franchise finally ends.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
*wipes tears from eyes* What? No, I've just got something in my eyes...

I would personally love to know how it all ended, though. What was the ending like? What happened, storyline-wise? Anyone know?

Standby

Jul 24, 2008
Jeronus said:
I find it wierd that a company would turn its failure into something that people can enjoy. Most companies wouldn't waste anymore time or money on a dying project. It is like putting firecrackers on a dying plant. It may seem entertaining but from a business standpoint it is a waste of firecrackers.
You could argue however that in doing so, it would make the company go up one step in the eyes of consumers, something that after Star Wars: Galaxies, SOE really needs to do.

Earthbound

Aug 13, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Is Ashron's call or Everquest or Anarchy online or City of heroes still online and still have a lot players still playing?
City of Heroes is still up. They've got a 14-day free trial that I just finished, though they cap you at level 13 or so. A good way to check up on all the MMOs that populate the world is MMOHut. They've reviewed a couple hundred of them and keep track of the size of the playerbases.

InvisibleMilk

Nov 19, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
shadowgaunt said:
Wasn't there another MMO that did something like this not too long ago?
That would be Tabula Rasa.

The idea was unstoppable aliens would attack and wipe everyone out. It was something of a boob though as the unstoppable alien invasion was in fact beaten back by the players, which was awesome.
The game ended anyway, it just so happened that it got to go out on an emphatic victory rather than the Doomsday device.
Haha, yeah I was there.

Good times. I miss Tabula Rasa

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
So Age of Conan would end with the army of Picts invading Aquilonia? That would be damn hilarious to watch.

Woem

May 28, 2009
That's a nice way to go. Is there an image gallery or are there videos of this apocalyptic event? And what aren't they available on http://mxo.warcry.com yet...

Salem_Wolf

Jul 9, 2009
vivaldiscool said:
:( I was planning on trying this out someday.
Dude, definitely, I was gonna try it out, I wish I hadn't waited so long, I loved the trilogy despite what others said of the last two movies...darn procrastination and World of Warcraft. *sigh* RIP Matrix Online.

raankh

Nov 28, 2007
The beta ended the same way. I stopped playing mxo a month after release, but I was there for the end of the beta. That was epic.

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
You see, now that is what we want from game designer nowadays! Even thou their game was been shut down they still put all the effort in to make it fun for the players // You can see your realm fallin apart around you, as it would have been if the matrix did crash in the movie (which it kind of did)

Can you image what the people at Blizz would do if WoW was ever to close (which it someday will)

-M

Beeple

Apr 16, 2009
Shame it wasn't so much of a bang as it was a whimper...

The best part about the event was everybody returning for the last day, I loved MxO and wished I'd have played it more than I did, but alas all things must come to an end.

Farewell MxO!

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
midnightalone said:
You see, now that is what we want from game designer nowadays! Even thou their game was been shut down they still put all the effort in to make it fun for the players // You can see your realm fallin apart around you, as it would have been if the matrix did crash in the movie (which it kind of did)

Can you image what the people at Blizz would do if WoW was ever to close (which it someday will)

-M
Switch to Blizzard's new MMO.

Also bravo to Matrix Online! If you're going to die, at least die in style.